Marine Corps Drops Student After Essay
Create Post
    Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member

Marine Corps Drops Student After Essay

By MEGAN REICHGOTT (Associated Press Writer)
    From Associated Press
    April 27, 2007 8:21 PM EDT
    CHICAGO - Allen Lee was on the verge of realizing a dream to become a Marine after signing enlistment papers this month. But one violent, profanity-laced English essay later, the 18-year-old's future with the Marine Corps appears to be over.
    Because of pending criminal charges stemming from his essay, Lee's recruiter told him Friday that the Marine Corps has discharged him from his contract, said Sgt. Luis R. Agostini, spokesman for the Marine Corps Recruiting Station Chicago.
    "Basically, he is no longer an applicant to become a Marine," Agostini said.
    The senior at suburban Cary-Grove High School was charged this week with two misdemeanor counts of disorderly conduct after the principal turned his creative writing essay over to police.
    Lee initially faced just one charge, but an amended complaint filed Thursday cited a second passage.
    "In light of recent events (at Virginia Tech), that is part of the context of what happened that makes the reaction all the more reasonable," said Tom Carroll, first assistant state's attorney in McHenry County.
    Lee, who has a 4.2 grade-point average and never has been in trouble before, is being tutored at administrative offices while school officials decide his future, said his lawyer, Thomas Loizzo.
    The charges are a product of paranoia, born of the massacre of 32 students at Virginia Tech by a social outcast who then killed himself, Loizzo said.
    "Once the dust settles, once they look at this through clearer glasses, we think that the state will do the right thing and dismiss the charges," Loizzo said.
    The essay, written Monday, reads in part, "Blood, sex and booze. Drugs, drugs, drugs are fun. Stab, stab, stab, stab, stab, s...t...a...b...puke. So I had this dream last night where I went into a building, pulled out two P90s and started shooting everyone, then had sex with the dead bodies. Well, not really, but it would be funny if I did."
    The teacher told students: "'Be creative; there will be no judgment and no censorship,'" Thomas Loizzo said. "There was never any warning from the teacher that if she determined the paper to be offensive, she would then pass it along to the authorities."
    School district spokesman Jeff Puma declined to discuss the specifics of the essay or Lee's future, citing privacy concerns.
    "The essay was inappropriate in that it caused a question about safety," Puma said.
    The charges could result in a $1,500 fine and as many as 30 days in jail if Lee is convicted.
    Lee hopes to re-enlist if the charges are cleared and he's allowed to return to school, said his other attorney, Dane Loizzo.
    Lee wrote in a statement provided by his attorney that he has completed military entrance exams, including a psychiatric evaluation.
    "If I'm qualified to defend the country, I believe I'm qualified to attend school," he wrote.

Ho Teacher needs ass kicked real hard!!!!!!!!!!!!! Teacher lied to students - is that setting a good example???????

SEMPER FI,

I have dreams where deer hunt me, and fish go peopling.........

Teen's essay
    Editor's note and language advisory: Below is what Cary-Grove High School student Allen Lee says he wrote, according to his lawyer. The essay contains language some readers may find offensive. Advertisement

April 27, 2007

Blood sex and Booze. Drugs Drugs Drugs are fun. Stab, Stab, Stab, S…t…a…b…, poke. "So I had this dream last night where I went into a building, pulled out two P90s and started shooting everyone…, then had sex with the dead bodies. Well, not really, but it would be funny if I did." Umm, yeah, what to wright about…… I'm leaving to join the Marines and I really don't give a (obscenity) about my academics, so why does the only class that's complete Bull ****, happen to be the only required class…enough said. The model citizen would stay around to vote in new board member to change the 4 years of English policy, but no one really stays around to vote for that kind of local crap, so whoever gets there name on the Ballet with a pretty face gets to do what the (obscenity) ever they want with local ordinance. A person is smart, but people are dumb selfish animals. We can't make rules for ourselves so we vote others to do it for us, but we can't even do that right, I meen seriously, Bush for President? And our other option was John Kerry who claimed to parktake in Vietnam Special Forces missions that haven't been declassified….(obscenity) Bull ****. So Power Flower Super Mario. Pudge, hook, rot, dismember "Fresh Meat." Mostly new/young teachers are laid back, and cooperative with students as feedback and input into the curriculum and atmosphere. My current English teacher is a control freak intent on setting a gap between herself and her students like a 63 year old white male fortune 500 company CEO, and a illegal immigrant. If CG was a private catholic school, I could understand, but wtf is her problem. And baking brownies and rice crispies does not make up for it, way to try and justify yourself as a good teacher while underhandedly looking for complements on your cooking. No quarrel on you qualifications as a writer, but as a teacher, don't be surprised on inspiring the first cg shooting.

