Marines in Nam - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Marines in Nam

Hq Battery 1/11 Hill 55 1969-1970

I/3/26 10/67 - 11/68

my dad was in the 1stdiv in 69 i think. he was a radio op

QRK, what is the readability of my signals?

QRK, came the call over the radio, what is the readability of my signals?

Reply:
    Cherry dumplings apple pie
    I hear your station 5 x 5
    Eene meenee minee mo
    How do you hear my radio?
    Over.

Author and composer - unknown
    1964, USMC, 2nd LAAM bn, B Btry.

I would like to endorse that statement that bigdog had forhisquote truer words were never spoken.

My Story
    Plt 1207 MCRD San Diego Nov 69 Jan 70
    Q Co., 2nd ITR, Camp Horno, MCB Camp Pendleton Jan 70 Mar 70
    Staging Btn, MCB Camp Pendleton Mar 70 Nov 70
    HQ Co., 1st Battallion 5th Marines, S2 Scout Nov 70 Dec 70
    2nd Plt, Charlie Co., 1/5 Dec 70 Jan 71

TAD, 2111 School, Okinawa Mar 71
    HQ Co., S-1, 1st Marine Regiment Camp Perdue RVN

1968-1969 Red Beach aka Rocket Alley

Squad Leader Platinum Member Zulu 36's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote: "Eene meenee minee mo
    How do you hear my radio?
    Over."

Loud and clear,
    With a little hum.

Or:

"Radio check. How do you hear my radio" (Nervous 2d Lt constantly calling in radio checks).

"I hear you two-by-two. Too often and too loud. Out." (Reply from company commander).

nam

11th Marines hill 55

Jan 70 to march 70 with Lima 3/26-FNG got to carry the radio-
    March 70 to Jan 71 with Hotel 2/1 -lotsa walking in Indian Country

Pass this along. I have a serious bad spin and I know many of ground ponders also suffer from spinal problems. At the VA centers the doctors give us laxatives and oil tablets for our common symptoms of: cannot take a crap but ounce ever few days, perhaps five days or so, what is wrong, and the doctor will say, it is your diet. Think again, and try this, buy a ¾ inch ply sheet, place a folded towel for a pillow at one end, lay down and bend your legs so your hips flatten your spinal column flat, and then straighten your legs, now relax and go to sleep for about one half hour. I now it feels hard but when you wake up your spin will be in its natural shape. Now do some simple stretch exercises, and over the couple of days I think your regulatory system will return to normal. Try to exercise back into shape so the muscles return and hold the spinal column together. Remember that back pack we carried up and down those hills, will it was OK then, but now it has caused us some problems, or so I suspect and the doctors do not want to inform us of this problem.

1st ANGLICO Sub Unit One

04OCT67 - 24OCT68
    We had two-man teams of radio operators attached to each 2nd ROK Marine Brigade operating unit.
    1. Recon platoon near (not the one near DaNang) An Hoa
    2. 11th Co. 3rd Btn. at Binh Son / Tra Binh Dong
    3. 10th Co. 3rd Btn. covering the region east of Hoi An
    4. several weeks at 3rd Btn. CP in-between assignments
    For the thread's originator: A USMC Chaplain visited the recon platoon one Sunday. Good sermon, story about some ragged, troops; the rest of the story was that they were our revolutionary war soldiers. Moral was not to be too critical of less well trained allied troops.

Any of you ANGLICO Marines out there?

This a Point Maker - Not an Ego Issue.

I was transfered into message center as the field messenger and drove around the the DaNang region by myself in a jeep in 1965/66, and that was was sensitive and difficult duty but very worth while. The other message center clerk informed me as I walked in one day to our little hut while he was standing at a door way with the switchboard operater they had a 2x4 placed over the door's threshold, I can break this 2x4 the same way the ROK's did this morning, and before I could stop him, he broke his hand. For the next few weeks I was not only the field messenger but also the clerk typist. I was also the afternoon postal clerk which I enjoyed, for that truly was fun duty. I was selected for the field duty and went through thorough reviews before I was given the jeep and the trust to remain alive in the field, and that is hard to explain to the average marine who will break their hand afterwards. I am 61 years old and suffer from PTSD. I hope this reflection has some merits for some of you.

William the "point maker"

Quote Originally Posted by Williamwfh
    he broke his hand. ......... I hope this reflection has some merits for some of you.
    Your comments do bring back some memories, William. Any time they (ROK Marines) weren't on a search & destroy operation, back in the CP they would practice Tae Kwon Do. Often, at the end, a few of their most expert black belts would demonstrate their skills. They were good, indeed. But I was once deceived by the breaking of an extremely thick pile of bricks with hands and foreheads. I then discovered that Vietnamese bricks are not nearly as strong as our own. Still it was an impressive display of skill.

I'm 61 too. Fortunately no PTSD, but I do go through phases of waking up at 3 or 4 am with images, smells, or sounds that I don't care to recall. I think that, for me, checking out these USMC websites in the past several months helps that more than it hurts.

Best wishes to you and Semper Fi

Thanks for the reply - and PTSD reminder

For your poor sleep habits try getting your spin back into shape as I mentioned above with a ply wood board, and seek professional help for PTSD. In Vietnam of 1965 I was warned about my movements alone after one of my friends Sgt. Schwartz [ďAĒ Btry]; killed republic Vietnam 1965 cause of death friendly fire. In a rage to kill VC Sgt. Schwartz left the compound and was killed by ARVNís. As I recall only 16 lbs. of his body were found intact. In his pockets he had many grenades. The VA refused to recognize the importance of this issue as having any significance to my stressor listing and keep harassing me for more information knowing I am under post military orders not to discuss my activities, my VA psychiatrist has been removed from my case, but I did reflect on the Vietnamese that helped me in the field, and mainly the street orphans which one day one of those orphans I was informed blew herself up while I was in the main PX at her request to buy her a blanket. Since discharge from the marines I have was not able to adjust to civilian life, but for a short period I did study and become a computer scientist, then I back slid into depression and an only worked sporadically. Today I am a care giver for another veteran who has Alzheimerís and periodically provide information to the U.S. government of national and international affairs which they do at times consider and act on. The VA on the other hand is a vicious under hand cycle of distrust for the veteran nation-wide, the councilors are not interested or mentally able to conduct business on behalf of the veteran and their needs. They on the most part believe they are there for the betterment of the government for what ever that means and the veteran is to get the bare bones. For a period of time I became the lead investigator on NASA shuttle Challenger at the industrial level and never agreed with the U.S. Governmentís Rogers Commission, and was later found to be correct when the shuttle Columbia went down. After that the U.S. Congress did contact me and I did provide relevant information in the following commissionís and investigation but no where will my name be seen or spoken. Only recently has U.S. Senator Akaka spoken out in my behalf and provided me with a picture with his signature on it and that was at his request. For decades I have lived with PTSD and it pops up in many different ways, some are mental, and some are organic maybe spinal, nevertheless they are serious and we veterans beyond a normal family-life deserve better treatment and understanding of our post military condition because someday we might again be called upon and depended upon to serve our nation.

Thread Information