Army? That's Kid Stuff
Create Post

Thumbs up Army? That's Kid Stuff

Army? That's Kid Stuff
    6-year-old and friends ready for the roughest — as Marine recruits

By THOMAS PARDEE
    tpardee@modbee.com

Last Updated: July 11, 2007, 05:50:32 AM PDT

Clockwise: Caleb Valdez, Kyle Nickerson, Daniel Jones, Pfc. Matt Hayworth, Spencer Schroen, Nicholas Williams and Nick Chiang. In camouflage and face paint, the boys test their ability to be Marines.

RIVERBANK — Daniel Jones went to boot camp Tuesday.

He dressed in green camouflage along with his little brother Dylan and six of his friends.

A Marine Corps drill instructor put them through their paces.

But it wasn't Camp Pendleton. It was Jacob Myers Park. Did we forget to say Daniel is 6, Dylan is 4 and the other recruits are in kindergarten?

They spent Tuesday morning getting a taste of what it's like to be a Marine.

Pfc. Matthew Hayworth, 19, was their "drill instructor," showing them how to march, stand in straight lines, and, most importantly, give a hearty USMC battle cry, "Ooh-rah!"

Instead of a battle, the children put their newfound skills to the test by running an impromptu obstacle course on the park's playground.

"They were motivated, and they were loud," Hayworth said. "When I asked them to get to-gether, they gathered around me right away."

Daniel was one of the first to respond to Hayworth's orders. After all, it was his interest in the military that inspired "boot camp day" in the first place.

"I told my mom I wanted to get friends together, so she made some fliers and I took them to school," he said.

Daniel's mom, Wendy, said there was no stopping her son's determination.

"This was Daniel's vision, and here it is," she said.

Wendy Jones called the Marine recruiter's office in Modesto to "add structure to the day, and show them what the Marines really do."

Hayworth said he was excited to get a chance to work with children.

"I miss being a kid," he said. "I came into the office today and they told me I was going to the park. I thought, 'Awesome!' That's what I love to do."

All seven kids listened as Hayworth explained to them the meaning of the Marine emblem (the eagle, globe and anchor), and showed them the significance of teamwork by assigning them a "battle buddy" to help them through the obstacle course.

Wendy Jones said it was obvious her sons were having a blast.

"It will be interesting to see how many of them will join the Marines one day," she said. "I'll bet a lot of them would sign up today if they could."

Bee staff writer Thomas Pardee can be reached at tpardee@modbee.com or 578-2324.

Ellie

OHH-rah

That's what we want!!!

Thread Information