Marine granted immunity in Iraq killings
Create Post
    Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Corps says Marine will testify in the case

LOS ANGELES - The Marines Corps said Tuesday it had dropped all charges against a sergeant in exchange for his testimony against fellow Marines accused of killing 24 civilians in Haditha, the deadliest criminal case to arise from the Iraq war.

Sgt. Sanick P. Dela Cruz had been charged with unpremeditated murder in the death of five Iraq civilians.

Lt. Gen. James Mattis, who announced the deal Tuesday, said the charges against Dela Cruz had been dismissed April 2. Dela Cruz was given immunity in exchange for his testimony, the Marines said.

“Dela Cruz is required to testify,” Marine spokesman Lt. Col. Sean Gibson said.

The Marine squad had suffered a fatality on Nov. 19, 2005, when its convoy was rocked by a roadside bomb blast. In the aftermath of the explosion, the troops are accused of killing 24 Iraqis in Haditha.

Four enlisted Marines were charged with unpremeditated murder, and four officers were charged with failing to adequately report the deaths.

Aside from the murder charge, Dela Cruz faced one charge of making a false official statement with intent to deceive. He faced a possible life sentence, dishonorable discharge, dismissal and forfeiture of pay.

Dela Cruz, 24, is the first Marine to make a deal with the government in the case. His testimony will likely form a vital part of the prosecution’s case.

The Marine Corps announced the charges in December, but there have been no preliminary hearings and no court dates have been finalized. What would have been the first hearing in the case, for another Marine accused of murder, was recently delayed at the government’s request.

© 2007 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed

Talking

Now that his charges have been dismissed and he is required to testify, all he has to say is he has no recolection of the events that they are talking about and if that doesn't work, plead the 5th! HONOR, COURGAGE, AND COMMITMENT!

I don't think it works that way in the Corps or any other military Courts Martial. This guy had to say something they wanted to hear prior to the deal being struck and they're not going to let him off the hook with the old 'no reccollection or 5th Amendment trick.

SF Dave

Red face

But now that the charges have been dismissed, what can they do to him? If he keeps his mouth shut! Do not get me wrong, if these Marines did do something wrong and thats a big IF as I do not have all the info, they should be punished, as we do not just murder people, but this case has already been tried in the media, and the american public is buying it, I was not there at the time and neither was the media, the only ones that know are the Marines that were there! I do not want to make this a poltical case but I am tired of the liberal media condeming everything that are service men and women are doing in iraq and afganistan, i do not even watch the news or read the newspaper anymore, because it is what they want you to read and hear. let are service members do there jobs and leave them alone, they have enough to worry about.

The charges havent been offically dismissed, its provisional based upon his testimony. If he deviates from what he has already promised to testify about, he'll face the full charges...

Quote Originally Posted by ssgtt32
    But now that the charges have been dismissed, what can they do to him? If he keeps his mouth shut! Do not get me wrong, if these Marines did do something wrong and thats a big IF as I do not have all the info, they should be punished, as we do not just murder people, but this case has already been tried in the media, and the american public is buying it, I was not there at the time and neither was the media, the only ones that know are the Marines that were there! I do not want to make this a poltical case but I am tired of the liberal media condeming everything that are service men and women are doing in iraq and afganistan, i do not even watch the news or read the newspaper anymore, because it is what they want you to read and hear. let are service members do there jobs and leave them alone, they have enough to worry about.
    Man you got that right, kinda like the media saying how awesome OBAMA is and how great he is,they summed that all up in the 2 yrs he served in the senate ?? The media is trying to controll the elections... and whats so funny is there are sheep out there who are buying all this crap.

testforecho said what I was going to say re. charges. I agree wholeheartedly re the scumbag media. They are to war what handcuffs are to boxing.

SF Dave

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Dispite the Government trying not to get into another Viet Nam, it's happening, politically! This is a war for the political people. not our troops on the sand! Let them fight and finish the war!

Now that his charges have been dismissed and he is required to testify, all he has to say is he has no recolection of the events that they are talking about and if that doesn't work, plead the 5th! HONOR, COURGAGE, AND COMMITMENT!
    he cant plea the 5th since he has immunity and it will not force him to testify against himself...

On the other hand he can do what our wonderful Presidents do and say one thing, he cant remember nor recall the events that happened to that day as it is not a crime to not remember and you cant be prosecuted..

I'm sure part of the agreement was if he didn't testify, then the deal was null and void!!

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member

The primary media outlet for Sheeple and Brainwashing

Credits
    Savings
    Images

The secular progressive commie liberals direct link to Al Jazeera in America!

Jim

jetdawgg
    Guest Free Member
    With reporters like Christiane Anamanpour and Glenn Beck, I can't consider CNN liberal at all.

If anything, they are just not as extreme as the FOX Noise Channel. Since that is the case I can see how you may view them as 'liberal'. The reality of their content and reporters state otherwise.

Makes me wonder if the Roman Legions, the Vikings, or the Mongol horde of Ghengis Khan ever had to worry about "immunity"???

Are we fighting a war, or playing a silly-a$$ed politically correct "game"? All of our forces should have a blanket immunity to prosecution. Civilians die in wars! Get over it!
    drumcorpssnare

Thread Information