Published: Friday, March 2, 2007

OOH-RAH! Tips go to boot camp
Twice this season Silvertips coaches brought in retired Marine 'Major' Dave Andersen to teach the team what it means to be a real leader.

By Nick Patterson
Herald Writer

EVERETT - It's difficult to notice.

After all, the Everett Events Center erupts more emphatically than Mount St. Helens after the home team scores a goal.

But every time the Everett Silvertips score, the team gathers near the bench and in unison chants what's become its rallying cry: One, two, three, OOH-RAH!

That's just the most visible effect boot camp has had on the Tips.

Everett's coaching staff decided this season to expose their players to the military take on leadership, bringing in former US Marine David C. Andersen - better known as Major Dave - to address and work with the team.

And the players have taken Major Dave's lessons to heart, to the point where they've made the Marine Corp's cry their own.

"That gives me goosebumps," Andersen, who was in town last weekend for a follow-up session with the team, said about hearing the OOH-RAH after goals.

"I think it brought our team together big time," Everett captain Jason Fransoo said about Andersen's program. "Leadership-wise, it taught us a lot of good skills, even for guys who aren't leaders."

Andersen is a 21-year veteran who served two tours of duty in Iraq. Recently retired, he now runs Boot Camp Hockey, a hockey leadership camp in Syracuse, N.Y.

Everett's coaches encountered Andersen at a USA Hockey seminar during the summer. Upon hearing Andersen's speech, the coaches decided his message would be valuable for the Tips.

"He had a great message," said Tips assistant coach Jay Varady, who arranged Andersen's trip to Everett. "He'd been to Iraq and been to the front line and knew what it took to be successful. We thought that would be a good impact on our players."

Andersen came to Everett for a week in September and ran the Tips through his program, which includes motivational speeches and exercises designed to build leadership and teamwork.

"I try to take military anecdotes and turn them into hockey," Andersen explained. "I have stories of when I was in combat, and I have stories of when I was working in the office. But it all relates back to leadership and a lot of it relates back to their actions on the ice. Don't leave your friend behind, support your buddy."

Andersen's strong presence and charisma immediately captured the Tips' attention, and subsequently inspired Everett's new goal-scoring celebration, which has been a staple throughout the season.

"It was great," Everett defenseman Jonathan Harty said about the program. "I think the team realized that what we have to do and what he had to do in war are similar. But for us it's not life or death, it's so much easier. We just have to go out and work 60 minutes a night, and that's not much compared to what he had to do."

Andersen was invited back again last week for a second session with the team. He liked what he saw from the Tips the second time around.

"They are such high-caliber individuals that there wasn't a night-and-day difference," Andersen said. "A lot of these kids could be Marines, and the coaching staff all could be Marine leaders. But what I did see that I liked were a lot of examples of their leadership, both on and off the ice."

To which there could only be one response:

OOH-RAH!

Slap shots: The Tips will once again be short-handed this weekend because of injuries. Left wings Ondrej Fiala (knee) and Brennan Sonne (spleen), right wing Moises Gutierrez (head) and defenseman Taylor Ellington (neck) are out. Right wing Jesse Burt (groin) is questionable. However, center Peter Mueller should be back after sitting out Wednesday's 4-1 victory at Kamloops with muscle spasms. ... Forward Kellan Tochkin and defenseman Jeff Regier, who were last-minute call-ups for Wednesday's game, returned to Everett with the team and are available for tonight's home game against Portland. If Regier plays, he will have reached his limit of five games for a 1991-born player. ... All three of Everett's players at the Canada Winter Games will be playing for a medal tonight. Forward prospect Jordan Mistelbacher (two goals, two assists in four games) and Team Manitoba take on Team Ontario for the gold medal. Left wing Kyle Beach (four goals, three assists) and Team British Columbia face defensman prospect Matt Strong (one assist) and Team Alberta for the bronze. Beach could be back for Everett's home game Saturday against Spokane. ... The one-millionth fan in franchise history is scheduled through the turnstiles this weekend. Said fan will receive a prize package and drop the ceremonial first puck.

Ellie