MV-22 Ospreys... - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    i see a few of em from time to time here at Cherry Point

and while over in iraq we will beginning the transition to using them in country

I welcome them with open arms.

Yes all of our squadrons are in MCAS New River... and they should be deployed by the end of this year if i'm not mistaken...

They had some problems with the CH-53 and the AV-8 but not near as many as the V-22. If they fixed the problems that is good, but they should have been fixed in testing. We rush to get this stuff to the fleet and they kill Marines. They need to look at this system!!!

The V-22 is a valuable asset in theory. I.E. rapid transport, indefinite range (with aerial refueling) and higher airspeeds vs. traditional rotor aircraft. BUT, from my experience waiting for a section of 22's in the W-122 and having only one show up after multiple slides/aircraft changes, maintenance issues, it still has quite a few issues that need to be worked out. For instance, the generator failure is a seemingly common gripe. Also, the engines are basically INOP at or above 15,000 ft. Another thing that would've made it better would be some kind of pressurization system, so that on long hauls the aircraft can climb higher and get better range, without the use of oxygen for the crew/pax. I also hear of hydraulics issues, specifically in the transition from "helo mode" to "airplane mode" where the gearboxes or hydraulic motors are eating them selves up and failing. I guess what I'm saying is it still needs work for it to be a no **** irreplaceable aircraft that will last 50+ years. The idea for the whole thing is mind boggling, and pretty sweet. But I think it will take another 15 years to get all the kinks worked out to be a fully functional consistent 90% combat ready aircraft.

after the intial problems and crashes they totally redesigned the engine systems and some of the control systems.....

since then it has become almost like a whole new animal. it just that there are big players out there that dont want to see this succeed and dont want this contract to go through.

It may not be perfect, but honestly with matinence just like any other aircraft/machine it will be fine with capable pilots that have good training time.

but thats my 3.5 cents

Thread Information