Ethical question NOT related to the Marine Corps
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

So here is another one from me.

I was at a party this weekend, hosted by and at the house of a memeber of the faculty here at my university. (UMKC)

ANYHOW, at this party, the faculty member (a professor) was handing oout shots of booze to under age kids, and handing out hollowed out apples full of pot to smoke.

Now, this is a fairly decent teacher, and turning him ini for these things would likley not result in much, as I am sure almost no one would back me up.

bust shouldn't I turn him in for it anyway? I mean, the man is a tenured professor, and as such, i believe it is wrong of him on SOOO many levels that have nothing to do with legality to be passing around booze and drugs.

so, turn him in, despite what it MAY do to his life, career, ect, or drop it, cause no ne will back me up so it will not likley result in anything?

( also, everyone will KNOW:, no matter what, that it was me who turned him in, and this could affect my girlfriend, who is in this professors program at the university)

what to do what to do!?!?!?!?!

Credits
    Savings
    S-hit the FBI has arrested cops in my town selling heroin out of their squad car and my old neighbor across the street (Iraqi 1st generation) claims at a party the same police department cops were shooting heroin in uniform.

I know one of the cops and he told me the Mayor wanted dirt on the his mayoral opponent's boy. My friend was on loan to to DEA at the time and was successful in busting his son. Then my friend totaled his undercover car and was in a comma and the department tried to say he wasn't on duty when he totaled it, he was not in the good-Ole-boy clique.

I know, if I ever caught someone giving my children or grandchildren dope, they won't even know what hit'em.

Your intelligent, figure a way to rat on him without implicating it was you. Gossip works wonders, especially if it is provable. Try anonymous fliers mysteriously placed all over campus

Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaffer
    This is probably more common than you think. I have attended 2 colleges where professors partied with the students, drank and toked up with them. I do not believe this to be good, however it is common.

If he is tenured, anything you say probably won't cause him to be held accountable.

However, what I would do if I were you is go to see the dean or assistant dean of your department. Tell them what you saw, but leave the professors name out of it. Ask them what they think you should do. They understand how that systems works and will be able to let you know what the risk vs. reward is. They may actually take up your case for you if they are that appalled by it.

Good luck!

Semper Fi,
    Jerry
    That's all well and good, if they [superiors] all don't use the same dope dealer or they might be his/her source or visa-versa !

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Dang, of course its Corps related. My first instinct would be to bust him twice in the chops and yell "WTF do you think your doing". Surely that crossed your mind too.

Credits
    Savings
    Damn institutions of higher learning are more and more and more becoming real wastelands for hippies and commie pinko fags.. aren't they???

I would find some way to nail the SOB's ass to the wall... The KC "red" Star probably wouldn't help you... but Get pictures if and when you can.. I am sure there will be a next time.. Then look me up and I'll help you out.. I live just north of the Kansas speedway and would love to help out a piece of trash like this for the scum that he is...

Forget about his life, his career, those are his problems and he should have thought about them a little deeper before he made his own F-ing decision to be a worthless piece of trash...

The bigger the story the less effect they will be able to have on your GF.. besides that.. WHO really needs those kinds of friends any F-ing way...

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    What to do, what to do!?!?!?!?!
    I would imagine that anything you bring up now, HardJedi, without visual proof, would probably just be considered hearsay. It would seem that any discussions about this matter might have to be approached on a hypothetical, what if, manner.
    Good luck on this one. The Professor was doing something that that there are laws against doing...especially involving minors. That, more than anything, would bust his chops if his house was (what's a good word) raided. What if you were in the house the same time it was raided being an adult and all?
    What consenting adults chose to mutually share and partake of amongst themselves is one thing. What adults chose to share with mutually consenting minors, especially of a "contraband" nature, is a whole different ball of wax.
    Let the good professor know how you feel and what you saw and how it made you feel and see where it takes you. Good luck.
    Gary

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I sent HardJedi some suggestions via PM. They may not work, or he may not be able to gain the right info ahead of time, but if the pieces come together, the prof could be in an uncomfortable position for a little while at least. Perhaps not prosecuted, but he'll feel persecuted.

Well you are in a posion that is if you don't turn him in then you are no better than him. So that is your call. But you can contact the police and news media and tip them off to the next little party that is coming up.

Or just stand up and say hey you dummy do this again and I will bust your head wide open.

Carry On

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    It is Corps related because we really do hold ourselves to a higher standard to the general public. Every Marine Veteran makes his local community a better place to live.

problem

Not that I know of did anything or law. practice, or just name the subject ever get changed by being a follower. Go with your gut instinct on your decision's on any subject, ninety-nine percent of the time you'll be the leader, for all of us have had to make decision's of this magnitude. I have a grandaughter in college and wouldn't have to ask what I would do if I caught the dealer. Would be the same for anyone doing a low level act like this in my book, bush hog em, let the pieces fall as they may, girl friend or no friends at all.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Would the above responses be the same if it happened to be a Gunny providing the beer to the class from radio school that had just graduated. All of the students/Marines being minors?

Ethical question NOT related to the marine corps.

back to the subject

(drugs) illegal without prescription.
    (alcohol) not illegal and I alway's figured if someone is old enough to die for their country, should be able to drink!! Again, gut feeling, do the crime-do the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ivalis
    Would the above responses be the same if it happened to be a Gunny providing the beer to the class from radio school that had just graduated. All of the students/Marines being minors?

Good point. However the difference would be that the Gunny was also in a position to manage the effects and in a position to control the behavior - also, all the Gunny's that I knew were cheap bastards so there only would have been enough beer for 2 each - and I don't know any Marines, underage or not, that would be greatly effected by 2 beers!

Seriously, though I like the idea of a tip to the media about the next party.

M/Sgt, isn't it true that if you have a military ID you can drink at age 18? I may be wrong but I just heard that around but never really bothered to look into it much as I will turn 21 while I am at Parris Island this upcoming summer (shipping 14 May, graduating 10 August, 1st Plt Bravo Co, can't wait- oohrah!).

Thread Information