Ike jackets.. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ike jackets..

I never did understand the rationale for eliminating the Battle Jacket. It was much more comfortable that the green blouse and it looked very good. Anyone know why it was done away with?

I had a "horse blanket" although I had to buy mine. They were not issued to reservists in 1978. I wore mine many times until they were phased-out and replaced with that gray "London Fog" overcoat-thing. I'll bet someone in the DoD had stock in London Fog to make this a uniform item. It always looked sloppy to me, and on top of that it was GRAY.

The gray tanker jacket was not anything like the Battle Jacket--it has a zipper front and did not have breast pockets. I despised it almost as much as the London Fog overcoat.

I say, bring back the Horse Blanket, the Battle Jacket, and the Tropicals!

I agree....those uniforms looked better than some of the 'newer' stuff now. My horse blanket still has LCpl chevrons on it, ready to go! LOL

Is this the jacket your talking about?

[IMG]http://marines.*********************/usmc/thumbs/319276.jpg[/IMG]

Can't see the image. It was made of the same Kersey Wool as the blouse, but it had no visible buttons on the breast pockets or on the front of the jacket. The length was to the waist. Here is a link to a Battle Jacket photo:

yours is just like mine . sorry pic wont show up i tried to post it but it has the wrong words to link to this web site with there blocked here

Just a quick note on the Battle Jacket (Ike Jacket). If like me, none of the old uniforms fit there is a good market for them on EBAY. I sold 99% of stuff that has been following me around since 57 (two seabags full and then some). I think most of it went to Germany (you wouldn't believe the postage those folks pay).

Anyway, it's a good way to pick up some mad money.

Semper Fi

Bought an "Eisenhower Jacket" from a Marine returning from Gitmo, at the MCRD Depot back in '64. Wore it until early '66. when an order came down, they were no longer "regulation". Was a sharp looking piece of uniform.

I wish that I knew what happened to my battle jacket, but the only things I have left is a barrack cover and the old nylon raincoat.

Silverdollar if you got kids, start with them.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was recently chatting with the wife of a former Marine, and the topic of the "Ike" jacket came up. She didn't know that a Marine Corps version had once been issued. I dug up a picture of myself in a graduation photo in 1962 wearing my prized battle jacket. I had acquired it from another Marine many years earlier--at El Toro in 1952, I think.

USMC 2571
    Guest Free Member
    You may not get much interaction from an 8 year old thread, but then again, maybe you will. Generally speaking, the folks on old threads are long gone from this site.

Marine Free Member McT ontheRock71's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I inherited a battle jacket from my Uncle, Jim McClaren, back in the early 60's. As a kid, I wore it during the winter months over a hooded sweatshirt. No chevrons, no EGA, just the jacket. It was warm and I looked good in it. Perhaps this was a factor in my choice of services.

Thread Information