Freedom Hill PX - DaNang - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Hi davblay,
    with all due respect I think you were out of line chewing on juliano like that. I was an ammo tech at ASP-1 in 1966 just a click away from the "New PX", that's what we called it back then, To the best of my recollection there was no beer garden and certainly no bowling alley in 1966. I think that is what Juliano meant. Here is the only picture I have of the "New PX" actually of the east side.

Hey Juliano, Are you the Terrance Juliano I know from Kearny, NJ??

Here is the Pic:

Semper FI!

Mike Dybus

We had a slop shute at the old french compound,da nang.
    It was built like a nam hut.
    Had a s/nco club also,and a O club which was in the same building as the mess hall.
    No they were not new,they were all grass hut type crap,probabley old french buildings.
    We had the barracks,old french,with a dirt floor..
    This was back in ' 65.
    No PX back then,at all.

I remember

I know, I know, I'm not a marine, however, I was assigned to Freedom Hill in 1971 for a couple months, the Army was running the hill at that time and I was assigned to the MP section there, I pulled the 11PM to 7AM shift 6 days a week, first time I had ever carried a 45, and I never had to pre-qualify with it. A thanks go out to all you Leathernecks who made it safer for all of us who followed.

Konrad

You dang right it was a safer place after ole davblay and Ssgt Nelson got all the Momma sans health cards then it was alot safer..

memory loss

Hi everyone,
    I have a few questions that need answers so I can fill in some memory gaps. I was an ammo tech at ASP-1 on 327 a few clicks from the Freedom Hill PX. I arrived at the dump in April 1966. I remember riding shotgun for a week of nights on a deuce and a half transferring stock to the "New PX", that is what we called it. I just can't remember exactly when.
    My questions
    1. Does anyone know when the Freedom hill Px opened?
    2. Where was the "old" PX?
    3. Was it at FLSG-A?
    4. Was it on the China Beach side of the River? I remember when riding shotgun we crossed the old bridge by the ice plant and turned left on the China Beach side and drove for a mile or two and we picked up our load on the left. I remember a giant pile of everything the px had for sale just sitting there with marines , sailors, and airmen picking and choosing. All for free since it was going to be destroyed anyway.
    5. Does anyone have a photo of the ice plant? I remember the sign on the wall said; "Da Nang Ice Plant - The Biggest Morale Booster In Viet Nam"

Thanks in advance for any input

S/F

Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images

!

Sure, I remember Freedom Hill went there once. Stole us a jeep off Hill 37 drove there, pulled some pay, went through the PX where you could buy a refrigerator or a stove lol. It was the only place you got to see everyone in Nam all at once lol

Me and two other guys saw the big guys (Brass) making some movie there, making a bunch of Marines act like they were in a fire fight, poor suckers; doing dirty work for the brass. We Spent a few hours there had to get back to the unit before dark.

DaNang Airbase Iceplant picture

Hey MIke

Hope you still are keeping posted...Just logged o today to site Here is the picture you asked for

Semper Fi to all

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ice Plant Sign.jpg‎
Views:	548
Size:	18.3 KB
ID:	8643  

Sorry if you don't understand my profile. I joined in Dec. 1965 and was relieved of duty in Dec. 1968. I was a Marine and always will be a Marine. That is why I did not put a release date in my profile. I was with WERS-17 and H&MS-17 from Nov. 1966 to Dec. 1967. And there was no boeling alley. Semper Fi brother

Yes I am. Thanks for your comments. Are you living in the Netherlands? Hope you are well. I am retired and living down the shore. Married Terry Watson Ryan. Do you remember her?

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    ....FREEDOM HILL....WHAT'S THAT???....Attachment 8644

Last edited by DocGreek; 05-13-11 at 11:53 AM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    LMFAO-Cowboy, Numba 10thou No can Do, You numba 1 Marine

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    i was at red beach 69,bob hope was there but didn't get to see him, when i recovered from my bo,bo,me and another marine when in the village,got a massage and sht face, afraid of the rubber ball with razor blades stories, stay away from any boom boom.but when sundown came the mp,s were everywhere we got a free ride back to the hospital.wanted to go to freedom px , i got out voted,next day jump on chopper back to quang tri, oct69...................................usmc

My mind is a little foggy about some of the stuff in Nam. This freedom hill your talking about, is that the one with the V-ee cut into the side of it?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    got to hear storys about it...never got to go there....was having to much fun out in the bush

Lester W. Weber

Quote Originally Posted by ROYBOYSR7 View Post
    HEY BROTHER, WAS ALSO HIT 3 TIMES AND LOST A TON OF MEN ON 2/23/69. WE LOST MY CLOSE FRIEND LESTER WEBER, WHO SAVED MY BUTT BUT LOST HIS. HE IS A M.O.H. WINNER. MY( A- GUNNER )GOT THE SILVER STAR AND MYSELF THE BRONZE STAR 'V' THAT WAS THE WORSE FIGHT I WAS EVER IN. WE LOST 10 MEN AND ABOUT 16 WERE WOUNDED, MYSELF INCLUDED. I WAS WITH A COMPANY CALLED MIKE 3/7, CAPT. VAN RIPPERS RAIDERS. ANYWAY THANK YOU ALSO FOR SERVING WITH THE ELITE, THE FEW,THE PROUD,THE MARINES SEMPER FI SGT. R.F. SHERMAN SR.
    JR. VICE-COMMANDANT MCL
    AVENEL DETACHMENT N,J,
    LES DIED ON THE GROUND, AS I TRIED TO DUE SOMETHING TO STOP THE BLEEDING, HAD A NEW CORP. MEN THERE WHO LOST IT. I TOLD HIM GET AWAY FROM ME. HEARD HE CAUGHT IT SOON AFTERWARDS. I'LL STOP THERE. I WAS A CORPORAL AT THE TIME. LES AND I WHERE INSEPERABLE.

Thread Information