Create Post
Page 14 of 19 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    Marine Free Member SgtHopperUSMC's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by curt1015 View Post
    Matting, thats a word i havnt heard in many years. Hey fellow tail hooker good to hear from ya!
    z

I was with ATT Alascom that operated the call home satellite units in the field.The last one was 15 miles south of Kafgi.My security unit was a TOW outfit from Hawaii.

any you guys know david shaw was sgt at the time heard he was killed didnt ever hear how any help would be great he was a tracrat 1833 thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SgtHopperUSMC View Post
    I have noticed that no one puts much here. So where are all of the Desert Shield/Storm Marines?

2nd Plt "C" Co. 8th ESB 2nd FSSG 1st MEF Task Force Papa Bear
    Sgt Lester task Force Ripper 3rd Tank bn Comm Plt

Hey devil dogs I was with mwss-273 as well at Jabail lonesome dove and a airfield just south of Kuwait.
    I was a combat engineer and did my share of matting along side some see bee's.
    Its nice to hear some can remember some their experiances unfortunatly I cant remember much of anything anymore and the guy that memtioned the runnin sh*&*7's for a couple years Iv'e had it for going on 20 it sucks and of course VA can find nothing wrong.I also was discharged after returning for upper airway disease at a whoppin 10% and have since been increased to 20%. But they still claim that my promblems are just that I'm gettin old.
    Has anyone else had anything like this?

SEMPER FI !!

Below is from the Gulf War Illness and Health of Gulf War Veterans published Nov 2008
    http://www1.va.gov/rac-gwvi/docs/GWI...eport_2008.pdf
    It is a 465 page report

Page 24 (also see page 40,274,284,307)

Additional research and clinical findings in Gulf War veterans. Additional information
    pertaining to biological and clinical characteristics of symptomatic Gulf War veterans is available from a
    variety of clinical reports and studies. Individual clinical studies have provided several findings of
    interest, such as increased sensitivity to pain and elevated rates of fibromyalgia in veterans with
    musculoskeletal symptoms, dyspepsia and persistent diarrhea similar to irritable bowel syndrome in
    veterans with gastrointestinal symptoms, abnormal pulmonary function in a subset of veterans with
    respiratory symptoms, and verification of rashes and other skin anomalies in veterans with dermatological
    symptoms. But overall, objective indicators of disease are often not identified in symptomatic Gulf War
    veterans who are referred for specialty evaluations. Clinical reports have also not provided explanations
    for identified problems, such as the causes of veterans’ persistent diarrhea or rashes. One study evaluated
    Gulf War veteran males and their sexual partners who experienced a painful burning reaction to the
    veterans’ seminal fluid, a problem reported by about seven percent of Gulf War veterans. Evaluations
    indicated that about 40 percent of the women had a hypersensitivity reaction to the veterans’ seminal
    fluid, but provided no explanation for the phenomenon, overall. In general, very limited information is
    available on health problems specific to women veterans. Single studies have reported that Gulf War
    veteran women report elevated rates of yeast and bladder infections and breast lumps or cysts, but no
    results are available from medical evaluations.

Hope this helps.

I was at Al Jubal in Desert Storm. I was in EAF and lived near the flight line. MWSS 371 NCOIC.

Whats up brothers?? I was Golf CO. 2/7 second platoon, its good to hear from you guys, I sure as hell dont remember any big party after the war, I just remember being at the DSA for along darn time..........that movie "Jar Head".........all Hollywood, but quite entertaining.

I was with Golf 2/7, task force grizzly SEMPER FI !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello wdh1371,

You said you were at Jubail, Lonesome Dove and the airfield south of Kuwait ...AND, that you remember the Seabee's laying down matting. Well if you go to my webpage you'll find some of the pics in the Photo Gallery are of those places and events. Go to: www.desertveteransearch.com . Send me an e-mail if anything looks familiar. My e-address and contact information are on the webpage. Hope to hear back from you soon.
    Semper Fi

Seabee

Semper Fi brothers in arms. I was with Task Force Papa Bear L Co 3/9. If I remember right Hall 15 was where we stayed for 2 days a month after being out in the desert for a month. We'd shower and slept in bunk beds vs those uncomfortable cots. I don't remember any party until we landed at JFK on March 17, 1991 and returned home to Camp Pendleton. Looking for any fellow brothers who served with me. As for the movie " Jarhead", Hollywood did get one thing right, Swofford was a cry baby! The only thing realistic about that movie was the homemade hooch, fighting scorpions, and playing football.

Quote Originally Posted by gelliott View Post
    Just found this site hopefully someone can help me out.
    My husband Richard "Gene" Elliott was in the 3rd Tank Bat. 7th Reg. from 29 Palms.
    Deployed Aug 16, 1990, from what I understand the 7th Marine Reg was absorbed by the 1st Marine division upon arrival to Saudi Arabia "Task Force Ripper" . He was a Tank Commander, his tank had "Copenhagen Express" painted on it (the gun? Not sure of tank parts), they also had an American flag flying from their tank.

The names Douchet from Louisiana (not sure of spelling) and Allen from Arizona are the only ones I have heard and remember.

My husband was diagnosed 12/08 with Glioblastoma Multiforme Grade 4 brain cancer (not something a healthy Marine should get at 40 years of age). This is a death sentence.

