Skiing gives wounded vets needed respite from hospital
Wounded Warrior Project hosts families at Ski Liberty
Originally published March 04, 2007

By No writer

FAIRFIELD, Pa. -- Patients at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington took a much-needed break from their recovery by hitting the slopes Saturday at Ski Liberty in Pennsylvania.

The event was hosted by Blue Ridge Adaptive Snow Sports, a nonprofit organization dedicated to enhancing the lives of people with disabilities. BRASS, established 10 years ago, is Ski Liberty's chapter of Disabled Sports USA, which also provides opportunities for disabled people to gain confidence through sports and recreation.

BRASS raised more than $25,000 for the event, said Leslie White, president.

"Anybody with a disability can ski or snowboard," White said.

They worked to bring the service members, nine altogether, and their families to Ski Liberty as part of the Wounded Warrior Project, a nonprofit organization assisting men and women who have been severely injured while serving their country.

The service members and their families met in a small, warm room for instructions before strapping on their equipment and pairing up with snow buddies -- ski and snowboard instructors -- who offered lessons if needed.

With help from volunteers, including six Marines from Camp David and students from Gettysburg, Pa., the service members could make it to the top of the hill and experience the thrill however they desired -- on a snowtube, snowboard or mono-ski with outriggers for guidance.

Army National Guardsman Reddi Parker, of Jonesboro, Ark., was wounded in Baghdad, Iraq, in September. He was patrolling the streets when a few teenagers threw a grenade in his direction.

"I lost half of my foot," Parker said Saturday. "It could've been worse."

He has several more months to recover at Walter Reed, including five or six days of 90-minute therapy sessions every week.

Parker tried bartering with Iraqis on several occasions while he was in Baghdad. He offered $40 for an Iraqi flag, but they wouldn't take it, he said. He would go back if he had the chance.

Parker has skied before, but this was his first time on a mono-ski, similar to a seat attached to a ski, with the support of outriggers, which are much like ski poles. He said he was ready to take a couple of hits going down the slope.

He only fell once on his first try. After a second run, Parker said he wanted to take a snow tubing adventure.

"It was nice," Parker said.

Janet Hall, a coordinator for BRASS, gave instructions to the service members and their families.

"We help people who need help," she said. "They're here to have fun. It's about good times."

Army National Guardsman Sam Floberg, of Fargo, N.D., said he was ready to tackle the mountain. He practiced at a similar event at the Wintergreen ski resort in Virginia a few months ago.

"I'm going to take a lesson just to freshen up," he said. "I enjoy skiing."

Floberg lost his leg above the right knee, the result of a rocket-propelled grenade that hit the vehicle he was traveling in shortly after dusk on Thanksgiving Day 2006.

Floberg said being in Iraq was an experience unlike any other -- like being 200 years behind the rest of the world.

Now at Walter Reed, Floberg said is doing two hours of physical therapy every day. He hopes to return to active duty after he leaves the hospital in a few months.

"It's not really a disability," he said. "I wouldn't say it's difficult, just different."

Floberg doesn't let his injury get him down. He sped off down the slope after getting off the ski lift, falling only twice.

"I handled it pretty well," he said. "It is what you put into it."

Army Sgt. Steven Curry was wounded in Kirkuk, Iraq, in November 2006. His left leg, amputated below the knee, did not deter him from snowboarding Saturday. He will probably be at Walter Reed for another six months, but he's making the most of it.

"It's kind of intense," Curry said.

Kyleen Davis, program services assistant for Disabled Sports, said many people with disabilities can successfully learn a new sport -- almost any -- within one day.

"It's a lifestyle change," Davis said.

Army Sgt. John Keith was wounded in southern Baghdad in November 2004 while on patrol. He remembers sensing danger just before the rocket propelled grenade exploded.

"I moved, but my legs didn't," Keith said.

He said he has been taken care of at Walter Reed and is looking forward to remaining in active duty upon his release.

"I had great therapy," he said. "They took care of me and my family."

His wife, Pam Keith, and their two kids, ages 4 and 6, live at Fort Belvoir, Va. Their kids skied in a designated area for children while Pam and John went down the beginner's slope.

Despite John needing the help of the ski patrol getting down the slope, they still had a good time.

"I was exhausted," he said.

Ellie