Question on the ease of Lateral Movement and Reserve Drill Scheduling
Create Post

Question on the ease of Lateral Movement and Reserve Drill Scheduling

Good Evening Marines,

This is my first post on the site, so please bear with me. If this question has already been asked I'd love to be pointed in the right direction; if I violate any protocol just set me right.

I'm currently on the edge of enlistment and a ship date in the summer and I just had some quick questions to get out of the way before I made my final decision (I'm currently in college and will be looking at a reserve enlistment).

From the moment I discovered that I was an idealist who believed in public service and civic duty (and that if i was going to serve i was going to serve hard) I've had my sights set on becoming an 0861 fire support man. Since then I've learned that the artillery unit near where I live has been disbanded. As a result the only jobs my recruiter could offer me for this summer were limited to landing support jobs, radioman, and infantry (my pick of the 3 either being infantry or radioman).

Now in a couple of years I'll be transferring to the University, probably somewhere in the Southern California area. I believe there are a few Artillery units based down there. My first question is, how easy would it be for me to lateral move from being an 0311 to an 0861? Is it based on openings? My recruiter told me that if I did move down south a reserve unit would HAVE to pick me up, but would I get to choose the Arty unit? and would they necessarily send me to arty school or would they have the option to keep me as a rifleman? (sorry if that last bit made no sense).

I've heard that it's really tough to transfer and that it's hard to get the job you want, especially if you're lat moving. My recruiter made it sound like i would be guaranteed the MOS easy peasy. With two diff responses I thought I would try to get the input of all you guys out there to help shed some light on this.

My second question on drill scheduling goes like this. Say I wanted to study abroad for a semester. Would I be able to come back and make up the missed drill periods? Or is drill scheduling for the most part out of my hands?

and I guess that leads to another question--could I drill more than once a month? As you can see I could definitely use some knowledge on how the system works.

well thanks for your time,

josh

Lat moves because of a move while a Reservist are doable. However, I want you to look at this a little differently. If you enlist and become an 0311, you are trained as an infantryman because the Corps needs a reserve infantryman. They will spend thousands of dollars training you to fill that slot. Now, just a year or two later, you are planning on moving to a location that doesn't have 0311's, but has artillery. Don't you think that is a little dishonest on your part? Maybe just bit selfish to expect the Marine Corps to train you in a job you do not intend to keep? I know I think it is.

Also, consider that you will miss a good bit of school while learning to be a Marine infantryman. You won't just become an artillery Marine, you will be on active duty again to learn your new job.

If I could make the decision for you, there would be two options. First, wait until you get to the University where you can be an infantryman. Until then, concentrate on school. Second, become an 0621, because just about every unit needs people to talk on the radio. You canmove to your new location and just continue with you job, no problems.

Wow thanks for the quick reply.

That does put it in a different light.

It definitely would be and was my first choice to wait it out until I could get the MOS I intended to keep.

Not too long ago though, after I heard I couldnt do arty, my recruiter was trying every trick in his book to get me to sign one way or the other. Car sales analogies (it might not be what you were looking for, but they dont always have your car on the lot) or telling me that I can get what I want only sometimes you gotta start somewhere else. I guess the usual recruiter talk to keep me from walking out of the office.

Running with that i didnt for a second stop to think to see it like you did.

And I'm not going to put it squarely on him. I guess I've been getting a little restless lately too.

Anyhow I'm big on respect, and I'm as selfless as they come. This might be the weight that clinches my decision to wait it out.

thanks for serving it straight up, echo four bravo
    i owe you one

Oh but another thing

where you say:

"Now, just a year or two later, you are planning on moving to a location that doesn't have 0311's, but has artillery. Don't you think that is a little dishonest on your part? Maybe just bit selfish to expect the Marine Corps to train you in a job you do not intend to keep? I know I think it is."

