Almost half of Marines surveyed favor torture
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Exclamation Almost half of Marines surveyed favor torture

Almost half of Marines surveyed favor torture
    By Kimberly Johnson - Staff writer
    Posted : Thursday May 3, 2007 21:37:05 EDT

About 44 percent of Marines in a survey believe torture should be allowed if it would save the life of a fellow Marine, according to a 2006 military mental health assessment.

In addition, only slightly more than one-third of the nearly 450 leathernecks polled in Iraq last year — 38 percent — told members of the Mental Health Advisory Team that they believe all non-combatants should be treated with dignity and respect. That finding was notably lower than the 47 percent of soldiers who were asked that same question, according to briefing slides presented by the team of Army medical officers to Commandant Gen. James Conway on April 18.

The team was commissioned by U.S. Central Command. A copy of the study’s results was obtained by Marine Corps Times.

A Corps spokesman did not dispute the team’s findings. “We are convinced that in broad outline this is an honest, sincere and faithful effort that attempts to accurately capture what our Marines think and do in combat,” said Corps spokesman Lt. Col. Scott Fazekas. “It is one more set of data in a series that has taken on tough issues. We will closely consider the report and its recommendations.”

The study also found that 39 percent believe torture should be allowed to gather information about insurgents, and 17 percent said all non-combatants should be treated as insurgents.

About one in 10 Marines reported mistreating non-combatants, the briefing slides said.

At the same time, Marines are racking up considerable combat experience, the study found. More than half of Marines, or 58 percent, polled have experienced roadside bombs or booby traps, and about the same amount found themselves on the receiving end of small-arms fire.

Troops with high levels of combat were more likely to engage in unethical behaviors than troops with low levels of combat, the briefing slides said.

The study’s findings go against Corps basics, said one retired general.

“Treating people with dignity and respect is a value taught to Marines from the time they enter their initial training and throughout their careers, so this result, to me, is inexplicable,” said retired Lt. Gen. Paul Van Riper, who formerly commanded Marine Corps Combat Development Command at Quantico, Va.

The study also found that only 40 percent of Marines said they would report a unit member for injuring or killing an innocent non-combatant, whereas 55 percent of soldiers affirmed that they would turn in a fellow soldier for wrongdoing.

Such statistics could indicate “a misplaced loyalty to other members of the unit vice a higher loyalty the Corps expects with regard to regulations,” Van Riper said. “If so, this is not a difficult problem to overcome with proper training.”

The three-month study began in August 2006, just two months after the Corps made “Warrior Ethics” refresher training mandatory for those deployed in Iraq, following allegations of battlefield misconduct in Hadithah and Hamdaniya.

The real impact of those classes, however, probably isn’t reflected in the study, Van Riper said.

“It takes longer than [two months] for that to take hold,” and effects likely wouldn’t be seen until after months of training, he said.

The study’s findings did not surprise at least one military legal expert. “It’s only natural that people are going to support and defend each other, with their life if they have too,” said Matthew Freedus, adviser for the Washington, D.C.-based National Institute of Military Justice.

What is troubling, Freedus noted, was the base-line account that at most, only half of soldiers would be willing to turn in a fellow soldier for injuring or killing a non-combatant. “There needs to be better training at the front end so people don’t think it is inconsistent to report,” he said.

Freedus acknowledged that there are significant challenges in going up against that “circle the wagons” attitude. “It’s a cultural thing to some degree, and you can’t train that out of people,” he said.

The study’s findings underscore the need for on-site counseling and R&R, said retired Army Maj. Gen. Robert Scales. Issues raised, however, don’t necessarily reflect leadership, but instead the need for attention to the psychological and human element of combat readiness, Scales said.

“Marines are prepared physically, but there’s not enough that’s being done for mental conditioning,” going into combat, he said.

The study’s findings point to a larger issue, he added.

“If you read through the lines here, you will see the crucible of battle. It tells you, when you fight the long war, regenerating that crucible of courage and morale has to be done more and more,” Scales said.

“Every soldier and Marine knows what’s right, but once combat fatigue sets in, that starts to fall away,” he said. “The more rotations into Iraq, the more likely he was to give the wrong answers to those questions, and that is significant.”

Ellie

If it means saving ONE MARINE'S life, I am going to use pliers to tear some gonads off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! or fingernail or toenails or electric wires to wee willy or waterboarding or razors to the face or, well, you get the picture. **** the PC crowd and the bleedingheards!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

OLE SARG=====You are 100% right.

I'd be interested in seeing this "survey".
    What was the definition used for "torture"?
    Who are the "non-combatants"? Innocent civilians, somebody found lingering around places of interest, etc.
    Are the surveys given to all troops, just the front-line guys, just the remf's... ?
    What is the bottom line this survey is geared for? Training needs, how to evaluate combat related stress issues, or developing ammo for the bureaucrats to justify more hand-tying of military commanders?
    I always hold these "surveys" suspect. The results often end up in the wrong hands to act on them constructively.

BlahBlahBlah. Color me 'un' impressed.

Ask a WWII Marine at Tarawa these questions. Or Iwo.

That having been said, you do catch more flies with honey, long term....but short term needs oftimes outweigh long term intelligence.

Situation dictates on a case by case basis, IMO.

It seems strange that everytime the Army comes up with any survey, fact-finding (read witchhunt) that involves the Marines, we always seem to come out looking like the bad guys. What B.S.!

I agree with the previous posts, if torture saves the life of fellow Marines so be it.

Credits
    Savings
    The definition of a war crime is something the enemy does, selectively something we didn't do.

Bombing civilians (cities) is not a crime, because we do it.

Ah, ha ! The Germans opened the dike's in the Netherlands and flooded the country side causing catastrophic flooding of agriculture territory. War Crime !

Guess who bombed the dams in Korea causing catastrophic flooding of agricultural territory ?

Clue, it wasn't Hitler

The definition of 'war crime' is whatever the victors WANT it to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    BlahBlahBlah. Color me 'un' impressed.

Ask a WWII Marine at Tarawa these questions. Or Iwo.

That having been said, you do catch more flies with honey, long term....but short term needs oftimes outweigh long term intelligence.

Situation dictates on a case by case basis, IMO.
    i always found **** got more flies

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    The definition of 'war crime' is whatever the victors WANT it to be.
    Just think if Adolf wrote history

War crime is like hate crime... Its redundant.

Did anyone see the two things that Skillets posted the other day? One was pics of U.S. War Crimes and the other a video of Insurgent treatment of a prisoner.
    Post them again would you Skillets?

SF

Dave

What a bunch of horsechit .2 month of "warrior ethics training" isn't gonna take the loyalty that is in the hearts and sharp minds we MARINES have had instilled in us from the yellow foot prints on .I don't think any amount of time will take our loyalty to eachother. Those fat azz army pukes have no pride so it's easy for them to take the easy way out and save themselves.How's the old saying go loose lips sink ships and thats what the media is TRYING to turn our Marines in to and they say Marines are brainwashed what is the media doing to AMERICA?Just my 2 cents anyone agree?

Amen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Coup
    Did anyone see the two things that Skillets posted the other day? One was pics of U.S. War Crimes and the other a video of Insurgent treatment of a prisoner.
    Post them again would you Skillets?

SF

Dave
    Sure...

Abu Ghraib Hardly all that bad... I did some of this at bootcamp.

AQIZ treatment of prisonersGRAPHIC!!! My heart BREAKS when I see this.

Thread Information