Genovesi Getting Team's Attention
By ADAM ADKINS The Tampa Tribune
Published: Mar 13, 2007

TAMPA - Brandon Genovesi was nearing the first completed lap of a run with his team during practice Wednesday when everything came to an immediate standstill.

Robinson's first-year baseball coach had abruptly told the Knights to stop yards in front of the home dugout at Lou Garcia Field. Everyone quickly removed their caps and stood in silence, minus the faint sounds of heavy panting from a few players.

For nearly 20 seconds, it seemed many were searching for an all-familiar sound. Moments later, one player chirped, "I don't hear anything anymore."

It then became obvious Genovesi made the Knights stop because he heard the faint sound of the National Anthem coming from nearby MacDill Air Force Base. Maybe a tad excessive to a curious onlooker, but understandable if you know Genovesi's past.

Genovesi spent parts of his summers in 2002 and 2003 training with the U.S. Marines while in Officer Candidate School in the Platoon Leaders Class Junior/Seniors Program. The program is offered to college students with more than one year of college remaining. It doesn't require enlisting, but it does provide extra benefits to those who choose to enlist upon completion of the program. Genovesi was a second-year student at Ashland University in Ohio when he began the program.

Genovesi didn't embark on a life of military service, optioning out of the program after completing 10 of the 12 weeks because his heart and passion were in teaching and coaching. But he took many things away from that time training in Quantico, Va., some of which he has been using during his first head coaching experience.

"What I took away from it was pride, team, discipline, attention to detail and leadership. There's just so much I took away from it," said Genovesi, currently a physical education teacher at Tampa Bay Elementary. "The understanding that when you're out there, you're out there for the person next to you, and I think that's one thing that they taught [and one thing] I'm trying to teach my guys.

"I have nine sophomores and two freshmen, so I'm trying to use that, have them understand that they're a team and they're out here for everybody. And it's going. It's a little inconsistent, but it's going."

If there's one thing the Knights probably wished Genovesi, the county's youngest head baseball coach who celebrated his 25th birthday Wednesday, wasn't as consistent in, it's the extensive exercise regiment they're forced to deal with, especially at the beginning of the season. In fact, when practice was first permitted by the state, the Knights were told not to bring their equipment.

"He told us, 'Don't even bring a bat or ball or glove to practice the first two days,'" sophomore Jimmy Pitisci said.

That's because the first two days would be spent running, stretching and lifting only, something for which Robinson's players weren't prepared.

"I was thinking, 'I wasn't expecting it to be like this.' I, and everyone, thought it would be a little more relaxed because he was younger, a little more fun," junior Spencer Montague said. "[After the first two days] I was wondering if we were ever going to pick up a bat."

Added senior Oliver Killoren: "[We were running sprints] eight or nine times to the point to where it's like people are getting mad at each other. It was definitely a lot more intense than what we thought."

Then again, Genovesi, the son of an ex-Marine and the grandson of an 18-year Army veteran, says what he put his team through is nothing compared with how he spent his time at Quantico.

Going many days off just three hours sleep - even less if he was fortunate enough to draw fire watch for the night - Genovesi underwent a grueling schedule that included hours of physical training, marching and classroom work. Some of the exercises were unforgettable, such as the Quigley, a station on the obstacle course simulating the ability to sneak up on the enemy.

Dressed in full gear, Genovesi was required to crawl through about a foot of water under a series of wooden poles. The mud left a lasting effect.

"You were cleaning out this stuff in your ears for like six months later," said Genovesi, though adding he valued the experience.

After a few weeks of the conditioning regimen, some of Robinson's players said they began to understand the positive impact it could have. And, after watching Genovesi partake in many of the exercises along with them, they began to be more acceptant of it.

"I think it's awesome that he runs with us. When a coach doesn't run with you, it makes it feel likes it's punishment. When the coach works with you, you realize that it's for something good," Killoren said.

Added Pitisci: "We first thought, 'Wow, this is what we're going to be in for the season.' But it's really paid off; it's really starting to pay off."

Heading into tonight's home game against Chamberlain, the Knights are 3-6 and riding a three-game losing skid. There has been some dissension in the team, Genovesi said, but nothing that can't be worked out - maybe even with a little running.

Besides, Genovesi still feels he made the right choice when he walked away from a potential life in the military to go "where [his] passion was." It's memories such as the one the last time his team faced Chamberlain, when he and the Knights celebrated his first career victory, that fuel that fire.

And he doesn't prefer to look at it any other way.

"No, no regret at all," Genovesi said of not completing OCS training and going into the military. "Look where I'm at here.

"I love seeing the kids be successful. There [is] no greater feeling than that to me. Knowing that you're leading them out there … they're the reason why you won, but you're kind of like the backburner, the guy bringing them together. It's the best feeling in the world, and I wouldn't trade it for anything."

Reporter Adam Adkins can be reached at (813) 657-4533 or aadkins@tampatrib.com.

Ellie