Just to be clear,

my RECRUITER suggested that course of action to me. After I heard I couldnt do arty all that was going on in my head was alright, I'm out of here. I even said I'd wait until I was in the LA area and sign up as an 0861 there. But he planted the 0311 seeds and wouldnt give up. leave it to the Corps

I only say this cause I get real sensitive whenever my character is in question. It aint easy being the nice guy, yanno with finishing last and all. So ill be damned if anyone suggests otherwise about me.
    thanks and have a nice day

iam wondering, where in the heck did my posts go?

im wondering the same thing... this thread is pretty much done. the tarantula post disappeared too. i liked that one

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningGlory
    Good Evening Marines,

This is my first post on the site, so please bear with me. If this question has already been asked I'd love to be pointed in the right direction; if I violate any protocol just set me right.

I'm currently on the edge of enlistment and a ship date in the summer and I just had some quick questions to get out of the way before I made my final decision (I'm currently in college and will be looking at a reserve enlistment).

From the moment I discovered that I was an idealist who believed in public service and civic duty (and that if i was going to serve i was going to serve hard) I've had my sights set on becoming an 0861 fire support man. Since then I've learned that the artillery unit near where I live has been disbanded. As a result the only jobs my recruiter could offer me for this summer were limited to landing support jobs, radioman, and infantry (my pick of the 3 either being infantry or radioman).

Now in a couple of years I'll be transferring to the University, probably somewhere in the Southern California area. I believe there are a few Artillery units based down there. My first question is, how easy would it be for me to lateral move from being an 0311 to an 0861? Is it based on openings? My recruiter told me that if I did move down south a reserve unit would HAVE to pick me up, but would I get to choose the Arty unit? and would they necessarily send me to arty school or would they have the option to keep me as a rifleman? (sorry if that last bit made no sense).

I've heard that it's really tough to transfer and that it's hard to get the job you want, especially if you're lat moving. My recruiter made it sound like i would be guaranteed the MOS easy peasy. With two diff responses I thought I would try to get the input of all you guys out there to help shed some light on this.

My second question on drill scheduling goes like this. Say I wanted to study abroad for a semester. Would I be able to come back and make up the missed drill periods? Or is drill scheduling for the most part out of my hands?

and I guess that leads to another question--could I drill more than once a month? As you can see I could definitely use some knowledge on how the system works.

well thanks for your time,

josh

First of all you are asking the wrong people these questions. You need to be talking to your recruiter about this. His job is to have total knowledge in these subjects.

If you want to "serve hard" then go in the infantry. Once you do that then it is doubtful you will want to switch to arty. What is it about artillary that appeals to you?

You will get your time "abroad" in the reserves during your two weeks in the summer. Most units will usually get the chance to train and take a little time off abroad during their summer training. One of our units here on the east coast is going to Austrailia this summer.

What are you going to school to study? What do you hope to do with that? Why is that important to you?

I want you to talk to your recruiter on Monday morning and then report back here with what he says. How does that sound to you? Good.

Hey thanks for replying CplBrooks,

the forums went wacky a couple weeks ago and alot of the posts that were on this thread disappeared for some reason. I have since received the answers to my questions. As for my being bent on fire support, I had some high-speed low drag dreams of my own, and i heard that the 0861 mos is a good ticket to ANGLICO.

Yeah, my education is important to me but since I first posted this last month I have already met with my recuiter and decided on an active duty enlistment. Those 4 years will no doubt fly by, and i could still get some classes in on my own time to work toward transfer to uni after my EAS.

I hope to study history with a minor in philosophy. It's a subject i've loved ever since I was a kid, and I'm one to believe that knowledge is power. Hell, our President majored in history! not to mention JFK and a host of others.

I realize that it was my recruiter's job to have total knowledge in those areas, but i thought i could benefit from the input of other Marines out there, if only to hear what the community had to say. Many of the posts helped me to see my situation in ways I probably would not have thought to look on my own. So thanks.

josh

P.S. Now what happened to that Tarantula/Pendleton thread????

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MorningGlory
    I realize that it was my recruiter's job to have total knowledge in those areas, but i thought i could benefit from the input of other Marines out there, if only to hear what the community had to say. Many of the posts helped me to see my situation in ways I probably would not have thought to look on my own.
    Another satisfied customer.................

Quote Originally Posted by Marine84
    Another satisfied customer.................
    LOL i was thinking wow its a different person to understand the twisted and perverted ways of Marines. but ya know what im talking bout dont ya 84?

Thread Information