Troubles w/ Running
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Troubles w/ Running

Well I did my first IST on Saturday and everything was super except the run. 1.5mi in *shudders, vomits, gags* 13:40. It's not leg strength, but instead I have a hard time with my breathing...it's like my legs are telling me "This is a good pace", but I keep on getting ahead of my breath. I run as much as I can, whenever I can, but no matter what it always ends up being a horrible experience. What can I do?

-a sore pup

I believe you already know the answer to your problem.

It Is In The BREATHING!

Try using your pace tied in with your breathing. Every 2nd or 3rd step Inhale. Every other Exhale.

You'll get it. Keep trying. DON'T GIVE UP!

Lightbulb

Get into a rhythm and keep it, I used 2 inhales and one exhale and it always worked for me. You'd be surprised what you can do when you let your mind go somewhere else. It's one reason for singing cadence when you run. You are not paying attention to running you are singing. Plus it's an added cardio workout. Memorize some running cadence and "sing" it in your mind.
    You'd be surprised at the outcome. You may want to add some sprints into your running. Sprint for 100 yards walk back to the start sprint 100 yards..walk back...get the idea...do it as many times as you can.

Registered User Free Member Barrio_rat's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Unfortunately, the only way to improve your running is by running. Make sure you have good shoes - no, good shoes do not run 20 bucks at the payless shoe store... they run 50 for the cheap ones and upwards of 80 to 150 for the ones that won't ruin your feet. Buy a pair of these for going to Boot Camp - your feet will thank you later. As for the breathing, JAM pretty well has it - Keep running until it all works out. Ya might slow down a bit at first to keep your breathing up with your pace... then increase your pace as you go. If nothing else, Boot Camp will get up to speed. (no pun intended)

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Re: Troubles w/ Running

Originally posted by artemis2003
    1.5mi in *shudders, vomits, gags* 13:40. It's not leg strength, but instead I have a hard time with my breathing...it's like my legs are telling me "This is a good pace", but I keep on getting ahead of my breath.
    -a sore pup
    Hey Bud,

I understand. Two years ago, while sitting in my pickup at a red light some drunk driver slamed into the back of my rig doing between 50 to 55 mph. As a result I suffered a bad brain injury. Learning to run again, on the trend mill, has been difficult. Getting my breathing insinc with my running. It wasn't until I remember from my boot camp days, at that fancy resort known as Parris Island, to run in step with the others.

At the gym where I work out, I finally found a couple of runners who's "steps" I listen to while I run. I drown out all other noises and just pay attention to their foot steps hitting the trend mill. I run "in-step" with them. My breathing issues seem to lessen and lessen over time. Today, I'm running a comfortable 6.5 minute mile. ooooh RAHHHHH!

Hope it can work for you.

Semper Fi
    JChristin

???????WHAT???????

Running Shoes?

Running Shoes?

You gotta be "Blowing Smoke Up Me A$$"!

Running Shoes?

When did MCRD go from Combat Boots to "Running Shoes"?

OMG

Good Luck to ya!

Registered User Free Member leroy8541's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The new softer side, we wear them in the grunts too, sometimes.

Phoenix Rogue
    Guest Free Member
    Running Shoes?
    Doen't seem like a USMC thing for them to allow that in boot camp, but if they do, Ill keep it in mind.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Artemis2003,
    I don't know if this pertains but it is somewhat related.
    Back in the late sixties I used to jog quite a bit with a fellow who was involved in a study that was trying to determine the ideal pace for jogging, short or long distances. Breathing was always a part of the total equation. It was determined that the best pace to run, with a partner, was the pace where you could carry on an understandable conversation with your partner without getting winded. Easier said than done. Rhythm, which has been brought up before is the key. Running, jogging on the beach in fair or foul weather, if you are near one, really increases your durability and stamina. If you can do some road work with a boxer you'll be running forward, backward, sideways, with sprints and wind downs. Run in an area that you enjoy. Some runners are oval trackers some are cross-country. Choose your style and use it to build yourself up and above all..DON'T WAIT ON YOUR FRIENDS OR ANYONE ELSE TO RUN WITH YOU. Ultimately, you are going to have to do this yourself. You will and you will get better and better. Good Luck to you. Now, go off and start running while I have a beer.
    Adios from South Florida.
    Respectfully,
    Gary

Oh how we coddle the young.

My advice---buy a pair of combat boots. Remember, that is what you will be living in. Get heavy padded socks.
    Put them on, run till you puke, then run some more.

Work at it! If it comes easy you're not working at it!

Good luck on getting it down. Run, Puke, Run!

Registered User Free Member jtresid's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    first concentrate on breathing, I used in for 4 steps out for 4 steps but everyone has their own "special" way of coping. once you get your breathing down the trick is to take your mind off the run. the trick I used for that also helped me study for the meritorious (sp?) boards that came up, was to quiz myself on knowledge and MOS (not always my own) trivia. If you can remember Marine Corps knowledge and trivia while your heart is trying to escape from your chest and your chow is trying to come up for air, your bearing will be just fine in front of the Boards

USMCFOREVER
    Guest Free Member
    Man did I hate running...up till about a month ago I couldnt even pass the IST run. Now I'm finally getting my time down(around 11 minutes). My trick is when running alone sing to yourself, and when running the d*mn IST start slow and stay with the last guy, then slowly move up to whoever is in the lead. I got finished 3rd this way. But then again, competition is what really gets me motivated

Registered User Free Member JChristin's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Just before being sent to Parris Island Resort for boot, I would run all day long. My best friend from college told me to first learn the 11 general orders while running. I use to be running down busy streets singing out loud those 11 general orders. Can still remember General Order #2. For some reason, I couldn't remember that one to save my a$$. It must of taken me a good 5 or 6 weeks to remember that one general order. But like I said, I was running all day, so I had a lot of time to remember. But most of all, it helped to regulate my breathing and improve my performance.

It saved my behind on the running too. Not having to learn and struggle with having to memorize those 11 general orders saved a lot of frustration during boot too.

Uhmm, think I should use those 11 generals today. Good ideal. Thanks for the idea.

Semper fi
    JChristin

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I too had a problem with running. (Main word is HAD.) I couldn't go for more than a mile without feeling a clenching pain in my side. Doctors told me it was a growing pain, an un-stretched muscle, and even a tumor! (Thankfuly, those all proved to be wrong. The last thing I needed was to over stretch myself, wait a decade, or have surgery for no reason.) It turns out that my breathing was off pace with my steps. With the help of my exceptionaly motivative Marine Instructor, I had myself running 4 miles in one summer. All I had to do was change my breathing, and shorten my steps. (I breathed in for the first two steps, and out on the third.) But I can't say it's all thanks to my Instructor. I also must say that seeing my 12 year old brother outrun me on a mile sprint kind of boosted my determination.

The Marine orps has a recommended fitness program for kids goin to MCRD. I pretty sure I posted the link around here somewhere......

It turns out that it invloves some sweat and effort.

While you folks are out sweatin', I'm gonna kick back and have a smoke and a cup of coffee!

My knees won't let me run anymore! LOL

Thread Information