Where are all of you? - Page 13
Create Post
Page 13 of 19 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
    Was with 10th MARINES ARTILLERY BATTERY over in the GULF

Another desert storm vet checking in I was with VMAQ-2 at Sheik Isa Bin I spent 3 months on guard duty augmenting the MP's guarding the ammo pit and the base.

Scud Bowl checking in..

Kicked it at the "stadium" 6months and 30 days at Rhaz Ah Ghar with the MPs..

Lcpl Armando "V" Vilchis

Got to saudi in August 1990. The 82 airborn failed to show up with their ammo so we had to give half of all our ammo to them. Then after we were down to maybe five hundred rounds of 50cal and M60 rounds we got to post up on the saudi border incase the republican guard decided to roll in from Kuwait. There were not many of us there at that time. Getting off that plane then going to that port of jubal near the ocean was as hot as it gets. Then eight months of it. I was in Task Force Ripper. I think If they hadn't of broke up my platoon because the line companies needed machinegunners I might have re-enlisted, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and after I got back to Cali I just got out. Proud to have served though. I met a great deal of guys I'm proud to think of as brothers and a small few that I could not stand to include our LT. He was a moron. And whenever he would give a field class I'd be one of the first ones to volunteer to burn poop. It was better to burn it then to listen to it. I was in 1/7 Heavy Guns then we got broken up and I was in 1/7 Aco weapons platoon

I was in Desert Sheild -Storm,not in the Corps.Out in the Saudi desert,The Air Guard unit I was in supported the Marines with A-10's.Later on we were at Al-Jabar & Ali Al Saliem Kuwait,I knew the USMC was there,they left A/C units with "USMC was here" stenciled on them,at Al Jaber.

New Photo Gallery added to website

I have added a new 'photo gallery' to the Desert Veteran Search (www.desertveteransearch.com) website with over 100 pictures taken during DS/DS 90-91. They include Camp#53 Lonesome Dove, Kibrit, Wally-World and Al Jubail.
    Go to: www.desertveteransearch.com
    Scroll down to: the pictures in the middle of the page
    Click-on: the 'link' under the photographs to enter the Photo Gallery.
    All pictures can be enlarged and down-loaded by clicking on each one individualy.
    If anyone recognizes anything familiar in the gallery...send me an e-mail. Happy Hunting Semper Fi

EO-3 Kernaghan
    Seabee

Quote Originally Posted by Trucrimsongold View Post
    Got to saudi in August 1990. The 82 airborn failed to show up with their ammo so we had to give half of all our ammo to them. Then after we were down to maybe five hundred rounds of 50cal and M60 rounds we got to post up on the saudi border incase the republican guard decided to roll in from Kuwait. There were not many of us there at that time. Getting off that plane then going to that port of jubal near the ocean was as hot as it gets. Then eight months of it. I was in Task Force Ripper. I think If they hadn't of broke up my platoon because the line companies needed machinegunners I might have re-enlisted, but the whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth and after I got back to Cali I just got out. Proud to have served though. I met a great deal of guys I'm proud to think of as brothers and a small few that I could not stand to include our LT. He was a moron. And whenever he would give a field class I'd be one of the first ones to volunteer to burn poop. It was better to burn it then to listen to it. I was in 1/7 Heavy Guns then we got broken up and I was in 1/7 Aco weapons platoon
    Trucrimsongold...
    Hay Marine! When you get a few minutes I'd like you to give me a phone call. I'd like to ask you about being posted on the Saudi border with Kuwait (Camp#53 Lonesome Dove/Camp Smith on the Seabee side). Give me a shout out at: 816-358-7765 home evenings; after 1800 hrs.
    Semper Fi

EO-3 Kernaghan
    Seabee

Just found this site hopefully someone can help me out.
    My husband Richard "Gene" Elliott was in the 3rd Tank Bat. 7th Reg. from 29 Palms.
    Deployed Aug 16, 1990, from what I understand the 7th Marine Reg was absorbed by the 1st Marine division upon arrival to Saudi Arabia "Task Force Ripper" . He was a Tank Commander, his tank had "Copenhagen Express" painted on it (the gun? Not sure of tank parts), they also had an American flag flying from their tank.