(The following is Lee's explanation of the essay above, given to the media by his lawyer.)

Authors Note: This production of writing is done in the most accurate manner I can depict of the original writing. Grammar and spelling mistakes are included at the best accuracy possible. The first phrase in questions is in fact a Green Day song. The second reference to drugs is in relation to the schools history of drug problems. I am personally clean of all controlled substances. The statement in quotes is done so as a non personal statement as I would have done in reference to a character for a story. The reference to the gun P90 is from a video game, combined with a reference to necrophilia as a comment regarding a seriously messed up situation. A situation such as the rape of villagers during a raid by U.S. troops in Vietnam. I really do not care too much about by continuing academia as in relation to grades. I do however believe on continuing my personal education, and I am actually still working for my classes. My views on the graduation requirements explain themselves. The reference to Mario and Pudge( a DOTA character) are completely random as is this essay. The reference to a person being smart and people being dumb is based on a quote from "Men in Black." I generally do believe the public opinion is best. The rest of the essay is rather self explanatory, the main statement in question I have already released a comment online about. I request that all information I have released is read together, and nothing given separately or as an excerpt as the administration has seen fit to do.

On an additional note, I have completed the MEPS (Military Entry Processing Station) examinations, and yes a psychiatric evaluation is included in the process. If I'm qualified to defend the country, I believe I'm qualified to attend school.

Ellie

Essay just a story, teen says
    Cary-Grove senior fights for right to go back to school; Marines revoke his enlistment Advertisement

By Carolyn Starks, Tribune staff reporter; Tribune staff reporter Liam Ford contributed to this report

April 28, 2007

Like many misunderstood writers, a Cary-Grove High School senior arrested for turning in a provocative class essay offered an "author's note" Friday by way of explanation.

In it, Allen Lee said his reference to "shooting everyone" and "having sex with the dead bodies" was not a personal statement but words a character in a story might say, which explained why the sentence was in quotations.

His references to drugs, he said, were a comment on drug problems at the school.

"On an additional note, I have completed the Military Entry Processing Station examinations, and yes a psychiatric evaluation is included in the process," wrote Lee, 18, who plans to join the Marines. "If I'm qualified to defend the country, I believe I am qualified to attend school."

However, the Marines informed the student Friday that they have discharged him from the enlistment program because of the incident, but that he could reapply if the charges were dropped. Lee said he couldn't comment, but his lawyer said his client was crushed.

"He was looking forward to serving his country," Dane Loizzo said. "I told him this is just a bump in the road."

On Friday, Loizzo released what he said was a copy of the complete essay, which was laced with obscenities, violent images and boozy song lyrics. The 342-word essay also ridiculed Lee's English teacher and her creative writing class.

"My current English teacher is a control freak intent on setting a gap between herself and her students," Lee said in his essay written in class on Monday.

Although students were warned that they couldn't threaten anyone in their writings, Lee said he assumed those parameters were removed when the teacher told the class to take 30 minutes and write whatever came to mind -- without worrying about censorship.

"She told us to exaggerate our feelings," Lee said, standing outside his home in northwest suburban Cary. "So I did."

Exaggeration or not, the school principal contacted Cary police, who arrested Lee, an A-student and athlete, while he walked to school on Tuesday. He was charged with two counts of disorderly conduct, a misdemeanor that carries up to 30 days in jail and a $1,500 fine.

Loizzo said the teen's family decided to release the entire essay to the media because the criminal complaint quoted only the two most inflammatory passages.

Describing the composition as a rant from a smart-aleck kid, Loizzo said authorities took Lee's words out of context.

