Poolees in college with split option
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poolees in college with split option

I'm just curious as to how you poolees got the split option while your in school. Did you have to have papers proving your going to be a student next year or did you just put it in your contract. Some people I know have splits now but I was told I won't have verification till like April from my school saying I'll be registered next year.

I don't think I even had to give any sort of verification that I was a college student when I signed up for the split option. And I enlisted a couple weeks after my freshman year started. I think there are limited split option slots for each summer, so you should probably ask your recruiter these questions.

im going through the split routine. im going up to MEPS on the 19th and doing all my paper work. i got accepted into 3 colleges and waiting for 2 more by march. my recruiter said you should be registered into the school by april which means you gave all your medical forms and paid your reservation fee or other fees. yea thats what i know.

If you can, try not to go to boot camp as a "92 day reservist." About 7 or 8 weeks into boot camp, during team week, they pull you from your platoon and stick you with another from a different company. Unit cohesion is everything, and your new company may not take kindly to a new recruit.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Why do they do that?

Quote Originally Posted by hoytarcher45
    If you can, try not to go to boot camp as a "92 day reservist." About 7 or 8 weeks into boot camp, during team week, they pull you from your platoon and stick you with another from a different company. Unit cohesion is everything, and your new company may not take kindly to a new recruit.

Actually, I'm going into boot camp as a 92 day reservist but I won't be puled from my platoon because I'm shipping out so early (May 21) since I'm already in college. So, I'm scheduled to be back before the next fall semester starts. But yeah, if you have to wait until after high school graduation to go to boot camp (in the beginning of June), then your boot camp graduation date will be in the beginning of September, and you'd end up missing the first couple of weeks of college. Thus, you'd probably get pulled from your platoon during team week and moved up a week so that you'll graduate a week earlier. (You'll just completely skip team week). A friend of mine has to do this.

WOW, they move you ahead in boot camp? When I went through the split option folks did boot camp one summer and MCT/SOI and MOS school the next summer. If the schools or boot camp didn't end before the semester, that was just tough luck. Sounds like they're doing a good job of working with people now.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well they're saying I'm guaranteed to be back in time before school, but I never knew about missing a whole week.

Yes, Echo Four Bravo, they still split up SOI/MCT and MOS schools in the following summers but I'm new to this whole one week less of boot camp.

Weird.

i didnt know you get pulled out of team week. thats new to me.

what does team week consist of anyway? is that before or after the crucible?

Team week consists of doing jobs around base that need to be done. You may work in a chow hall, or doing some sort of maintainence.

Recruits don't work in the chow halls anymore.

The things that you could possibly do:
    Bucket issue
    O2 clothing
    Laundry
    Picking up trash around your battalion
    mowing, weed wacking, raking, etc.
    There is all kinds of stuff that you'll do.
    The guide and a few other recruits might stay back in the squad bay and prepare things for the Company Commanders inspection.

sabbs88, team week is before the crucible.

Seriously if you can, try not to take the split-option. My banker, who is a Marine ret. Told me stories about how if you pick the split option, right after boot camp, they CAN activate you, before you get to SOI/MCT MOS. You would essentially be in the designated deployed area with no specialty, no training other than boot camp. You'll eventually be screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by ItzAlex
    Seriously if you can, try not to take the split-option. My banker, who is a Marine ret. Told me stories about how if you pick the split option, right after boot camp, they CAN activate you, before you get to SOI/MCT MOS. You would essentially be in the designated deployed area with no specialty, no training other than boot camp. You'll eventually be screwed.
    for some reason i dont beileve that. they wouldnt do that.

Thats because you go to drill and learn it there maybe?

Thread Information