The names Douchet from Louisiana (not sure of spelling) and Allen from Arizona are the only ones I have heard and remember.

My husband was diagnosed 12/08 with Glioblastoma Multiforme Grade 4 brain cancer (not something a healthy Marine should get at 40 years of age). This is a death sentence.

As of right now he is doing great physcally, he has gone through surgery, radiation, and is still doing chemo and Avastin, he has had seizures so is on seizure meds and antidepressants. He has CT's done every 2 months (and will forever) checking for new tumors. Needless to say we live 2 months at a time.

We met in May of 91 after his 1st wife had their son calling another guy daddy when he got home, so I do not have letters or anything I can go back to on any of this.

I have been doing a lot of research the past few months trying to piece together his GW service. The cancer has effected his memory, so he cannot recall details, he knows he was there... But cannot remember much else. Names, dates, specific events are just gone...
    I do know he was a Sgt when deployed, then got demoted back to Cpl ( issue with his LT), the promoted back to Sgt again as he was discharged.
    I have found that he was under Lt Col Buster Diggs, who I have contacted and is writing a letter for a VA claim.
    I am looking for Marines that may remember him and would be willing to fill in gaps. I have the information from Gunny Grass NBC officer and his congressional hearing statements. I also have the report to the House Committee on Veterans Affairs dated May 9, 2009. The following is the website every GW Veteran should read this report if you have not already.
    http://veterans.house.gov/hearings/T...__Steele,_Ph.D.

What I do not have is information about his actual time there, living conditions (I know he lived on his tank... and there were no parties or any food but MRE's), he talked about the camels and snakes, playing cards, weather, the oil fires, alarms etc. Any information would be helpful. Even if is not something for use at the VA we have a 12 year old son that is going to want to know.

Sorry did not mean to write a book, but I am getting pretty desperate.We have filed a claim with the VA but it was denied. We are going to start again Next week and I want my own ammo to take with me this time around!

Just a note I am also the proud mom of a soon to be Marine our 21 year old son is leaving for bootcamp in Dec.

Thank you so much
    Candie

Hello GELLIOTT,

Seabee here...Please contact me with regards to DS/DS. I would like to speak with you and your husband by phone. Call me 'collect' at: 816-358-7765 central time, any evening after 18:00 hrs (6:00pm). I will accept the charges.
    I was in the desert with the 1st Marine Expidetionary Forces (1st MEF) from December 90 to January 91, and convoyed material, equipment, ammunition and needed supplies to the northern area encampments for the Marines.
    I know what you are going through...my twin sons are both Marine Sgt's, and both have already made three tours to the desert since I was there.
    Semper Fi !!!

EO-3 George E. Kernaghan, USN
    NMCB-24 Alfa Co. 1990-1991

PS: when I clicked on your 'link' , I was not able to bring up the text on the report.

Last edited by EO-3 George Ker; 11-05-09 at 04:13 PM. Reason: add post script

Thanks for your reply I will give you a call as soon as I can the following is the report.. Sorry the link would not work.

House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs[/B]

Subcommittee on Oversight and Investigations
    May 19, 2009
    Statement of Lea Steele, Ph.D.

