RE4 code but want back in..
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

RE4 code but want back in..

I got out after 10 years with a honarable discharge but a RE4 code. Due to a NJP i got while i was in. But I sooo want back in.. i am willing to go to boot camp again.. or come back in as a private.. anything.. my boys are in iraq right now and i want to be there with them.. can anyone help??? i have always been told that i can get my RE code upgraded..

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    These codes are contained on military discharge documents and determine whether or not one may reenlist or enlist in a military service at a later time. In general, those who receive a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of 1 may reenlist in their previous service or another service with no problem. Individuals with a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of "2" may usually reenlist in their service or another service with various restrictions, or if the circumstances which resulted in the code no longer apply. Individuals with a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of "3" can normally reenlist in their service or another Service, but will probably require a waiver to be processed. Individuals with a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of "4" are normally not eligible to reenlist in their service, nor join another service.
    RE- 1
    Eligible for reenlistment
    RE-1A
    RE-2
    Ineligible for reenlistment. Recommended for reenlistment but ineligible because of status: Fleet Reservist Retired (except for transfer to TDRL), Commissioned Officer. Warrant 0fficer, Midshipman, Cadet.
    RE-3A
    Failure to meet area aptitude prerequisites. Fully qualified for enlistment, provided mental criteria of table 2-1 are met. Alien.
    RE-3B
    Restricted assignment. Parenthood. Pregnancy.
    RE-3C
    Reenlistment authorized by CMC only. Ineligible for enlistment, unless waiver is granted. Conscientious Objector.
    RE-3D
    Failure to meet disciplinary standards. Ineligible for enlistment, unless waiver is granted. Demonstrated dependency or hardship not meeting criteria specified in Bupersman article C-10308.
    RE-3E
    Failure to meet education prerequisites. Fully qualified for enlistment provided education criteria is met. Erroneous induction.
    RE-3F
    Erroneous enlistment.
    RE-3G
    Condition (not physical disability) interfering with performance of duty.
    RE-3H
    Hardship
    RE-3K
    Disenrolled from Naval Academy, not considered qualified for enlisted status.
    RE-3M
    Marriage
    RE-3N
    Importance to national health, safety or interest.
    RE-3P
    Physical disability (includes discharge and transfer to TDRL). Obesity. Motion sickness. Disqualified for officer candidate training.
    RE-3R
    Rank reappointment restriction. Ineligible for reenlist unless wavered
    RE-3R
    Professional growth criteria. Ineligible for reenlist unless wavered
    RE-3S
    Sole surviving son
    RE-3T
    Overweight
    RE-3U
    Minority
    RE-4
    Not recommended for reenlistment

This does not mean that you can't apply for a waiver if the Recruiter wants to pursue it! Talk to a Recuiter!

Quote Originally Posted by davblay
    These codes are contained on military discharge documents and determine whether or not one may reenlist or enlist in a military service at a later time. In general, those who receive a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of 1 may reenlist in their previous service or another service with no problem. Individuals with a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of "2" may usually reenlist in their service or another service with various restrictions, or if the circumstances which resulted in the code no longer apply. Individuals with a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of "3" can normally reenlist in their service or another Service, but will probably require a waiver to be processed. Individuals with a Navy/Marine/Coast Guard RE Code of "4" are normally not eligible to reenlist in their service, nor join another service.
    RE- 1
    RE-1A
    RE-2
    Ineligible for reenlistment. Recommended for reenlistment but ineligible because of status: Fleet Reservist Retired (except for transfer to TDRL), Commissioned Officer. Warrant 0fficer, Midshipman, Cadet.
    RE-3A
    Failure to meet area aptitude prerequisites. Fully qualified for enlistment, provided mental criteria of table 2-1 are met. Alien.
    RE-3B
    Restricted assignment. Parenthood. Pregnancy.
    RE-3C
    Reenlistment authorized by CMC only. Ineligible for enlistment, unless waiver is granted. Conscientious Objector.
    RE-3D
    Failure to meet disciplinary standards. Ineligible for enlistment, unless waiver is granted. Demonstrated dependency or hardship not meeting criteria specified in Bupersman article C-10308.
    RE-3E
    Failure to meet education prerequisites. Fully qualified for enlistment provided education criteria is met. Erroneous induction.
    RE-3F
    Erroneous enlistment.
    RE-3G
    Condition (not physical disability) interfering with performance of duty.
    RE-3H
    Hardship
    RE-3K
    Disenrolled from Naval Academy, not considered qualified for enlisted status.
    RE-3M
    Marriage
    RE-3N
    Importance to national health, safety or interest.
    RE-3P
    Physical disability (includes discharge and transfer to TDRL). Obesity. Motion sickness. Disqualified for officer candidate training.
    RE-3R
    Rank reappointment restriction. Ineligible for reenlist unless wavered
    RE-3R
    Professional growth criteria. Ineligible for reenlist unless wavered
    RE-3S
    Sole surviving son
    RE-3T
    Overweight
    RE-3U
    Minority
    RE-4
    Not recommended for reenlistment

This does not mean that you can't apply for a waiver if the Recruiter wants to pursue it! Talk to a Recuiter!
    I talked to a recruiter when i first got out and he led me to belive i needed to send a request to the board of naval corrections to get my code upgraded first...
    Also i think there are a few different RE4 codes.. like RE4a and b i only got a RE4 but i think there are more. not that it matters.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This is from the Marine Corps Recruiting Regulations! RE-4's are just that---RE-4!

