Reservist Stations
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Reservist Stations

First of all, let me just say I am joining the Marine Corps Reserves and have some questions. Yes I know I should contact my recruiter but I can't get a hold of him.

I am going to attend college in Brian (aka College Station), TX. I'm trying to do an 0311 contract, but I can't seem to find any Infantry training stations anywhere near the city. I did find this, in Austin, TX:

Austin

Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Marines, 4thMarDiv

Now I don't exactly know what Weapons Company is, maybe yall could inform me, but I'm worried I may not be able to get an 0311 contract.

Could anyone shine some light on my situation?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CJA
    First of all, let me just say I am joining the Marine Corps Reserves and have some questions. Yes I know I should contact my recruiter but I can't get a hold of him.

I am going to attend college in Brian (aka College Station), TX. I'm trying to do an 0311 contract, but I can't seem to find any Infantry training stations anywhere near the city. I did find this, in Austin, TX:

Austin

Weapons Company, 1st Battalion, 23rd Marines, 4thMarDiv

Now I don't exactly know what Weapons Company is, maybe yall could inform me, but I'm worried I may not be able to get an 0311 contract.

Could anyone shine some light on my situation?

Thanks

Weapons company is where the Marines who opperate the bigger crew served weapons go Like the 81mm mortar, 50cal M2, TOW missles ect... In Iraq, they will become "MAP" platoons and drive arround in humvees all the time

You will not be an 0311, but its not bad. Its still the infantry. Most weapons Marines are very very proud of their MOS.

Funny, I always thought it was Bryan, but that is another story.

The reserve units work a little different. All the TOW gunners are in Oklahoma, so that won't be your eventual MOS either. Looks like your best bet is to be a machine gunner. You'll have a good time with that, and you will get to ride quite often.

when you do drills you get paid to travel go for what you want man

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Killer, are you saying that I could pretty much take any MOS and they'd fly me out to a reservist station? Or am I assuming too much?

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Funny, I always thought it was Bryan, but that is another story.

The reserve units work a little different. All the TOW gunners are in Oklahoma, so that won't be your eventual MOS either. Looks like your best bet is to be a machine gunner. You'll have a good time with that, and you will get to ride quite often.
    I will get to ride in what? Humvee's?

Quote Originally Posted by CJA
    I will get to ride in what? Humvee's?
    No you get to ride segways...

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Hahaha the new wave of Marine Infantry huh

Yes, weapons co. tends to spend much more time mounted than in days gone by.

When I did my short stint in the reserves, they did not pay for travel costs. They did pay for lodging near the reserve center is lived more than 50 miles away.

Question.. Is there a way to see all the reservist stations that have my mos?

Quote Originally Posted by killerinstinct
    when you do drills you get paid to travel go for what you want man
    haha thats funny....i drive three hours and back to drill every month and I dont see an extra dime.

It used to be in the reserve guidebook. I don't know if it still is or not.

LoCapitano, the only thing I know about as far as browsing Reserve Units is at http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/Units/ I think it's by location, though.

As for getting flown to your reserve unit...I really doubt they'd go for that. The rule is, you have to be within 100 miles of the station, unless you have a waiver. If you live more than 50 miles away, you'll get reimbursed for travel, and can get billeting(a hotel room), but I'd be willing to be money you won't get reiumbursed for a plane ticket.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Yeah, I will have to find out what I'm going to be able to do.

Is anyone on these boards a reservist? How do you like it?

I'm a Reservist. It's great.

Thread Information