MEPs
Create Post
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MEPs

MEPs

I was wondering if any Pool(ee)s that have gone thru MEPs recently could walk me thru the whole process and what exactly you do there? Thanks in advance.

You will stay in a hotel the night before and wake up pretty early 4ish close to 5 eat breakfeast and then get on a bus that takes you to MEPs. You will then file into a line and walk through as they scan you for weapons, metal objects. You will get a sticker that has your name and social and has your branch of service on it. This is where you wait. After putting your stuff into lockers you will go and wait in the medical portion of the building. You will fill out some papers and go over a briefing about not lieing on your evaluations. They will get your paper work together and send you to another section. I reckon it goes weight, eye color, vision test, hearing, blood test, pee test, 1 on 1 with doctor, physical(duck walk, etc.) weight/height. Then after all that you will go to your counselor discuss your mos etc. after that they will wait till several recruits are finished and swear you in. Then you wait some more for your recruiter to come pick you up.

I went to MEPS on 20070330 and Dan got it just right. Be prepared for a long day. I did the ASVAB, physical, and swore in all in the same day. Be patient and kill time by getting to know the guys that are there with you, watch TV, or read a book. Remember that you're representing the Marine Corps while you're up there too so don't fall asleep or act like a fool. Good luck.

Yeah thats pretty much the way it goes. The blood test, hearing, vision test, etc. can pretty much go in any order, and take a long time depending on how busy they are, then you do the 1 on 1 with the doc, and then you gotta wait for 8-10 other guys to do the underwear olympics. The waiting sucks but everybody has to go through it. Talking to other people makes it go quick and if that fails just count the ceiling tiles.

Hey, don't forget that you have to wait, wait, wait, wait and wait some more. It's what you do the most, so be prepare to wait.

along the lines of representing the Marine Corps, the guys I was at MEPs with were a very good representation of the Marine Corps (there were only 9 of us, 6 enlisted and 3 already enlisted and going back in as officers. Out of about 100, the few the proud). Some of the other guys and girls in other branches were acting like thugs and talking back, sleeping, and getting out of line. One guy enlisting in the Army told the liason of the Army that he didn't own him and he would do whatever he wanted. Another girl told the Soldier swearing us in that she didn't want to say the pledge of allegiance, I don't know why but it was in a very disrespectful tone. I was so proud to have U.S. Marine Corps at the top of my sticker.

Ya'll left out the part where they check out your cornhole!!!! haha

Hotel in Montgomery was awesome, and the food there and at MEPS was delicious...
    the wait sucked..

Alright, first off, meps is different for everybody. I was stuck there for 3 days personally. I had some medical issues including shoulder surgery and some mole removal. All I can tell you is to have EVERY PIECE OF DOCUMENTATION REGARDING YOUR MEDICAL HISTORY. If you had a botched circumsion and your plumbing is messed up you need to have documentation. They don't care about what you think, they want to see medical paperwork for everything. Just remember, there job is to disqualify you. So make sure you don't tell them anything you and your recruiter haven't discussed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Bob
    Lol well I had blocked that out of my mind until you just rebrought it up. Ugh..and my Doctor literally looked like a 60 year old Steve Urkel...suspenders and all, so I was trying not to laugh the whole check up. But ya that and the wait was basically all that sucked. Other than that, I'd go to MEPS every week for fun if I could. The hotel really is fun though, I'm shy when I first meet people and the hotel was still crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ol Bob
    I decided to come back from that particular examination to the waiting room walking like a cowboy and woefully grabbing my rear like I'd been violated for a couple laughs in the waiting room. I got them, as well as a stern talking to from a very ethnic civilian nurse who threatened to throw me out of MEPS for my tasteless antics.

Also, some guy there managed to pee on his hand during the urinalysis.

When I was in line to hand over my ****, a guy 2 people in front of me started to have a seizure, knocking the guy who behind him's **** all over him. I ran outta the door and yelled MEDIC!

HAHA when I was in the hotel me and my roommate were chilliing then we it got late so we all went to sleep and I woke up and I was the only one in my room. I was soo scared I missed the bus I nearly S*** myself. I later found out my room mate got scared and left in the middle of the night

I actually had it pretty easy. I stayed overnight at a pretty nice Hilton hotel in Detroit with a 17 year old Air Force recruit (we got along suprisingly as I am 22). Wake up at 4:30 and bus by 5:15 after breakfast. Then we had a hearing, eye, blood, ****, etc. tests that we had to do. Not to mention the "gay olympics" as I call it where you strip down to the boxers (do wear boxers) and do the duckwalk and all that junk. Not that bad though. We only had 8 people at MEPS that were initial medical, I got fast tracked with 3 others so it went real fast...don't expect this though I got lucky on a Wednesday/Thursday. I actually swore in an hour early than I was supposed to. It wasn't that bad and if that is the worst you go through throughout your career you'll be set.

Oh don't get me started lol I was effing scared as hell when I went and for one reason... I could not see!!! My recruiter told me to take out my contacts to 'relax' them for the eye exam and I did so... My recruiter did not come with me. So what happend was I was given a bus ticket and sent to Albany when I arrived I was like this isn't good never been here and I can't see. So There was a taxi service outside so I went for it. I couldn't understand the guy because he had a heavy middle eastern accent. I told him if he could take me to MEPs he said whats that? I said its for people who want to join the Military and thats where they get processed. His reply was " Ok I take you there". He took me all the way to the other side of the city to the RS in Albany there I met the funniest Marines ever they were a bit upset with my recruiter though... they were able to get me just in time for me to take my ASVAB and the guy who drove me there was ****ed off at the taxi driver and jokingly said he was going to find him and get my money back. I will never forget those Marines at the RS Albany. Another cool part was since I had to catch the bus back to Westchester, NY there was no other present Officer there except for the CO of all the Marine Recruiters in NY so I was sworn in by a Marine Officer

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My night at MEPs started out crazy. After working at my job all day I finally get to the hotel at 10 pm and get in a room with some weird kid from kansas who is on his third trip to MEPs. I guess he failed the first time because he said..." so I was smoking some weed, and i thought I had it flushed out of my system, but someone put meth in there so it came in on the test..."
    Whoa....nice story.
    But it gets better.
    I guess his second time he passed the drug test but failed a mental evaluation. So he was on his second time for a mental test.
    aside from being the first one done with my screening I was also waiting on my tattoo waviers so long that I was the last person to get swore in, all by my lonesome.(a good lesson, if you don't have tattoos, just wait.)
    On a funny note. one of the guys taking the **** test tried to put his cup on the ledge at head level spilled it all over the shelf and on himself. The guy who was watching started screaming " Good ****ing going! Get that paper towel in your mouth and..." I think you can fill in the rest

Thread Information