Tropical Storm
Create Post

Thread: Tropical Storm

Tropical Storm

First off, I'll admit.... I'm from Michigan we don't get any cool storms so I have no idea how intense they can be.

What happens during training if a tropical storm/hurricane hits the island during training?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You get wet if you go outside.

They curtail training, of course. Can't have platoons of recruits being blown around the depot. Might get the drill instructors hurt.

Don't get cool storms in Michigan? I'm from there and I've been through some nasty storms. Not cool, but nasty. And hurricanes are nastier, except for tornadoes that hit you head on. See the news reports on the ex-towns in Kansas.

Live through one direct hit tornado or hurricane and you won't think any storm is cool. This is kind of like thinking getting shot in the head is cool. Good grief.

I enjoy science and all that. Hence I think storms are interesting. Although, I will agree very dangerous! Being shot in the head is not cool, point understood!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Depot Hurricane Procedures
    Hurricane Conditions and Categories
    Condition IV - The path of the hurricane has been reasonably well established, and its trend indicates a possible threat of winds of destructive force* within 72 hours.
    Condition III
    - The hurricane continues to advance and destructive force* winds are possible
    within 48 hours.
    Condition II - Winds of destructive force* are anticipated within 24 hours.
    Condition I
    - Winds of destructive force* are imminent or expected within 12 hours
    (also applies when storm is in progress).

*destructive force means 40 miles per hour or more

Condition V - Secure from previous destructive weather condition.
    Threat has passed, return to normal operations.

Report all storm damage to the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at: (843) 525-2458/3716/3056
    Categories:
    Category One - Winds 74-95 mph. 4'-5' surge. Minimal damage.
    Category Two
    - Winds 96-110 mph. 6'-8' surge. Moderate damage.
    Category Three
    - Winds 111-130 mph. 9'-12' surge. Extensive damage.
    Category Four - Winds 131-155 mph. 13'-18' surge. Extreme damage.
    Category Five
    - Winds greater than 155 mph. 18'+ surge. Catastrophic damage.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is a good question! Where do they take the recruites?

Quote Originally Posted by davblay
    That is a good question! Where do they take the recruites?
    If you notice there is a tropical storm right by PI right now! I realize its nothing big but made me think!

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Barracks Lockdown...Box lunches from mess hall,study,&quarterdeck games. Depending on category move the recruits from upper to lower decks in series barracks. Training schedule is curtailed until condition is lifted.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Blooper
    Barracks Lockdown...Box lunches from mess hall,study,&quarterdeck games. Depending on category move the recruits from upper to lower decks in series barracks. Training schedule is curtailed until condition is lifted.
    Thanks, I really didn't know! I went to San Diego. Tropical storms are rare out there, ya know?

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    You get wet if you go outside.
    LOL!

well in japan you buy your six pack a day fro the 7day store so you can always keep your fridge stocked with beer and when a typhoon comes you get on lock down and drink all day and night

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by killerinstinct
    well in japan you buy your six pack a day fro the 7day store so you can always keep your fridge stocked with beer and when a typhoon comes you get on lock down and drink all day and night
    Were those not F U N or what??????

We got hit in NC twice while I was there- and once when we were doing an op in Yuma. Simply put, I think the whole thing is overrated. It was like a bad thunderstorm that laster for a few hours. We sat around and watched TV for a while, drank some beer, and complained about having to undo everything we did to get ready for the storm. It isn't that big of a deal.

Yep, the typhoons made for a lot of fun! That is as long as you weren't in the duty section or had duty SNCO.

It was even more fun in VN, we watched the Air Force fly most of their personnel and planes out of Danang. Then, since I was on the disaster team, got to stay in MAG HQ, read books, eat c-rats, and generally be bored till the typhoon passed us by.

No tropical storms in MCRDSD, just earthquakes/tremors that really freaked recruits from other than CA.!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by killerinstinct
    I was at Iwakuni when we got hit by a typhoon. One of my wisdom teeth had impacted and I was in agony - couldn't get to dental because we were in Condition One. I couldn't sleep for the pain, so I stood radio watch basically 24-hours a day for three days.

Somebody gave me a bottle of whiskey I used to soak my sore tooth area in and that helped dull the pain. No, I did not drink the stuff. Didn't like whiskey.

I've been run over by two tornadoes, two typhoons, and four hurricanes. Plus a few tropical storms. They ain't cool.

Quote Originally Posted by semperfi170
    Yep, the typhoons made for a lot of fun! That is as long as you weren't in the duty section or had duty SNCO.

It was even more fun in VN, we watched the Air Force fly most of their personnel and planes out of Danang. Then, since I was on the disaster team, got to stay in MAG HQ, read books, eat c-rats, and generally be bored till the typhoon passed us by.

No tropical storms in MCRDSD, just earthquakes/tremors that really freaked recruits from other than CA.!!
    speaking of there was a tremmor in iwakuni from a 5.0 in 2000 . my sgt being a dick pushed my ass out of the way to get in the doorway.. i sorta was laughing he looked like he was ****ting his pants.

I was in bootcamp in August 1985, there was a Hurricane coming. Rained like crazy. We got wet. then we did drill inside. Just as they were getting ready to bus off the island, the storm changed direction and we got wet some more.

Then in the East China Sea we hit the edge of a typhoon on a LST. (flat bottom ship). They came around and handed us straps. We had to strap ourselves into our racks. I slept like a baby, however, most wasn't that lucky.

Thread Information