Joining with Asthma.
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Joining with Asthma.

Hello, my friend entered the DEP, and was in it for 7 months before he found out he has asthma. He can run the 1.5 mile in 12:30. He can do 15 pullups and the 100 situps. He was medically discharged but then never took a lung capacity test. He really wants to be a Marine, is there any way he can become one?

Tell him to go get the tests done himself, take the results to a recruiter, and see if he can work it out.

How the heck did he find out he had asthma with PFT stats like that? Most asthmatics can't run 1.5mi, let alone in 12:30

Credits
    Savings
    Asthma can be very mild and sometimes not show itself at all when it comes to physical exercise, (just allergies etc)... I have mild asthma and can run the full 3 miles (21mins and falling!), max out on crunches and pull ups and still not feel the tightness of the chest.

Ask him whether his asthma has started to dissipate over the years since childhood. People can (but not always), grow out of asthma. If his asthma is getting better, he MIGHT be able to grow out of it in a couple of years, and then would stand a better chance of passing the medical. From what I've heard, regulations state that for someone to just pass the medical after having asthma, they can't have had symptoms since age 12. HOWEVER, if he can somehow prove that he has truly gotten over the asthma (regular spirograh [sp?] tests for about a year), then I THINK his condition can be waived.

When I was told that I couldn't join due to my childhood asthma, it totally tore me apart. I mean I was a complete wreck, all of my dreams had seemingly just been smashed. I know how your friend feels, I know this sounds cheesy but I guarentee you that he'll be needing a close friend right now, someone he can talk to honestly and openly with.

Credits
    Savings
    Oops, I forgot to read your post properly and it's too late to edit my last. As he's just found out he has asthma, like E4B said, have him get as many tests done as he can to prove them wrong. If they're right, then he can't join, his best bet is to wait a couple of years and hope it dissipates.

Good luck - my heart goes out to him, he must be feeling like s***.

Oh, and you might want to fill out your profile unless you want SSgt Nelson to tear you a new a**hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Christ0ph
    How the heck did he find out he had asthma with PFT stats like that? Most asthmatics can't run 1.5mi, let alone in 12:30
    Most but not all.

Well he's very lucky. My Neurofibromatosis has disqualified me from any military service, let alone the Marine Corps

And yes, fill in your profile or SSgt. Nelson will...act accordingly

The big thing about asthma is when was the last time you used/needed an inhaler. If it was childhood asthma, you disqualified yourself. If you really want to be a Marine, you'll shut your mouth about asthma. I had sports related astham, meaning if i ran for long periods of time, it would flare up. And in the muggy weather of PI, it flared up. You can control those things if you
    re desire is there.

Quote Originally Posted by AshLynne
    The big thing about asthma is when was the last time you used/needed an inhaler. If it was childhood asthma, you disqualified yourself. If you really want to be a Marine, you'll shut your mouth about asthma. I had sports related astham, meaning if i ran for long periods of time, it would flare up. And in the muggy weather of PI, it flared up. You can control those things if you
    re desire is there.
    Wrong answer. It is not OK to lie in order to get into the Marine Corps. There are reasons that the rules are in place. If you are not qualified it is better for everyone if you are not a Marine. The last thing that anyone needs to worry about is a Marine having an asthma attack during a fire fight. You lose your inhaler while you're on a patrol and end up having an asthma attack and pinpointing your location for anyone that has the ability to hear.

Have some integrity, and don't encourage others to give up their integrity. We're Marines, we're better than that.

Asthma goes away. As well as develops. I'm not telling then to comprise there own integrity, but childhood asthma rarely recurs. On the flip side, a friend of mine recieved a medicl discharge for asthma, no known asthma history. Asthma has become a cure all diagnosis, much like A.D.D. by physicians who are lazy. Many people had "childhood asthma" that was really low grade bronchitis. Same symptoms. I don't want to see potential Marines turned away because of something so small/

Asthma goes away. As well as develops. I'm not telling then to comprise there own integrity, but childhood asthma rarely recurs. On the flip side, a friend of mine recieved a medicl discharge for asthma, no known asthma history. Asthma has become a cure all diagnosis, much like A.D.D. by physicians who are lazy. Many people had "childhood asthma" that was really low grade bronchitis. Same symptoms. I don't want to see potential Marines turned away because of something so small/
    Thats exactly how I see it. When I was 11 or 12 I was swimming and for some reason I just got really short of breath. I was just in the pool like normal. I wasn't swimming really fast or anything. And it took me 15 minutes or so to come back to normal or whatever. My mom was paranoid and brought me to the dr just to check it out and they gave me an inhaler right after they gave me the basic physical. I never used it....I didn't need it. They made up some story about me maybe having some kind of pre-teen asthma that only lasts a couple years or something. I didn't have it and someone stole my inhaler out of dresser I think. Anyways the dr never talked about it after I went in. My breathing was always fine

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    re desire is there.
    This is correct. It all depends on when the last time you needed your inhaler was.

I could not disagree with the idea of telling him to hide it more. I know for a fact that you can get in after being honest about a history with asthma. I did it, and know of several other people that did it.

You are right that it does go away for some people. If that is the case for the person in question, they will be able to get through the process. But, hiding it keep the investigation from taking place and can allow someone that is unfit to serve in the Marines to become a Marine. That isn't in the best interest of anyone, including the young hard charger that wants to enlist.

Credits
    Savings
    Ok, I've got the official answer. I'm sitting in the airport waiting for my flight from Philadelphia back to London (I was here for college interviews and to visit my uncle). Before I went to the airport I decided to go and visit the OSO (Officer Selection Officer) on Market Street. Once there, I asked him frankly about what the deal was with asthma. You guys are right, it does depend on when you last used an inhaler. If it hasn't been for a few years, it should be fine. If there is any doubt, they'll send you to a doctor to have some sort of test (the name of which I can't remember). Basically, in that test they induce asthma, and in his words, "If you have asthma, you'll die, if you don't, you'll live and you can join the Corps". I said, "Fair deal, good enough for me"

ECHO FOUR BRAVO.......................BRAVO, no liers in the Corp,we are better than that. Do whats right,how can this person become a good leader if he lies.....................He's now FIRED............................

bootlace15 out

Thread Information