Freedom Hill PX - DaNang - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I was at 5th Comm near Mag 16 in 68-69. Anyone there who was there at that time? Semper Fi!!

Hill 10 3/7 1st Mar. Div

HEY BROTHER, WAS ALSO HIT 3 TIMES AND LOST A TON OF MEN ON 2/23/69. WE LOST MY CLOSE FRIEND LESTER WEBER, WHO SAVED MY BUTT BUT LOST HIS. HE IS A M.O.H. WINNER. MY( A- GUNNER )GOT THE SILVER STAR AND MYSELF THE BRONZE STAR 'V' THAT WAS THE WORSE FIGHT I WAS EVER IN. WE LOST 10 MEN AND ABOUT 16 WERE WOUNDED, MYSELF INCLUDED. I WAS WITH A COMPANY CALLED MIKE 3/7, CAPT. VAN RIPPERS RAIDERS. ANYWAY THANK YOU ALSO FOR SERVING WITH THE ELITE, THE FEW,THE PROUD,THE MARINES SEMPER FI SGT. R.F. SHERMAN SR.
    JR. VICE-COMMANDANT MCL
    AVENEL DETACHMENT N,J,

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by davblay View Post
    AHHHH, the BEER GARDEN, the bowling alley, the ----er-----well yeah. hell yeah! MWGS-17 WERS-17 DaNang 1969-1970, 1st MAW! Right on the other side of DOGPATCH! Those were the days!
    WERS=17 Danang 1966-1967 no bowling alley

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    AFTER WE CAME DOWN FROM THE D.M.Z. 3RD. MAR.DIV.WE GOT GEARED UP TOO DO SOME DIRTY WORK FOR THE 1ST.MAR.DIV.WE STAGED AT THE ROCK CRUSHER! FREEDOM HILL WE GOT TOO CHIT,SHOWER,CHAVE,GOT VERY DRUNK.THEN WE WENT TOO QUANG- NAM,"DODGE CITY" 20 NOV.-9DEC.'68 I/3/26 FREEDOM HILL WAS A LUXUARY!!!

Quote Originally Posted by FISTFU68 View Post
    AFTER WE CAME DOWN FROM THE D.M.Z. 3RD. MAR.DIV.WE GOT GEARED UP TOO DO SOME DIRTY WORK FOR THE 1ST.MAR.DIV.WE STAGED AT THE ROCK CRUSHER! FREEDOM HILL WE GOT TOO CHIT,SHOWER,CHAVE,GOT VERY DRUNK.THEN WE WENT TOO QUANG- NAM,"DODGE CITY" 20 NOV.-9DEC.'68 I/3/26 FREEDOM HILL WAS A LUXUARY!!!
    Hey Fistfu68,We could have used one of these in the Leatherneck Square area.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Juliano View Post
    WERS=17 Danang 1966-1967 no bowling alley

With all due respect, I was there in 1969-1970 and the bowling alley was on the Dogpatch side of Freedom Hill!

Oh and just for your information.......from your profile, I can't tell when you were even over there, your rank, or even if you are still in service or not!

Square yourself away before you take POP shots at another Marine!

Dave

bissssst, hey dave ,I think you scared him away.......

Was with Alpha 1/7, stationed on Hill 55. Only made it to Freedom Hill once. Got a good steam bath, hot shower, and lot's of cold beer.

Freedom Hill P.X. - Thanks for this.

Que pasa, Sarge?

I am building a web page addition in the form of an on-line PX, at www.vetspeak.org. I needed a graphic of a PX, and the first thing that came to mind was to Google the Freedom Hill X. This took me straight to your photo and posting. It was also my first visit to the Leatherneck site; I signed up, immediately! Too cool!

The flick was really a flash-back. I was a 1371 Combat Engineer, and I returned to Nam for a second tour with 1/27 from Hawaii, during Tet of '68. On this second tour, I was attached to 5th Shore Party who were headquartered right across the road from FHX. When we were in the rear with the gear (in-country R&R, for us), we could stand at the end of the company street and see the X. It looked like Freedom to me!

Otherwise; we were out at 1/27, up past Marble Mountain...at the corners of the MSR and Tucau (sp?) Rd. The FHX had all the goodies that the unit PX at 1/27 didn't have...including plenty of cartons of Camel shorts, just to help get us through it all...oh, yeah, and of course; round-eye Doughnut Dollies!

Semper Fi!

I had a little fun there: I was sent down from FSB An Hoa to pick up a coupla marines who had been to hospital for some follow-up care (infections in old wounds). It was dead summer, and if any of you people were up in the Arizona during the summer you know what red clay dust does to you (your utilities, your hair, and your body, are all dyed a bright red that will take months to wash out). We picked up these people and the 1/4 ton truck driver says, " why don't we make a pit stop at FREEDOM HILL?"

So away we went. The minute the truck stopped we all ran like banshees out of hell to the cafeteria (or diner, whatever it was called) to see if we could find a damn cheeseburger and a coke. You have to imagine the sight: four marines just in from An Hoa, red as martians, carrying every sort of firearm you could imagine, ready to fight the NVA for a cheeseburger, running around like madmen, screaming like schoolgirls at all the fancy stuff (metal trays, people with spit-shined boots, GIRLS) surrounding us.

In five seconds flat we had attracted about eleven very large MPs, more than a few senior NCOs, and an Lt., all of whom wanted to know who in god's name did we belong to and when was the last time we had heard of the GROOMING STANDARD!!

An angel appeared, in the form of an airwing Major (of all things) in a leather jacket and the best looking mustache I have ever seen. He put them all in their place and we had our cheeseburgers.

Marine air support: you call, and that's all . . .

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Freedom Hill-I Love The 1st.Marine Division

4GOT TOO ADD THIS IN MY 1ST.SEA STORY,BUT YOU JUST DID MARINE.THERE WERE 2THINGS THIS RIFLEMAN DAY DREAMED ABOUT ALOT;NO NOT P***Y!CHEESEBURGERS @ THAT BLACK 1967"427" FUEL INJECTED CORVETTE STINGRAY I WAS GONNA BUY WHEN I GOT BACK 2THA' WORLD.2THIS DAY,THAT CHEESEBURGER WAS AND STILL IS THE BEST CHEESEBURGER I'VE EVER EATIN!!!MATTER OF FACT IT WAS THE ONLY 1,I EVER ATE IN THE 'NAM.I CAN STILL SEE MY BUDDIES FACES WE WERE ALL SMILING.

Made it there twice, Second day in country and the last day in country

Got to go there a couple times in 66-67! I've got C.R.S. so the only thing that stands out in my mind is about 15 minutes of a USO show featuring Hugh O'Brian! We weren't even supposed to be there! We were on an ammo run and cheated

Came through FH for rotation (Jan.1970 and Jan1971) and same-same R&R. Made one cigerrette run when the Platoon was close to the outskirts of Danang. Got drunk in the beer garden and our asses chewed when we linked back up with the platoon. Can't leave them young Devil Dogs alone or they'll **** up every time. Semper Fi.

Was there one time in 1967 with 3/7/India I remember it. Semper Fi.

Thread Information