Adjunct Associate Professor,
    Kansas State University School of Human Ecology, Manhattan, KS, and Former Scientific Director, Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses
    Good morning, Mr. Chairman and members of the subcommittee. I’m Dr. Lea Steele. I am an epidemiologist, and have conducted studies on the health of Gulf War veterans since 1997, when I directed a Gulf War research program sponsored by the State of Kansas. I have also served on the Congressionally-mandated federal Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses since its inception, and was the Committee’s Scientific Director from 2003 to 2008. During that time, I oversaw preparation of a major scientific report on the health of Gulf War Veterans, issued by the Committee in November of 2008.(1)
    In my brief remarks this morning, I will provide highlights of the Committee’s scientific findings from the report. This is an extensive and in-depth report, over 450 pages in length, which reviewed and synthesized findings from hundreds of scientific studies, government investigations, and other documents. Our charge was to review available evidence to determine what had been learned about the nature, causes, and treatments for health problems affecting veterans of the 1991 Gulf War.
    The report’s primary focus is on Gulf War illness, the multisymptom problem previously referred to as Gulf War Syndrome, or Gulf War-related undiagnosed illness. It is important to distinguish this multisymptom condition from diagnosed diseases such as cancer or diabetes, which are well defined and readily diagnosable using standard medical testing methods. In contrast, “Gulf War illness” refers specifically to the symptomatic illness that affects Gulf War veterans at excess rates, but is not explained by well-established medical or psychiatric diagnoses. This condition is characterized by a complex of multiple symptoms that typically includes headache, persistent memory and concentration difficulties, widespread pain, unexplained fatigue, gastrointestinal problems, and other abnormalities.
    Here are the major findings from the Committee’s report concerning Gulf War illness:
    • Gulf War illness is real. Scientific studies of Gulf War veterans from different units and regions of the U.S. consistently identify this pattern of illness at significantly excess rates. All Gulf War studies show the same thing—that is, the same types and patterns of excess symptoms are consistently identified in different groups of Gulf War veterans. Illness rates vary with the areas where veterans served during deployment, and with their branch of service. Generally, Gulf War illness is most prevalent among ground troops who served in more forward areas of theater, and less common in Air Force and Navy personnel.
    • Gulf War illness differs fundamentally from trauma and stress-related syndromes seen after other wars. Studies consistently show that Gulf War illness is not the result of combat or other psychological stressors, and that rates of psychiatric disorders such as posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD) are relatively low in Gulf War veterans, compared to veterans of other wars. No similar widespread, unexplained symptomatic illness has been identified in studies of veterans who have served in war zones since the Gulf War, including current Middle East deployments.
    • Gulf War illness is a serious problem. It affects at least one fourth of the nearly 700,000 U.S. military personnel who served in the 1990-1991 Gulf War. Studies of different veteran populations consistently indicate that between 25% and 32% of Gulf War veterans have this multisymptom condition, over and above symptom rates in veterans from the same time period who did not serve in the Gulf War. The extent of this problem was again verified last month, with publication of a VA study of a nationwide sample of over 6,000 Gulf War veterans. It identified an excess of 25% of Gulf War veterans with multisymptom illness, compared to nondeployed era veterans.(2)
    • Most veterans with Gulf War illness have not recovered or substantially improved with time. All studies that have evaluated veterans’ health longitudinally have reported little improvement. The largest study, conducted by VA, indicated that after 10 years of follow up, only 2% of veterans with Gulf War illness had recovered. As a result, many veterans have now been ill for over 18 years.
    • Of the many Gulf War experiences and exposures suggested to have caused Gulf War illness, scientific evidence consistently points to just two causal factors: 1) pyridostigmine bromide (PB) pills, given to protect troops from effects of nerve agents, and 2) use of pesticides in theater. Both PB and many of the pesticides of concern can act as neurotoxicants through effects on an important neurotransmitter, acetylcholine, in the brain and nervous system.
    • Several other contributing factors cannot be ruled out, due to evidence that is either inconsistent or limited in important ways. These include: 1) low-level exposure to chemical nerve agents in theater, 2) higher-level exposure to smoke from oil well fires, 3) receipt of a large number of vaccines, and 4) effects of combinations of neurotoxicants such as PB, pesticides, and nerve agents. Other wartime exposures are not likely to have caused Gulf War illness for the majority of ill veterans. These include depleted uranium, anthrax vaccine, fuels, airborne particulates, infectious diseases, and CARC (chemical agent resistant coating) paint used on combat vehicles.
