Letters To My Recruit (Question)
Create Post

Question Letters To My Recruit (Question)

Hello all,

I'm new to the forum... have a question would love some feedback. Here goes:

My hubby left for bootcamp Jan 29th I've been writing him since I got the address mailed to the house which was the 31st. However he's not receiving any of my mail. He's in Parris Island... I'm not sure how the DI's do it or whatever but I'm receiving his mail in bulks and he's not getting one piece of mail from me. What's the problem? Are they holding his mail from me? Are they even allowed to hold his mail? I'm so frustrated right now.... Crazy thing is his mom letters??? He's getting those, just not mine. I tried just writing my address on it and leaving off my name like his mother told me she send her letters but still the same thing... He's not getting them! Can someone give me an explanation. Thanks in advance!

They are not holding back the letters...

Ellie

Well the reason I say that they are because i got his letters in bulk from the day he got there until Feb. 11th I just received all his letters on the 14th. So that leads me to believe that they are holding his letters and mailing at a certain time... which still tells me nothing about why my letters arent being received! Thanks for your reply!

Mail from recruit

Quote Originally Posted by DriversWife
    Well the reason I say that they are because i got his letters in bulk from the day he got there until Feb. 11th I just received all his letters on the 14th. So that leads me to believe that they are holding his letters and mailing at a certain time... which still tells me nothing about why my letters arent being received! Thanks for your reply!
    Mail tampering is a felony offense and I doubt very seriously that anyone at MCRD, PI would put their carrer on the line. I'm pretty sure the glitch is somewhere else.

Ensure that you are sending to the correct address for his training battallion and platoon. Also, do not send anything other than paper in the envelope. It is possible that mail can be held if it in any way arrouses suspicion as to its contents. I recall this very thing happening when I was at MCRDSD way back in '83. Some guy's wife was sending him smokes in every letter she sent him, and the letters were being held for investigation. Imagine what steps are being taken in post 9/11 boot camp. Also, there are times when the platoon is not in an area where a mail drop is possible, and letters will accumulate until one can be arranged. Just my 2 cents worth.

Thanks for the response I appreciate it. Maybe he'll get them later on.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    My guess is that usually when mail is returned to sender there is a red stamp or some other sort of explanation on it as to why it was returned. Is there a way for you to compare notes with his mom in person and try to figure out the difference in what is working for her and not working for you?

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    DriversWife-
    My personal experience with sending letters to my son and him receiving them while he was in MCRD was nothing but positive. This also carried over into the FPO (Fleet Post Office) phase of his Marine Corps commitment.
    Have you considered the weather conditions?
    Trivial info.
    You know that some of the letters that I have sent to California from South Florida get to their destination before the letters that I sent, at the same time, to Miami? Don't know why that is but sometimes it does happen.
    Hang in there. Letters can't come soon enough. I'm sure your husband will receive his letters. Your husband is no longer in a civilian environment and things don't quite work out the way we are used to as civilians. (sometimes they work out better)
    Take care of yourself and, if you can, log into the MCRD Parris Island website and navigate around.
    Gary

I just want to thank all of you for your positive response and explanation to what could have happened. I received a letter from him Sat. and he wrote me saying he got a letter from me so that brought smiles to my face. Maybe because I sent him a card and the letter was kind of thick they had to check it out before giving it to him. But thanks again for answering my questions. I truely appreciate it!

Thread Information