Machine gunner 0331
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Machine gunner 0331

Hello all I was curiouse about MOS 0331 what are your duties as a machine gunner in the Marine Corps ?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    hmmm...I'm not a Marine but I'd say it would involve machine guns...lol...

Thanks ElDiablo but I needed a little more info

The machine gunner is responsible for the tactical employment of the 7.62mm medium machine gun, the 50 cal., and 40mm heavy machine-gun, and their support vehicle. Machine gunners provide direct fire in support of the rifle and LAR squads/platoons/companies and the infantry and LAR battalions. They are located in the weapons platoons of the rifle and LAR companies and the weapons company of the infantry battalion. Noncommissioned officers are assigned as mortar gunners, forward observers, fire direction plotters, and squad and section leaders.

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/enlistedjo2/a/0331.htm

Google is your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by Kildars
    Google is your friend.

Only when it gives you the right information with out having to look for 5 min. you can also find information about machine gunner responsibilities/ duties on www.Marines.com

Quote Originally Posted by thezero
    Only when it gives you the right information with out having to look for 5 min. you can also find information about machine gunner responsibilities/ duties on www.Marines.com
    I just googled "Marine Corps MOS 0331" and that was the first link, it doesnt take long longer to make the post asking the question lol.

And in an attempt to thwart some of the other questions along this subject www.Marines.com is a [B]VERY[[B] good site to look on about Machine Gunners, and other occupations along that line.

Just offering what little help I can give at the moment

Why is it that everyone here thinks you should search for your info instead of just asking? I would rather hear what 0331 was like from a real Machinegunner than the official source.

Quote Originally Posted by SkilletsUSMC
    Why is it that everyone here thinks you should search for your info instead of just asking? I would rather hear what 0331 was like from a real Machinegunner than the official source.
    Sorry sir if I tried to make someone research instead of asking I was only trying to give some advice on what they COULD do not what they SHOULD because I also had the same question when I was still wondering if I wanted to be a SAW Gunner and other machine guns operator or be an Infantry Officer and I learned alot from the www.Marines.com which I have already metioned.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Machine gunners at the battlion level are also trained in the maintenance and employment of the MK-19. They do not fire morters. All the other stuff you posted also sounded right on the money. Brand new to the fleet machine gunners often do not carry or fire the gun but generally carry extra ammo and an M-16 and act as assistant gunner.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings

Perhaps...

Quote Originally Posted by SkilletsUSMC
    ...cause (some of us ) CLEAN THEIR CLOCK for taking the easy way, instead of a little effort in research.

From the point of BOOK SMART (after basic research), then digging into the real life of an 0331 with questions.

As an 0341 (81 Mortar), the book doesn't go into digging the 8ft round 2 ft deep gun pit with an e-tool in PACKED CLAY, and hitting bedrock @ 6 inches down.
    Or in loose sand or ash (Mt Fuji), and every round down the tube caves in the side walls.
    Or ice and snow.

The book will give you the DUTIES, but not the life of a mortar man (machinegunner, assaultman...)

I'm guilty of making them do it Corporal

Quote Originally Posted by mrbsox
    ...cause (some of us ) CLEAN THEIR CLOCK for taking the easy way, instead of a little effort in research.

From the point of BOOK SMART (after basic research), then digging into the real life of an 0331 with questions.

As an 0341 (81 Mortar), the book doesn't go into digging the 8ft round 2 ft deep gun pit with an e-tool in PACKED CLAY, and hitting bedrock @ 6 inches down.
    Or in loose sand or ash (Mt Fuji), and every round down the tube caves in the side walls.
    Or ice and snow.

The book will give you the DUTIES, but not the life of a mortar man (machinegunner, assaultman...)

I'm guilty of making them do it Corporal
    Well If it bothers you, then stop reading the questions. Anybody can look up info, and Im willing to bet most wannabes allready have. I remember feeling like I couldnt get the straight scoop form the official type sources. Its not taking the easy way its the right way. Most of these kids wouldnt know what to make of the info even if it was right in their face. They have never experienced it first hand so it is foriegn and strange. Thats what rules about these forums is that us BTDTs can break it down barney style for them.

My two cents....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Shoot skillets I agree to a point.... a poolee is asking questions to try and by-pass the suger coated dry read of wikepedia, and should be answered with a real life experience. The down and dirty version also involves personal boo hoo hoo experiences that may or may not apply. Research on the net + asking questions here is a win win situation. Leaving one or the other out and a lad might only get half the picture.

Reading through this whole thread I noticed one kid interested in the M-249 and started researching 0331..... 0331 generally carry much bigger guns than a SAW. The SAW is a basic infantrymans machine gun, as the M-203 is the basic infantry mortar. You don't need a specific MOS to carry a SAW or an M-203 and reguardless of what MOS you end up with you will be trained on the maintenance and employmet of both along with many other weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker
    Shoot skillets I agree to a point.... a poolee is asking questions to try and by-pass the suger coated dry read of wikepedia, and should be answered with a real life experience. The down and dirty version also involves personal boo hoo hoo experiences that may or may not apply. Research on the net + asking questions here is a win win situation. Leaving one or the other out and a lad might only get half the picture.

Reading through this whole thread I noticed one kid interested in the M-249 and started researching 0331..... 0331 generally carry much bigger guns than a SAW. The SAW is a basic infantrymans machine gun, as the M-203 is the basic infantry mortar. You don't need a specific MOS to carry a SAW or an M-203 and reguardless of what MOS you end up with you will be trained on the maintenance and employmet of both along with many other weapons.
    I agree. Were here to pass on knowlege, not chastise an ignorant person for asking questions. I asked about a million questions when I was a boot, and awnsered those same questions when it was my turn. If wikipedia and google had all the awnsers why is this site here?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Shoot .... I almost high-jacked another thread. Skillets if we get into a two way conversation that is way off track of the original post I swear to just send you a PM. I had just typed up a long winded response that had nothing to do with the question asked and then realized what I had done and hit the back button. Poolees ask away and me and skillets will keep our conversations out of it.

Thread Information