at least you got a re code because I refused to extend so as to be able to complete a 2 year tour on the drill field I didn't get a re code on my dd-214
    I suppose this meant that I can't ever go back into the Marine Corps but did do a tour in the Air Force Reserves

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iamcloudlander
    at least you got a re code because I refused to extend so as to be able to complete a 2 year tour on the drill field I didn't get a re code on my dd-214
    I suppose this meant that I can't ever go back into the Marine Corps but did do a tour in the Air Force Reserves
    Most 214's today do not have the RE code on your copy! You can request a complete copy of the 214/w RE codes from military personal records center! If you served in the Air force reserve, then that 214 supersedes your first one from the Corps!

i know this is a streach.... but.. i got out in 99 with a RE1 and stayed out for like 8 months then got back in.. then the next time i got out i got the RE4,.... is it possible to get back in or in another branch by using my old dd214?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo5delta
    i know this is a streach.... but.. i got out in 99 with a RE1 and stayed out for like 8 months then got back in.. then the next time i got out i got the RE4,.... is it possible to get back in or in another branch by using my old dd214?
    It is probably possible but would be a fraudulant enlistment. Don't even try that route.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo5delta
    Think about it Man, The Corps is not that stupid or desperate for men! The RE 4 will not go away without your help! It's your responsibility to upgrade it to something more usable! The Department of the Navy will not volunteer to do that for you, you have to initiate the step yourself! HQMC put that code in there for a reason and the recruiters know how to deal with it, one on one! Chances are if the Recruiter said "NO", that's it! But if he gave you advice as to how to handle it, then follow his instructions!

We Marines are here to give advice, within our scope, to Poolees and fellow Marines in need! But we are not authorized to upgrade your 214!

I have a RE-3P, and I can't get back in....so if you all have a RE-4, give it up! But if you can get back in let me know how you did it!

Maurice

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ssgtt32
    I have a RE-3P, and I can't get back in....so if you all have a RE-4, give it up! But if you can get back in let me know how you did it!

Maurice
    I had a RE 3P from the Corps but a waiver was approved for enlistment into the Army! I did my time in the Corps, got hurt in Nam, spent 9 months in a hospital, then got caught in the downsizing of 1971 and was discharged (medical)! The Army took about 4 weeks to approve my waiver, I stayed 19 1/2 years in the Army National Guard, Reserves and Active duty (for two years) as a Recruiter!

So depending on why you were issued that RE 3P, it may be waivered!

I was injured in Boot by the DI (no hard feelings; it was a pre-existing condition that was 100% fixed) He just a bit rough. I have no clue what RE code I am; was ELS after the incident for a chronic dislocating shoulder (would dislocate everytime it was above the shoulder...) I have been told by different people that i could get back in, and others that it was hopeless... change branches. I am only going to go back in if I can finish my Training in the Marines; the problem is though my shoulder is extremely tight; it causes considerable pain (nothing I can't work through) and I have lost a bit of movement when putting it behind my back. Is there any chance that I could get back in? Also they wanted to put my on disability; i jsut felt i should have medical coverage on my shoulder; once again I was told there was no issue what so ever that I could get that, and often told that i would get disability Pay (which i would decline). I feel that I should get medical coverage in case a set back happens. How do i pursue this further? I keep looking at my DD214 and see that it says "Marine" and "Veteran" I earned neither but want to go back so i can.

Any one give me some advice or tips getting back in

-Deich

Quote Originally Posted by davblay
    Think about it Man, The Corps is not that stupid or desperate for men! The RE 4 will not go away without your help! It's your responsibility to upgrade it to something more usable! The Department of the Navy will not volunteer to do that for you, you have to initiate the step yourself! HQMC put that code in there for a reason and the recruiters know how to deal with it, one on one! Chances are if the Recruiter said "NO", that's it! But if he gave you advice as to how to handle it, then follow his instructions!

We Marines are here to give advice, within our scope, to Poolees and fellow Marines in need! But we are not authorized to upgrade your 214!
    Im not asking YOU to upgrade it... im Asking for informtion on how to get the bll rolling for getting back in.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Deich ,

The key word that you stated was "Pre existing" condition.
    it was a pre-existing condition
    This being stated you can argue for coverage until your last days and you won't get it from the VA. I am not following this,
    100% fixed
    If it is 100% fixed,how's it broke? If it was first time injured in bootcamp you could have a chance. Waivers are possible for almost anything if you get it on the right day and right person...however I believe you are not going to get one to re-enlist (sic) in the Marine Corps.

During my freshman year of college my shoulder became instable and would dislocate when i lifted it above my head. I had surgery that fixed the problem and was labeled as 100% go by my doctor; a surgeron who does surgeries for the Indiana Pacers and other NBA players, so it was done by the best of the best. I waited the manditory year after surgery to enlist and then was approved without a wavier for enlistment, they knew about my shoulder. In boot camp my shoulder was "shredded" (the surgeon's terms) because of a DI's actions; I hold nothing against him even though he did violate my rights of a recruit. I was not a **** bird and made squad leader before being sent to RSP. it was just a seris of mishaps, they knew about my past surgery; so it wasn't fradulent enlistment. And they didn't put me on a wavier. After i was discharged I went in for the same procedure on my shoulder; I now have some limited movement (can't move it behind my back as far) and some pain (but thats life and I can deal with it). I want back in first and foremost, but I also feel that the VA should cover my shoulder in the future because it is weaker now. I want nothing else from the VA, i would decline anything else.

is this un-reasonable? I can do pull ups still and am applying to police academy after i graduate in a year

Thread Information