I got Infantry!
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got Infantry!

I got Infantry!

Damn just my luck. I DEP'd in two weeks ago and this kid with contract 03XX couldn't hack it so I got his spot no questions asked. I signed the contract a few days ago and my shipdate is still the same...20110502...One of the recruiters said I was the luckiest kid with all coincidences involved. I feel great considering the wait times I was quoted ...August...September...October! For other poolees just stick it out if your waiting, you may be picking up after somebody else...

Congrats! Proud of you man.
    I am still waiting for some paperwork for a waiver, and I am hoping for an 02xx (0231) field. Either way, the most important thing, is that I want to be a Marine - whatever they need me to do, I'll do.

Congrats bro. Just make sure you bust your ass so YOU dont lose that contract lol. Oh and to show your recruiter that you deserve it.

Congrats but I dont understand whats the big deal going in to be a 0311 instead of being any other MOS.

Alot of the youngin's *yeah I'm older then the majority of y'all* at my RS want 03 contracts and hope for 0311.

Well, when we both earn the title Marine, I'll support you all the way.

Soon2be2EGA, while I agree with you, you probably didn't read my post fully. Infantry is one of the tougher jobs to get, especially with only two week DEP'd in. People are waiting long periods for this particular MOS. Honestly, It was just dumb luck on my part, and quitting on another guy's part. The Gunnery Sergeant said at our RSS if we can't hack it, don't go to PT and stuff the job would go to somebody else with the same timeslot and somebody who is willing to work hard. If it was a communications MOS spot filled until August that I wanted the title of the read would read differently. It really has little to do with Infantry itself. I do want the EGA more than anything else, but it goes to show hard work and a little luck still play hands in the deck...

Credits
    Savings
    Being 03 isn't better, it is just a different calling. My best friend is a POG and of graduating class of 16 in my high school I am going to be the 3rd Marine and the first 03.

Same here, kid found out what infantry was like and dropped out. I only got the contract because I was in the time slot and I kept asking for it Plus I actually PROVED I deserved it, my PFT scores spoke for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by kjohnson8824 View Post
    Same here, kid found out what infantry was like and dropped out. I only got the contract because I was in the time slot and I kept asking for it Plus I actually PROVED I deserved it, my PFT scores spoke for themselves.
    Congrats! Do you know how he found out?

Credits
    Savings
    His recruiter probably scared him out of it for a good reason.

No his recruiter told him the truth about infantry life, which isnt all runnin and gunnin, Its not some glorious job. If your just looking for combat there's plenty of other MOS's that will get you a CAR too. Alot of people say that infantry sucks because it wasnt what they expected, But there are people, like a friend of mine, that did know what they were getting into and really enjoy it. But i guess you'll just have to find out for yourself!

Credits
    Savings
    My cousin is Marine scout sniper but trains at pendleton right now 0311. So I want 0311 so he can train me and hopefully by a miracle get his squad in deployment.

From what I have been told most of Infantry mos is sitting around bored, getting shot at then the enemy runs away before you can kill em, hiking up mountains and glorified garbage men cleaning up parking lots. At least in this type of warfare.

Yeah well Afghanistan is winding down so you might not even go there. So you might be peacetime infantry, which is doing b*tch work, smelling like ass with breath thats even worse, and doing combat drills.

Well i guess you smell either way hahaha

I guess if I cared about the way I lived i.e. living conditions I would have joined the Air Force. No joke, they have it nice, my friend is an Airman and I have seen their living quarters on FB...

Credits
    Savings
    I am indifferent to whether I go to Afghanistan or not. I was born and raised in the desert so I'd be happy as can be if we can find somebody to fight that lives where there's some green, but I'd be happy too if we can manage to not find anybody to fight. That being said I know there is always somebody that must be fought to maintain freedom, and I understand that the philosophy that wins isn't always the right philosophy, but the strongest. I will fight to make the philosophy of the American people the strongest.

Thread Information