This is the ultimate motivation for poolees: - Page 9
Create Post
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast
    Hey everyone, I have a simple weight loss question.
    I have over 35 Weeks till I ship for MCRD San Diego (20110620) and currently at 72.5" and 216.5 lbs, I have a set goal of 180 before I ship. Is that a reasonable goal or should I shoot for more weight loss? And are Power Bars appropriate snacks at 280 Calories each? I only consume < 1000 Calories a day and have lost several pounds.

Last edited by Aintamarineyet; 08-10-10 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added Date

Quote Originally Posted by Aintamarineyet View Post
    Hey everyone, I have a simple weight loss question.
    I have over 35 Weeks till I ship for MCRD San Diego (20110620) and currently at 72.5" and 216.5 lbs, I have a set goal of 180 before I ship. Is that a reasonable goal or should I shoot for more weight loss? And are Power Bars appropriate snacks at 280 Calories each? I only consume < 1000 Calories a day and have lost several pounds.
    You're crash dieting. Your body will stall on weight loss real soon if you keep eating at such a dramatic deficit. 35 weeks is plenty of time to drop 36 pounds, so bump up your caloric intake to something closer to 1500, AT LEAST. 2 or 3 pounds a week is EXCELLENT progress, you don't need to do more than that, and you've got plenty of time.

Drink water; no sodas, not even diet sodas. If you must, the occasional 8 oz. of pure fruit juice is acceptable - I would recommend grapefruit juice. As far as snacks go? Ditch anything processed, go for fresh fruits and veggies, or if you need more protein in your diet, pop open a tin of tuna, have a hard-boiled egg or invest in some whey protein.

Get into P90X if your PT routine isn't enough for you. You'll be really lean after 12 weeks of P90X if you follow the dietary guide and push play every single day.

One more note; the more active you are, the more often you eat during the day, and the more muscle you build (while cutting fat), the higher your metabolism will be. Keep that in mind. Try taking pictures of yourself, and take your body measurements; it will help you to see how your body composition will change more efficiently than a scale.

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Hands View Post
    You're crash dieting. Your body will stall on weight loss real soon if you keep eating at such a dramatic deficit. 35 weeks is plenty of time to drop 36 pounds, so bump up your caloric intake to something closer to 1500, AT LEAST. 2 or 3 pounds a week is EXCELLENT progress, you don't need to do more than that, and you've got plenty of time.

Drink water; no sodas, not even diet sodas. If you must, the occasional 8 oz. of pure fruit juice is acceptable - I would recommend grapefruit juice. As far as snacks go? Ditch anything processed, go for fresh fruits and veggies, or if you need more protein in your diet, pop open a tin of tuna, have a hard-boiled egg or invest in some whey protein.

Get into P90X if your PT routine isn't enough for you. You'll be really lean after 12 weeks of P90X if you follow the dietary guide and push play every single day.

One more note; the more active you are, the more often you eat during the day, and the more muscle you build (while cutting fat), the higher your metabolism will be. Keep that in mind. Try taking pictures of yourself, and take your body measurements; it will help you to see how your body composition will change more efficiently than a scale.

Thanks! I've been wondering if what I was doing was okay... clearly not sounds like you really know what your talking about... I'ma try to impliment this and see how it goes

Quote Originally Posted by Aintamarineyet View Post
    Thanks! I've been wondering if what I was doing was okay... clearly not sounds like you really know what your talking about... I'ma try to impliment this and see how it goes
    I know what it's like, that's all. I had to drop 60 pounds just to enlist (I'd still like to drop another 10 before I ship in 8 weeks), and I did it over a period of about 9 months or so. I could have done it faster and more efficiently, but I expected way too much of myself in the beginning, and in doing so, "fell off the wagon" frequently when I started out.

If being a Marine matters that much to you, you will do what you need to do to get to where you need to be by the time that you ship to the MCRD. Just always keep your end-goal in mind, don't ever forget it.

Best of luck to you, fellow poolee.

Quote Originally Posted by Rough Hands View Post
    I know what it's like, that's all. I had to drop 60 pounds just to enlist (I'd still like to drop another 10 before I ship in 8 weeks), and I did it over a period of about 9 months or so. I could have done it faster and more efficiently, but I expected way too much of myself in the beginning, and in doing so, "fell off the wagon" frequently when I started out.

If being a Marine matters that much to you, you will do what you need to do to get to where you need to be by the time that you ship to the MCRD. Just always keep your end-goal in mind, don't ever forget it.

Best of luck to you, fellow poolee.
    Thanks! and hey Good luck to you to, in 21 weeks hope to see you on here with a Marine account

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    A little moto on the morning of my ship!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-xiX...e_gdata_player

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by BGregory View Post
    A little moto on the morning of my ship!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-xiX...e_gdata_player
    Good luck out there man.

Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    Outstanding pictures Marine! Tell me Marines, do you feel like a stranger in your own home?
    This is what my dad told me. He said i will get back and everyone will look like lazy slouches.

Hopefully, Boot Camp will make me physically stronger but mostly mentally stronger. Congrats to those who have made it through Boot Camp with weight issues! That's the biggest motivation out there!

Quote Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
    Can some motivated poolee please correct this Johnny-come-lately on what is wrong with the above statement? Thanks, carry on.....
    its not basic, but Recruit Training or Boot Camp

Congrats to that Marines. What does the square medal on his chest stand for? Is something like for scoring expert on the range?

Quote Originally Posted by mbev View Post
    Congrats to that Marines. What does the square medal on his chest stand for? Is something like for scoring expert on the range?

Rifle Qualification
    http://thesupermarine.com/RifleQual.aspx

Thank you Ma'am! I'v seen my friends get Expert so I know it is definitely attainable!

When I started my attempt at becoming a Marine I was 310 pounds. I am now 217 and still losing. To anyone who is browsing these threads and wondering if you can do it? You can, you just need a little motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by nlanza5286 View Post
    When I started my attempt at becoming a Marine I was 310 pounds. I am now 217 and still losing. To anyone who is browsing these threads and wondering if you can do it? You can, you just need a little motivation.
    This is what losing 80 pounds looks like - ALL FAT BODIES COME IN HERE!
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29787

Thread Information