Overtime Pay For Combat Duty
Create Post

Exclamation Overtime Pay For Combat Duty

Overtime Pay For Combat Duty
    Strategy page

March 10, 2007: The U.S. Department of Defense is now paying troops an extra thousand dollars a month for every month, over a year, that they are in a combat zone. This has made a lot of U.S. Army personnel happy, or at least less unhappy, when their tours in Iraq or Afghanistan get extended beyond a year. But the U.S. Marine Corps has a problem because its normal tours are seven months long, and sometimes marines get held over for several months beyond that. The marines are trying to scrape up the money to pay their troops an extra $250 a month for each month over seven, that they serve in a combat zone.

These additional payments for troops in a combat zone are also a way to reduce the envy the troops have for former soldiers who are making big bucks as civilians security contractors in Iraq. As a practical matter, most troops know they could not get one of these jobs, since the contractors seek out those with more time in uniform, and especially elite types (Special Forces and SEALs). But the envy is still there, and the extra money makes a difference.

Ellie

I don't think this is right I don't think incentive should be money I spent 22 years as a 03 (Infantry) for the pleasure of serving in the best service in the best country in the world.

I would rather have 2 extra days of libo per month than the $. You didn't join up for the money but for the pride!

You mean to tell us that if you shiped-over you would not take the bonis money, You would not take combat pay? These guys are fighting with death every day. There is no way in hell that they get payed enough money.

i agree with ggyoung. we life in a different world now and money is the motivation for people to do their jobs.

Credits
    Savings
    I'm not against the money... I mean when was the last time anyone ever complained that an enlisted man got paid to much.....

But if a couple bucks a month is considered a good reason to get shot at...

The Army probably thinks they can fix moral problems with cash... YEAH that seems like a good idea...

Give em the cash I say.... They earned it... Just don't expect it to fix anything

In 65 We Got 60 Bucks A Month Combat Pay And That Was About Half Of Our Base Pay. No Body Complained About That.it Was Good Money Back Then Mike

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool Show Me The $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

NO $$$$$,DOES NOT FEED THE BULLDOG;BUT SENDING IT HOME.TO PUT MORE FOOD IN THE FRIDGE,FOR THE FAMILY;AND SOME NEW SHOE'S FOR THE KID'S!!!I THINK "MARINE'S "ARE VERY UNDERPAID!FOR THE MOST DANGERIOUS JOB ON EARTH!!!

Quote Originally Posted by usmcmule
    I don't think this is right I don't think incentive should be money I spent 22 years as a 03 (Infantry) for the pleasure of serving in the best service in the best country in the world.
    Alot of these Marines (Including myself) are going on a third Pump, so calling them out for not serving for "Love of Corps" isnt right. That being said I think the Money thing is only part of the soultuion. The Higher COC needs to stop sweating the small stuff and think more about Mission Acomplishment.

Nowdays Marines are litterally walking right up to IEDs and dying to set up Danger stay back signs that are there only to cover the carreer of higher ups.

All the Marines want is to be able to BE Marines. Not the Peace Corps. NOT UN peacekeepers. We cant do that, so we dont want to extend.

Quite simply, I think it's right to pay the extra money. It's not about love of country, Corps, or anything else, it's about being compensated fairly for doing multiple tours. Yeah, it wasn't done in the 'old days', but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done now.

I'm all for it.

Thread Information