age limit
Create Post

Thread: age limit

age limit

hey gang hope all is well with all! question
    max age of reserve enlistment?
    joined 83-87 2 yrs IR just turned 42 good shape no issues there
    do i got a shot? never have gotten over leaving the Corps in the first Dam place, any response taken,
    Semper Fi

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    http://usmilitary.about.com/od/joini...lstandards.htm

One would think that age would be a simple category. One is either old enough, or too old, right? Unfortunately, it doesn't quite work that way. By federal law (10 U.S.C., 505), the minimum age for enlistment in the United States Military is 17 (with parental consent) and the maximum age is 35 (Note: Congress changed this to age 42 in 2006). However, DOD policy allows the individual services to specify the maximum age of enlistment based upon their own unique requirements. The individual services have set the following maximum ages for non-prior service enlistment:
    • Active Army - 42
      Army Reserves - 42
      Active Air Force - 27
      Air Force Reserve - 34
      Active Navy - 34
      Naval Reserves - 39
      Active Marines - 28
      Marine Corps Reserve - 29
      Active and Reserve Coast Guard - 27
    However, prior service enlistees can receive an "age waiver." In most cases, the amount of age that can be waived depends upon the amount of time the individual previously spent in the military. For example, let's say that an individual has four years of credible military service in the Marine Corps and wants to join the Air Force. The Air Force could waive the individual's maximum enlistment age to age 31 (Maximum age of 27 for the Air Force, plus four years credible service in the Marines). For the Marine Corps, the maximum age of enlistment for prior service is 32, after computing the prior-service age adjustment. For the Army National Guard, the maximum age for non-prior service enlistment is age 39. For the Air National Guard, it's 34. For prior service, the maximum age is 59, as long as the member is able to complete 20 years of creditable service for retirement by age 60.

42-29= 13 You might have a shot...call a prior service recruiter. From what I'm reading most Marines are getting better chance in the guard.

thanks Phantom for the info

Just went through this myself. Takes about a year.... yes, a year. I met with the prior service recruiter Jun 2006 - physcial in Aug 2006 - wiavers submitted to HQMC and heard back in Apr 2007. The answer was thanks but no thanks. I was in your shoes as well - reserves from 82-86 and I was 42. Give it a shot because you'll just beat yourself up wondering "what if". I have no regrets and would do it again.

S/F

Thread Information