    • Multiple studies from different research teams provide an emerging picture of the biological nature of Gulf War illness, that is, the physical mechanisms that underlie this condition. Identified differences most prominently affect the brain and nervous systems of ill veterans, with additional findings related to endocrine and immune function. The exact biological mechanisms that cause veterans’ symptoms are not yet known, however, and clinical diagnostic tests are not yet available.
    Although Gulf War illness is, by far, the most prevalent health problem affecting Gulf War veterans, it is not the only health issue of concern. The most serious diagnosed diseases associated with Gulf War service also affect the brain. Studies indicate that Gulf War veterans have significantly higher rates of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS, or Lou Gehrig’s disease) than other veterans. In addition, veterans identified by Department of Defense models as being downwind from chemical nerve agent releases at Khamisiyah, Iraq, in March of 1991, have died from brain cancer at twice the rate of other veterans in theater. These very serious neurological conditions affect relatively few veterans, but are clearly cause for concern. Rates of other neurological diseases have not yet been evaluated by research studies.
    Important questions remain about other important Gulf War health issues. Studies have indicated that, overall, Gulf War veterans have not had an increased rate of death due to disease. But comprehensive information on mortality among U.S. Gulf War veterans after 1997 has not yet been published. There are also important unanswered questions concerning rates of cancer and other diseases in Gulf War veterans, and health problems affecting veterans’ children.
    The Committee also reviewed, in detail, information on federal research programs and funding related to the health of Gulf War veterans. The report found that, historically, these research programs have not been effective in addressing priority issues related to Gulf War illness or other health problems affecting Gulf War veterans. Between 1994 and 2007, federal agencies report spending $340 - $440 million on projects identified as “Gulf War research.” While this supported a number of extremely important studies and research breakthroughs, overall, federal programs were not focused on addressing Gulf War research issues of greatest importance, for example, studies to identify causes and treatments for Gulf War illness, and rates of other diseases.
    Historically, a substantial portion of the federal research funding identified by interagency reports to Congress as supporting “Gulf War research” has been used for projects that have little or no relevance to the health of Gulf War veterans, or projects focused on stress and psychiatric conditions. While Congressional actions since 2006 have brought about promising new program developments at both the Department of Defense and the Department of Veterans Affairs, overall federal funding for Gulf War research has declined dramatically since 2001.
    A renewed federal research commitment is needed to identify effective treatments for Gulf War illness, improve understanding of this condition, and address other priority Gulf War health issues. Adequate funding and appropriate program management is required to achieve the critical objectives of improving the health of Gulf War veterans and preventing similar problems in future deployments. As noted by the Committee this is a national obligation, made especially urgent by the many years that Gulf War veterans have waited for answers and assistance.
    References
    1. Research Advisory Committee on Gulf War Veterans’ Illnesses. Gulf War Illness and the Health of Gulf War Veterans: Scientific Findings and Recommendations. Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office, November 2008. Available online at: www.va.gov/RAC-GWVI.
    2. Kang HK, B Li, CM Mahan, SA Eisen, and CC Engel. Health of US Veterans of 1991 Gulf War: A Follow-Up Survey in 10 Years. Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine 2009 Apr; 51(4):401-410.

Thankyou Gene Appreciate The Information.

Stephen Hansen Fellow Desert Storm Vet

mwss 273

Quote Originally Posted by mark king View Post
    hey any of you guys ever have camel spiders vs. scorpion fights? over there
    i lost a lot of money on those.
    camel spiders i hated! But it was the little black scorpions that made me all the money. LOL

I was also at Jaibal and Lonesome Dove. I was with the tail hookers MWSS 273, expeditionary airfields. Good to here some stories from the war and places I was at.

I was with 273 also and hell ya I remember all the frog missels and chemical alarms every night for about two weeks. Thanks to the first combat use of the Predetor drone we were able to locate where the sneaky bastards were hideing there launchers and finally blew them outta there.

Quote Originally Posted by juang View Post
    I was a combat eng with mwss 174 at the stadium. we built the wooden skeletong for the gp tents, put down the matting for the flightline, built all the bunkers there too. it was some long days and nights alot of hard work, made some really good friends there.
    Matting, thats a word i havnt heard in many years. Hey fellow tail hooker good to hear from ya!

Thread Information