As of right now he is doing great physcally, he has gone through surgery, radiation, and is still doing chemo and Avastin, he has had seizures so is on seizure meds and antidepressants. He has CT's done every 2 months (and will forever) checking for new tumors. Needless to say we live 2 months at a time.

We met in May of 91 after his 1st wife had their son calling another guy daddy when he got home, so I do not have letters or anything I can go back to on any of this.

I have been doing a lot of research the past few months trying to piece together his GW service. The cancer has effected his memory, so he cannot recall details, he knows he was there... But cannot remember much else. Names, dates, specific events are just gone...
    I do know he was a Sgt when deployed, then got demoted back to Cpl ( issue with his LT), the promoted back to Sgt again as he was discharged.
    I have found that he was under Lt Col Buster Diggs, who I have contacted and is writing a letter for a VA claim.
    I am looking for Marines that may remember him and would be willing to fill in gaps. I have the information from Gunny Grass NBC officer and his congressional hearing statements. I also have the report to the House Committee on Veterans Affairs dated May 9, 2009. The following is the website every GW Veteran should read this report if you have not already.
    http://veterans.house.gov/hearings/T...__Steele,_Ph.D.

What I do not have is information about his actual time there, living conditions (I know he lived on his tank... and there were no parties or any food but MRE's), he talked about the camels and snakes, playing cards, weather, the oil fires, alarms etc. Any information would be helpful. Even if is not something for use at the VA we have a 12 year old son that is going to want to know.

Sorry did not mean to write a book, but I am getting pretty desperate.We have filed a claim with the VA but it was denied. We are going to start again Next week and I want my own ammo to take with me this time around!

Just a note I am also the proud mom of a soon to be Marine our 21 year old son is leaving for bootcamp in Dec.

Thank you so much
    Candie
    I was in the same unit as your husband, but different platoon. I do know of one other guy from our same company that was diagnosed with Brain Cancer and had surgury.. his name was David Burnett, he stayed in after the gulf war and ended up teaching at fort knox until he got sick. I lost touch with him but this information may help. I also have lots of pictures of our time over there...Most are of my platoon, I was in hq platoon on the blade tank. I believe your husband was in HQ platoon prior to us going overseas..? My name is Michael Bower and my phone number is 203-463-8229, please let me know if there is anything I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by gelliott View Post
    Just found this site hopefully someone can help me out.
    My husband Richard "Gene" Elliott was in the 3rd Tank Bat. 7th Reg. from 29 Palms.
    Deployed Aug 16, 1990, from what I understand the 7th Marine Reg was absorbed by the 1st Marine division upon arrival to Saudi Arabia "Task Force Ripper" . He was a Tank Commander, his tank had "Copenhagen Express" painted on it (the gun? Not sure of tank parts), they also had an American flag flying from their tank.

The names Douchet from Louisiana (not sure of spelling) and Allen from Arizona are the only ones I have heard and remember.

My husband was diagnosed 12/08 with Glioblastoma Multiforme Grade 4 brain cancer (not something a healthy Marine should get at 40 years of age). This is a death sentence.

As of right now he is doing great physcally, he has gone through surgery, radiation, and is still doing chemo and Avastin, he has had seizures so is on seizure meds and antidepressants. He has CT's done every 2 months (and will forever) checking for new tumors. Needless to say we live 2 months at a time.

We met in May of 91 after his 1st wife had their son calling another guy daddy when he got home, so I do not have letters or anything I can go back to on any of this.

I have been doing a lot of research the past few months trying to piece together his GW service. The cancer has effected his memory, so he cannot recall details, he knows he was there... But cannot remember much else. Names, dates, specific events are just gone...
    I do know he was a Sgt when deployed, then got demoted back to Cpl ( issue with his LT), the promoted back to Sgt again as he was discharged.
    I have found that he was under Lt Col Buster Diggs, who I have contacted and is writing a letter for a VA claim.
    I am looking for Marines that may remember him and would be willing to fill in gaps. I have the information from Gunny Grass NBC officer and his congressional hearing statements. I also have the report to the House Committee on Veterans Affairs dated May 9, 2009. The following is the website every GW Veteran should read this report if you have not already.
    http://veterans.house.gov/hearings/T...__Steele,_Ph.D.

What I do not have is information about his actual time there, living conditions (I know he lived on his tank... and there were no parties or any food but MRE's), he talked about the camels and snakes, playing cards, weather, the oil fires, alarms etc. Any information would be helpful. Even if is not something for use at the VA we have a 12 year old son that is going to want to know.

Sorry did not mean to write a book, but I am getting pretty desperate.We have filed a claim with the VA but it was denied. We are going to start again Next week and I want my own ammo to take with me this time around!

Just a note I am also the proud mom of a soon to be Marine our 21 year old son is leaving for bootcamp in Dec.

Thank you so much
    Candie
    I responded to you by email earlier today but in the meantime I spoke with Mike Bolin who was in same platoon. He told me some stories and we ended up talking for a couple hours. Let me know if you want his phone number or email.

MWSS 273 here in the Storm. Dingman I remember all those places you talked about! I just joined here and am looking for a few good men I served with in MWSS 273.

Credits
    Savings
    Anyone from HMM-264 black knights? I was with MAG-26 and did operation provide comfort in Turkey and northern Iraq.

Thread Information