Cotton Club in West Memphis..
Create Post

Cotton Club in West Memphis..

I've noticed a few of you all have spent some time at NAS Memphis,anyone remember a roadhouse/cathouse over in West Memphis called The Cotton Club?Talk about some good times.That was back in 54 or 55.Anyway last year my wife and I were driving to Louisiana and stopped in Memphis for the night and was eating dinner when I started talking to an old fellow that had lived in the area all his life ,I ask him about the Cotton Club and he said it was still there and going strong..Sgt C Ball

The Cotton Club was well known by Marines and sailors in '61 but the USO was the hot spot of the time. Remember the Locker Club where you changed into civies?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Just across the bridge-----Yep there in 1970!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

People search

I am the daughter of a marine who was in service (aviation training) 1962/63 approximately. I am currently awaiting his service records. I am in search of a possible sibling (believed to be a sister) that would've been born most likely in 1963/64. I am in search of a waitress named Mary (I have her first name only) who worked in a diner on the square or 2 streets over (where ever that may be). She had a child about a year after her and my father were together but the identity of the father was not revealed and she wanted to raise the child alone. The child was described as having red curly hair, a character of our family. My father's name is Charles Leroy Baughman with nicknames such as Charlie, Chuck or Sonny. Any information would be greatly appreciated. The Cotton Club was a suggested place to start my search for Mary. Are there any Marine's out there who new of such a waitress named Mary? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks and God Bless!

Last edited by thedrifter; 12-28-08 at 07:25 PM.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Person Search

I came across this site and hope that there may be someone who may be able to help me. My dad was in the Marines and was stationed in Memphis for aviation training 1962-63. I am waiting on his military records. While there he met a waitress name Mary (I have only her first name). There is a possibility that the child she had a year later may have been my father's. She wanted to raise it on her own and did not reveal who the father was. Description of the child does have similarities of our family and I am in search of her. I have been searching for the diners that he frequented and the Cotton Club was one of those. I know that the diner that Mary worked in was "on the square" or two streets over. The child would be approximately 44-45 years old now. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.

Sonnykid, I wish I could help but I was down there way before your dad 1955 ..Dont give up ..Good luck C Ball

Other than that, someone may remember the underground diner, cross the streeet from the city park on the south side ( I think every marine that went to Millington, went there also). Favorite hangout of the Elvis crowd when I was there. Do not remember any Mary, sorry. That was in 61 and 62.

When I was in Millington in '56, the Cotton Club was "Off Limits" for us. I did sneak a peak while I was there, but the SP's were all over the place. Not a good place for a young PFC to be!!

Sorry guys this place is long gone. I enjoyed Millington from late 94 to early 95. During my time the off limits locations were, Beale St., and club 616. Both were the place to go to get into a fight.
    Don't remember an underground diner, but I do remember a diner called the donut shop, use to go there on Sundays and nurse a cup of coffee and a hang over.

Quote Originally Posted by GSEMarine94 View Post
    Sorry guys this place is long gone. I enjoyed Millington from late 94 to early 95. During my time the off limits locations were, Beale St., and club 616. Both were the place to go to get into a fight.
    Don't remember an underground diner, but I do remember a diner called the donut shop, use to go there on Sundays and nurse a cup of coffee and a hang over.

I was there in late 95 to early 96. I remember a country bar that we used to go to but I cannot remember the name. I think it may have been off limits as well. They used to always have bikini contests that always turned out to be nude chick contests. Man them were the days. It seemed like there was a fight there almost every night.

I was stationed in Millington in 1958, Aviation school. We used to go over to the Cotton Club in west Memphis AK on liberty. We had some great times there. I remember it was a BYOB club then. I was 17 year old. It was always wild. I also remember Beale st. in Memphis was off limits to us. We used to go on Vampire liberty, sold blood at the Memphis hospitals. Sgt Cosimo C. Palazzolo

Quote Originally Posted by Sonnyskid View Post
    I came across this site and hope that there may be someone who may be able to help me. My dad was in the Marines and was stationed in Memphis for aviation training 1962-63. I am waiting on his military records. While there he met a waitress name Mary (I have only her first name). There is a possibility that the child she had a year later may have been my father's. She wanted to raise it on her own and did not reveal who the father was. Description of the child does have similarities of our family and I am in search of her. I have been searching for the diners that he frequented and the Cotton Club was one of those. I know that the diner that Mary worked in was "on the square" or two streets over. The child would be approximately 44-45 years old now. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated.
    I became a cop in Memphis in April of 1970, the "square" you are referring to was Overton Square which was a big restaurant and party district. It was on Madison west of Cooper St. Back in the day the women in Memphis were some of the most beautiful women you could ever imagine and they all called me #1.

Also, the park someone mentioned was Overton Park, there were no restaurants or diners across from it which was Poplar Ave. No diners till you got down to Evergreen or went over to Overton Square. There were some great clubs on Madison and Union back then. Memphis did not get liquor by the drink until 1970, it was all byob until then and in many clubs for years after.

I never heard of the Cotton Club in West Memphis as we were pretty busy in Memphis with all the ***** houses, river bars and redneck, country and black bars. Many shootings and bar fights. Ohhhh the memories.

Thread Information