‘A casualty of war’

By Undersheriff Mike Murphy
Veterans Column

Jonathan was a United States Marine and epitomized what the Marine Corps stands for. He was a tough kid who grew up in Minnesota and joined the marines out of high school.

He served honorably and was recently discharged after serving a tour in Iraq in 2004, where Jonathon served as a machine gunner and saw heavy combat near Ramadi, Iraq.

Jonathan was wounded twice during his tour. Sixteen of his brother marines were killed during his tour.

Like many young men and women who go off to war, Jonathon had some difficulties in dealing with what he had been asked to do. He had dreams in which he vividly relived his combat experience. He had trouble eating, experienced flashbacks, felt paranoia and had difficulties with relationships.

He also began drinking to excess.

On January 11, 2007 Jonathan went to the VA Hospital in St. Cloud, Minnesota for help, accompanied by his father and step mother. He was told that he could not be admitted that day, and was sent home.

The next day he called a counselor from home and spoke with him about being admitted for treatment. The counselor told Jonathan that he was number 26 in line to be admitted.

Four days later Jonathan killed himself.

Now there are investigations taking place and I’m sure someone’s head is going to roll. There are accusations and defense strategies galore.

I suppose my question is why did it have to come to this? Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) isn’t anything new – especially to the VA. We’ve had it with us since war was invented.

Shell shock, combat fatigue, chronic depression based on combat, PTSD… Who cares what they call it? It’s the same thing. And it is caused by a young person being exposed to combat.

Audie Murphy, one of the most decorated soldiers ever, suffered from PTSD. He was the first Congressional Medal of Honor recipient to openly talk about his problems with combat. Before his death he defended the Vietnam Veterans when they had the unmitigated gall to ask for help with their PTSD.

I guess I am disgusted, angry and sad all at the same time. As sad as this scenario is, what is even sadder is that our country still has not learned that they need to provide for these young men and women when they return from war.

The Veterans Administration has been reduced to a political football which is merely used to jockey for position during elections. Whom do we blame – the VA? the democrats? the republicans? ourselves?

There are more Jonathans out there. When are we as a society going to do the right thing? How many more are we going to lose?

Ellie