Andy Kim wrote letters before being killed in war
Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Many of you will remember the stories in The Ann Arbor News about the death of Andy Kim, a Pioneer High School graduate who died fighting in Iraq just a few days past his 20th birthday.

The other day, the Marines sent the Kims the last of Andy's possessions, including some clothes, books, journals and other personal items. Included were some letters he'd written on his computer just in case he didn't make it home.

Some were intended for a specific person. The following was one addressed to everyone else whose life had touched his, to be distributed in the event of his death.

He wrote:

Hello everyone.

I'm sorry that I couldn't write a letter to each of you, I would have liked to but there are just so many of you that have touched my life in your own individual ways.

I'm overwhelmed by how many of you spent hours of your time helping me, giving me advice, praying for me, spending time with me.

I'm grateful and praise God everyday for placing such people in my life.

I hope that all of you are rejoicing right now. I've

realized here that even the way we deal with death and how we react to it shows how majestic and amazing our God is. ...

You know, life doesn't

really "flash before your eyes,'' at least not for me, when you're about to die like in the

movies, but it's afterwards when all the regrets flow into your minds.

I know it's hard, and it's easier said than done, but life shouldn't be lived with regrets or be taken for granted, down to the smallest things. From ... seeing fields of green grass to going to school to spending time with your family even when you really don't want to, to enjoying every single minute you have with the people around you cause you never know when it'll be the (last).

I can't find the words to say the things that are in my mind. I know that something good will come from all of this even if it can't be seen now.

Thank you for all your prayers. It's really strengthened me and has carried me through all this time. Thank you for giving me the experience to see how powerful prayer really can be.

I hope to see you all soon.

Andy.

"I hope to see you all soon.'' Andy wrote those words, knowing they'd be read only after his death. So he was referring to a reunion in heaven, in a world without war, where love rules.

On Sept. 11, Brian D. Sweeney of Massachusetts was aboard United Airlines Flight 175 when he left his wife a message on the answering machine: "Hopefully I'll talk to you again, but if not, have a good life. I know I'll see you again some day.''

Many people would dismiss this kind of talk as nothing more than fantasy. They believe this life is all we get and that Andy Kim and Brian Sweeney will never be seen again.

It's the great debate with each side absolutely sure of themselves, yet unable to prove it.

I side with Andy. I believe his friends will see him again. It may be 60 or 70 years. But if you believe we have immortal souls, then compared to eternity, that's soon.

No matter what one

believes about the hereafter, this much is true: This too, shall pass.

The fun times at the beach with your family? They'll pass. Your youthful good looks? Temporary.

Financial struggles? Winter? Friendship? Geometry? Jealousy? Asthma? Savor it or endure it or ignore it. In any case, it'll pass. And then eventually, so will we.

Far from being a morbid thought, the realization that life is one fleeting thing after another until it ends as we know it is to my mind exhilarating.

If you remember that now is the time, you use the good china and say what needs to be said, you stay strong and keep your perspective.

You do as Lance Cpl. Andy Kim said: You pay attention, and take nothing for granted.

Jo Mathis can be reached at jmathis@annarbornews.com or 734-994-6849.