Marines all smiles on welcome home
Sunday, April 22, 2007
By STEVE CAMPBELL
Times Staff Writer steve.campbell@htimes.com

Six deployed in May to Iraq find it's great to be back from 'job well done'

Six Marines returning home from Iraq Saturday were welcomed by an enthusiastic crowd of friends, family and fellow Marines at Huntsville International Airport.

The Marines, members of the Kilo Battery, 2nd Battalion, 14th Marines, deployed in May. Their duties included security for a detention facility in Baghdad.

They were all smiles as they descended the escalator leading to the crowd, the many signs that read "We Love You!" and "Home Sweet Home," and several minutes of hugs and high-fives.

"I'm overwhelmed, overjoyed," said Cpl. Eric Thomas, who helped train Iraqi police as part of his service. "My family's glad to see me, to know that I'm OK.

"It was a job well done. Marines always do a good job."

Lance Cpl. James Roberts spent some of his time patrolling the Syrian border.

"It's so great to be back," Roberts said as friends and Marines clamored around him.

The ceremony was a proud moment for Gary and Kathy Byers, whose son, Sgt. Frank Byers, returned from his second overseas tour.

"We've been missing him for a long time," Gary Byers said, "but we've been proud of him every day he's been over there."

Frank Byers' education at Middle Tennessee State University has been prolonged by his two tours, but his parents said his contribution overseas has been worth the time.

"He's just getting so many life experiences" in serving in the military, Kathy Byers said.

Gary Byers jokingly admitted he also missed having their son help out on their farm in Fayetteville, Tenn.

For Dianne Wittkop, mother of Staff Sgt. Jim Wittkop, seeing her son after nearly a year was a relief.

"I've said many a prayer for God to keep him safe," she said. "I'm glad he's back and safe."

Sgt. Jonathan Ruffin was one of several Marines to greet the six who returned Saturday. A veteran of a seven-month tour in Iraq, he said returning home to enthusiastic friends and family is "the best feeling in the world."

"It's more than your birthday, Christmas and Thanksgiving all wrapped into one," Ruffin said. "It's a great feeling to get off the plane and just get tackled by your family."

Part of the joy in coming home, Ruffin said, is returning to a place "where you don't always have to look over your shoulder."

The terminal cleared quickly after the celebration. A long line of cars slowly filed out. The message on one car window: "Gone to get our soldier."

Three more Marines in the battalion are expected to arrive in Huntsville Thursday.

Ellie