Troubles w/ Running - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User Free Member ktriplett's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I run religiously. I feel like I've committed a sin if I miss a run. When I first started, I couldn't go half a mile without falling over short of breath. But with a bit of elbow (or maybe knee??) grease and sweat, I pushed past it and now I run 6-7 miles at a hard pace and can keep my breathing conversational throughout the run. My trick is to start out with controlled breathing and keep it that way. As stated above, you can try breathing with your steps. One way I keep my breathing in step is to repeat some cadences, or say my general orders, or sing the Marine's hymn (not only a good way to control breathing, but also a good way to remember your knowledge). For me, a line is a deep, slow inhale, a slow exhale and a deep, slow inhale. Works like a charm.

Remebering the breathing, another thing that works when yer first starting out, is to run fer a hundred paces and walk (fast pace walk)for a hundred paces. Build it up every day, two hundred paces, then three hundred paces, then more. Sprints help. 100 yard, two hundred yard, four hundred yard, then back down, four hundred yard, two hundred yard, then one hundred yard. Take 60 seconds between sprints, then run a mile. Remember to warm up before and cool off after. i.e. walk it off fer about a mile. The next day, do yer distance work, then go back to the sprints the following day. The day ya do yer distance work you might consider soem weights. Overall conditioning helps yer run.

But I already said all that somewhere else on this forum!

Thread Information