Joining with Asthma. - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    THATS OFFICIAL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bootlace15 out

Quote Originally Posted by Christ0ph
    How the heck did he find out he had asthma with PFT stats like that? Most asthmatics can't run 1.5mi, let alone in 12:30

I ran cross country and track in high school. I ran 8 minutes in the 1.5 mile, and sub 18 minutes in the 3 mile. I had asthma when I was little, so I wasn't able to get into the marines. I got accepted to VMI after high school, but I couldn't get an ROTC scholarship due to my asthma. Being in the marines is the only thing that I have ever wanted to do. I am a junior now at texas tech university. Is there any way that I can get in after I graduate if my asthma is pretty much non-existant?

Quote Originally Posted by Christ0ph
    How the heck did he find out he had asthma with PFT stats like that? Most asthmatics can't run 1.5mi, let alone in 12:30
    I have asthma and can run three miles in 24 minutes now. While on active duty I could easily run well under that pace. Making general statements like that is usually a sure way to be wrong.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Dpessing, it all depends on when you last used your inhaler. They'll also run some tests. It's definately worth a try. Worst thing that can happen - You're told sorry, you're not eligible to be a Marine. Best thing - You're clear to take the ultimate test!

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    I have asthma and can run three miles in 24 minutes now. While on active duty I could easily run well under that pace. Making general statements like that is usually a sure way to be wrong.

Did you work really hard to get in WITH asthma? Or did it show up after you were in?

New Here

Hey everyone, my name is Jesse, first time on here thought i'd share my thoughts..

I'm 20 right now and have wanted to join since as long as i could remember. I wasnt told I couldn't get in with asthma until after I had graduated high school so as you can imagine it kind of ruined some dreams. So I accepted it and went off two college, two years later here i am again, wanting to do it.

Now I haven't had an attack since I moved out of my home, which I think is because I have allergy induced asthma, am allergic to cats and dogs, and you guessed it, there are cats and dogs in the home.

So I'm thinking if I could talk to a recruiter and plan on going in when i finish getting my bachelors in 2 years, and perhaps go that long without needing an inhaler, that should prove I don't need it. I really think that I would be able to get through training no problem, I'm very active in sports.

I've always wanted to be infantry but know that worse case scenario, if I had an attack during a critical time it would be very bad, so I think if i could join as someone not directly on the front line I could avoid that.

So I guess its off to a recruiter this week to see what happens, any advice or thoughts to bring with me??

Jesse

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    First before you see a recruiter you need to go to a doctor and get a second opinion. I can almost guarantee that's what he's going to tell you.

Semper Fi 4 Life
    Yours is not to question why but to do or die!!!

Go get a Pulmonary Function Test... they aren't horribly expensive, and your recruiter is going to have to get you to get one anyway.... so why not go in and get one before hand.

I am about to go up to MEPS myself and will have to try to get a waiver for asthma. Like DGardner said, take some PFT's. I took the methacodine challenge, and another one.. both came up negative for asthma.. You will probably have to go to your local hospital for the methacodine challenge.. It isnt hard at all, just do your best. I am fine, always have been if you ask me, but like many other I had a worrying mother as a young lad. I'm hoping I can get a waiver, and hopefully you can too.

Ok so I went to the recruiter today....heres what he said....

As long as my asthma isn't bothering me anymore and I continue to call it "childhood asthma" all I need to do is sign a waiver saying that I have no more problem with it. I'm not sure if he isn't that informed about it or what but every time I bring it up he just says, "I'm not worried about that you look fit and if you exercise you'll be fine."

So I'm not real sure exactly what to think of it, it'd be a dream come true if it works out, he's talking about me going to boot camp in January, maybe do the reserves until I finish college. We'll see how it goes I'm off to talk to them again tomorrow.

Jesse

Marine Free Member darkgreen0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    You still need to get that pulmonary test done anyway. Boot Camp is very physical and if you're in college and haven't been doing anything physical boot camp could make your asthma flare up because you haven't been active. Still get that test done.

Semper Fi 4 Life

Yeah thats a good point, I play a lot of sports in college though and stay pretty active. Also I've been doing P90X which is a workout, and if u don't know what it is LOOK IT UP it's amazing.

I'll probably do that PFT soon, does anyone know is that the thing that you blow once real hard and measure how far you blew the gauge?

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    The methacholine challenge test will cost you about 900-1100$ if you dont have insurance. Thats the test they induce you into an asthma attack. The Navy/Marine Corps lowered the standards from 25mg to 15mg to reduce the failure rate back in i believe 2004.. I took the test with 25mg and passed it by 10%... you have a 10% chance to fail the test, if you drop 20% they stop the test.. Im waiting on MEPS to accept me back in. Should have an answer tomorrow.

I just want to also say, that your recruiter may give you the option of just never mentioning ever having asthma to the people at MEPS. I personally refuse to take that path because it isnt honest and honesty is one large part of having integrity.

Have integrity, do the right thing, if its meant in the books for you to be a United States Marine, then you will be.

Oh and Motorola I dont know how accurate that information is.. from my understanding, the strictest standards are a drop of 15% is declared asthmatic, while most are up to 20%. I dont know, you may very well be right.. I suppose its a decision left up to the Corps.

Thread Information