"We have no choice but to say, 'Here's the rest of it, and you [the public] can put it into context,'
    " Loizzo said.

Lee's beginning phrase -- "Blood, sex and Booze" -- was a reference to a song by the band Green Day, Loizzo said. Lee, he said, had been singing those words in his head that morning and so they were the first words he jotted down when the teacher told the class to start writing.

Then he wrote: "Drugs Drugs Drugs are fun. Stab, Stab, Stab, S...t...a...b..., poke. So I had this dream last night where I went into a building, pulled out two P90s and started shooting everyone ..., then had sex with the dead bodies. Well, not really, but it would be funny if I did."

Prosecutors said Lee's most alarming statement was his last sentence: "No quarrel on you qualifications as a writer, but as a teacher, don't be surprised on inspiring the first cg [Cary-Grove] shooting."

Lee admitted Friday that the sentence was directed toward his English teacher, Nora K. Capron. He said he was making a generalized statement about how bored students were in her class.

In his essay, Lee ridiculed Capron for apparently baking brownies and "rice crispies" treats for her students.

Capron couldn't be reached for comment.

Loizzo said he wants to meet next week with school officials to try to work out a resolution. Officials with Community High School District 155 could not be reached for comment.

But McHenry County State's Atty. Lou Bianchi said he was willing to consider a resolution.

With one month left in the school year, Lee said he hoped he could return to school and earn his diploma.

Although neither suspended nor expelled, Lee has been forced to attend classes elsewhere.

"I have my AP calculus exam in one week," he said, referring to a college preparatory test. "Am I supposed to show up?"

Ellie

Credits
    Savings

What an oxymoron compared to this

After I had quit high school my senior year and joined the Marines, my high school sweet hearts new boyfriend personally threatened to kill his gay art teacher and was expelled from high school. No high school would take him. His dad made him join the Marines.

I bumped into him in 11th Marines 1961 by shear coincidence just before he left for Kaneohe his new duty assignment and to marry my ex.

I saw him at our fortieth class reunion in 2000, his marriage to my old flame lasted only four years. He obtained the rank of Gunnery Sergeant, wounded in Vietnam and was a drill instructor.

All he wants to talk about is the Marine Corps.

BTW, the old flame is a multi-millionaire that lives close to Kaneohe in Kailua

It seems that what this kid wrote about is all our kids see in "the public school system", i.e., teachers afraid to discipline bratty, smartass, punk, kids whose parents leave parenting to the school system, profanity in the hallways that teachers cannot take corrective action on, sex in the hallways and bathrooms, etc!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Something is wrong when you have to have policemen in the highschool hallways.

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    Maybe? If he didn't call his teacher a control freak..everything would be all right.Then he could join the Marines and get out on a psych(sic) discharge.

Credits
    Savings
    When I was in boot camp, our West Leyden High School back home (I went to East Leyden H.S.) had a shooting 1960. A suspended student was was molesting his former girlfriend in the hallway whom her parents told her to stay away from. My well liked Gym Coach Mr. Bernstein interceded and was shot (survived) but the kid killed his estranged girlfriend. 1960

Sad commentary on the state of our "educational system"!!!!! We can probably thank the aclu for a lot of "what's wrong" in our educational system!!

SEMPER FI,

im a sub. teacher in oklahoma.ive tried for several years to get rid of cell phones,candy machines and the other crap that the kids wear and say.no luck

Credits
    Savings
    I met a younger HS Alumni at the health club who is a shop teacher in a local Jr. HS. A student created a dangerous situation in his class by grassing with another student using a drill press. He told me that he physically put the student into a chair. The next day the mother of that student had him arrested for assault and battery. He flew a desk in the school's basement instead of teaching until the charges were dropped. The student had assaulted his mother and was in jail

Credits
    Savings

Correction above ^

Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    I met a younger HS Alumni at the health club who is a shop teacher in a local Jr. HS. A student created a dangerous situation in his class by (grassing) with another student using a drill press. He told me that he physically put the student into a chair. The next day the mother of that student had him arrested for assault and battery. He flew a desk in the school's basement instead of teaching until the charges were dropped. The student had assaulted his mother and was in jail
    In case you are wondering, ieSpell got away from me (above), should be grabassing

Thread Information