Tokyo
Create Post

Thread: Tokyo

Tokyo

My wife bought us tickets to Japan for my birthday.
    I'm going to take her to some of the places I went to in 1963 when I was stationed at Atsugi.
    Where else besides Hakone & Kamakura should I take her?

Rhys

rrtalbot+++++++++Do not taker her to any of your skivve houses.

Quote Originally Posted by ggyoung
    rrtalbot+++++++++Do not taker her to any of your skivve houses.
    Funny you should say that, we had a bar we all hung out at (The Rendezvous) and I was thinking about seeing if it still was there.

Rhys

i used to go to the Rendezvous on okie if your anywhere near hiroshima go there Semper fi

Credits
    Savings

Thumbs up

We just spent a month in Japan last April after four days in Beijing PRC.

First thing, if you are flying into Tokyo International Narita and if you are going to make a domestic Japanese flight connection from there you will have to get over to
    Haneda Airport to do so. A cab will run between $250 to $300 American. I suggest taking the bus about $37-$39 each. It is about a 90-minute drive. You can have your luggage shipped by 'Black Cat' (UPS) anywhere in Japan at the airport, and it will be there before you.

Exchange rates are good all over
    Japan, banks and airport. I recommend the bank exchanges in the airports and city (same) but there are different banks, so see who gives the best deal ! The Post Office and Hotels are not a good place to exchange money. The Banks do not open until 10:00 AM and I think they close early too. You will loose money using traveler’s checks on exchange rates. American money is not readily accepted in Japan.

Forget about using Credit Cards, very few places accept them, even MacDonald's. Chase Citi MC is the best card for acceptance in
    Japan.

To find the best places to visit go to Yahoo! Answers and use their search answers or ask specific questions for their members. It is outstanding what they say to do, and how to do it in
    Japan, it is better than what I could ever come up with to tell you

Dominoes X-large pizza in
    Tokyo is $30. I suggest going to the big and little grocery stores for bento's (pre-packaged meals) and beverages, easy on the wallet.

I see that we are about the same age and I found that the Japanese hotel beds and pillows are very hard, like sleeping on sandbags sometimes. Try if you can to stay at western hotels. I got a real good deal at Holiday Inn, Narita with an early on-line booking special that included a buffet breakfast that will save you about $25 apiece. Hotel prices are quoted mostly for one person not two, so be careful !

Sightseeing travel in
    Japan and cities you will probably need either a tour bus Hato Bus Tour Info or on your own, but cabs are expensive. There is the bus or rail system.

Between major cities, there are the bullet trains, just like being on a jet, except on the ground. There are reserved seating and general seating on the bullet train, not allot of difference, except price and crowding. The seats are super-spacious in reserved, I do not no about general, although allot of foreigners from
    Europe used general seating.

Everyone is super polite in
    Japan and will go out their way to help you.

Feel free to contact me for any other questions you may have.

REMEMBER,
    NO TIPPING IN JAPAN !

Bonsai [good luck] !

P.S. Most hostess Bars are Japanese only, unless you are outside a US base. Too expensive anyways, unless you have deep pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    We just spent a month in Japan last April after four days in Beijing PRC.

First thing, if you are flying into Tokyo International Narita and if you are going to make a domestic Japanese flight connection from there you will have to get over to
    Haneda Airport to do so. A cab will run between $250 to $300 American. I suggest taking the bus about $37-$39 each. It is about a 90-minute drive. You can have your luggage shipped by 'Black Cat' (UPS) anywhere in Japan at the airport, and it will be there before you.

Exchange rates are good all over
    Japan, banks and airport. I recommend the bank exchanges in the airports and city (same) but there are different banks, so see who gives the best deal ! The Post Office and Hotels are not a good place to exchange money. The Banks do not open until 10:00 AM and I think they close early too. You will loose money using travelerís checks on exchange rates. American money is not readily accepted in Japan.

Forget about using Credit Cards, very few places accept them, even MacDonald's. Chase Citi MC is the best card for acceptance in
    Japan.

To find the best places to visit go to Yahoo! Answers and use their search answers or ask specific questions for their members. It is outstanding what they say to do, and how to do it in
    Japan, it is better than what I could ever come up with to tell you

Dominoes X-large pizza in
    Tokyo is $30. I suggest going to the big and little grocery stores for bento's (pre-packaged meals) and beverages, easy on the wallet.

I see that we are about the same age and I found that the Japanese hotel beds and pillows are very hard, like sleeping on sandbags sometimes. Try if you can to stay at western hotels. I got a real good deal at Holiday Inn, Narita with an early on-line booking special that included a buffet breakfast that will save you about $25 apiece. Hotel prices are quoted mostly for one person not two, so be careful !

Sightseeing travel in
    Japan and cities you will probably need either a tour bus Hato Bus Tour Info or on your own, but cabs are expensive. There is the bus or rail system.

Between major cities, there are the bullet trains, just like being on a jet, except on the ground. There are reserved seating and general seating on the bullet train, not allot of difference, except price and crowding. The seats are super-spacious in reserved, I do not no about general, although allot of foreigners from
    Europe used general seating.

Everyone is super polite in
    Japan and will go out their way to help you.

Feel free to contact me for any other questions you may have.

REMEMBER,
    NO TIPPING IN JAPAN !

Bonsai [good luck] !

P.S. Most hostess Bars are Japanese only, unless you are outside a US base. Too expensive anyways, unless you have deep pockets.
    Richard,

Thanks for all the info.
    My wife works for a large travel agency in the acounting dept.,and she got an incredible deal on an agent's rate offered by Singapore Air.
    One of the agents goes over every year, so we have been working with him on a lot of the details.
    He set us up with a hotel in Tokyo for $65.00 a day and is getting us rail passes for the week.
    We are going to take a lot of pictures so I'll share them when we return and I'll let you know how it went.
    I'm very curious to see how things have changed in th 40+ years since I've been there.

Thanks again for your help,
    Rhys

P.S. I grew up in Glendale,Ca

Careful 10Z, you're going to ruin your reputation as a cantankerous old bastid!

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by D W George
    Careful 10Z, you're going to ruin your reputation as a cantankerous old bastid!
    Never had shankroids and I'm not going to get them again, why don't you learn how to spell or at least use spell check ? Where's my med's, this thing is starting to hurt again...

Angry

[quote=10thzodiac]Never had shankroids and I'm not going to get them again, why don't you learn how to spell or at least use spell check ? Where's my med's, this thing is starting to hurt again...

My,my,my, ain't we in a pi$$y mood. I think someone needs a nap!

Grab those meds old timer, and when you get a chance you can look up the spelling for cranky old fart!

CANTANKEROUS (FROM THE DICTIONARY)???

Credits
    Savings
    Don't laugh at old farts, ever hear of the Old Fart that made "The Big Bang" ?

Thread Information