Air Force Combat Action Medal
Create Post

Air Force Combat Action Medal

The Air Force just released there criteria for there new Combat Action Medal. Here ist the link. I never was in the Air Force, but I like the idea of the Airmen, and Women getting a award for being in combat. It sets them above to a higher standard, among there fellow Airmen who have never been in combat. And another service member Marine, Solider, Sailor can look at them and say well at least you were there with the rest of us.

http://www.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123039084

Retroative

They havent said yet but I wonder if they will retroactive it back to ealier wars. Like WWII, KOREA, VEITNAM. Will be interesting none the less.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Knowing the Air Force, having spent 14 years in the Air Guard, probably just being in hearing range of gun/mortar/rocket/IED fire will qualify AF people for that award. The standards as described in the article are pretty vague. If the award of a medal can be cheapened in any way, Air Force people will find that way.

The article linked said the medal was retro back to 9/11/2001 only (so far) and must be applied for.

In Vietnam, I was in VMA-211. We were rocketed and mortared fairly regularly over a nine month period. However, only four or five of us qualified for the CAR, and I was one of them (and not for the indirect fire). Under today's standards, a lot more of the squadron would likely qualify.

Since Marine Corps standards tend to be tougher than other branches, I can see the AFCAM being pretty freely given. I also note that aircrew can get the AFCAM. If I'm not mistaken, any Navy/Marine aircrew who can get a flight/strike Air Medal for a particular action, cannot get the CAR.

IF, they make the AFCAM retro to Desert Storm, I'm going to try and apply for it using the times I led my troops on security response incidents and see what happens. By rights I should not get one as we did not take or give fire. But who knows.

Quote Originally Posted by Zulu 36
    Knowing the Air Force, having spent 14 years in the Air Guard, probably just being in hearing range of gun/mortar/rocket/IED fire will qualify AF people for that award. The standards as described in the article are pretty vague. If the award of a medal can be cheapened in any way, Air Force people will find that way.

The article linked said the medal was retro back to 9/11/2001 only (so far) and must be applied for.

In Vietnam, I was in VMA-211. We were rocketed and mortared fairly regularly over a nine month period. However, only four or five of us qualified for the CAR, and I was one of them (and not for the indirect fire). Under today's standards, a lot more of the squadron would likely qualify.

Since Marine Corps standards tend to be tougher than other branches, I can see the AFCAM being pretty freely given. I also note that aircrew can get the AFCAM. If I'm not mistaken, any Navy/Marine aircrew who can get a flight/strike Air Medal for a particular action, cannot get the CAR.

IF, they make the AFCAM retro to Desert Storm, I'm going to try and apply for it using the times I led my troops on security response incidents and see what happens. By rights I should not get one as we did not take or give fire. But who knows.
    I to was in the Air Force reserves for two years, I have been watching a lot of tv lately and see a lot of military recruiting ads. I have noticed lately that the AF is not so much on airplanes as they are on their special force units,ie: bomb disposal, their counterparts to the Navy seals, insertion teams etc. Maybe these are the units that they are qualifying for the AF CAR think????

Somebody told me that in the Air Force, if you bump elbows with someboby in the chow line, that constitutes 'combat action.'
    drumcorpssnare

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool

WHEN OUR BACON WAS SAVED,BY THE B-52 STRIKE'S(AKA.ARC~LITE);I GUARANTEE YOU,THOSE BOMBER'S WEREN'T FLOWN;BY MARINES! S/F THAT

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drumcorpssnare
    Somebody told me that in the Air Force, if you bump elbows with someboby in the chow line, that constitutes 'combat action.'
    drumcorpssnare
    No, in the Air Force that constitutes "assault and battery."

remember the medal/ribbbon will be personal ribbon? the airman will have to prove his "medal".

I have no problem with this, on the face of it. Recall not too many weeks ago 3 A/F EOD folks KIA trying to disarm an IED. They would dang sure rate it in my book.

FISTFU68______How right you are. For all of you none belevers that think the AF are a bunch of duds, you don't know what you are talking about. Ask any Khe Sanh wets. They tell you about the USAF. They had people on the ground at that time. Ask about the USAF plane drivers of the C-130s the C-119s the 153s. All of these USAF people are heros there plains taking 100's of hits while bringing food ,ammo and taking out wounded. The B-152's droping all of them bombs around Khe Sanh real close. The CO of Khe Sanh had a direct line to Pres. Johnson. Weste was ****ed. If it had been up to Weste the AF would not have drop so close. The fast mover pilots over Honi and the B52s also. They lost of fast movers and B-52's.

ggyoung and fist- Hey guys, I agree. The Air Force does their job, just like all us Leathernecks do ours. Just pokin' a little fun, that's all. No harm meant.
    drumcorpssnare

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Cool

WE KNOW THAT DRUM~HELL I EVEN SHOT AN M-60 AT A USAF~F-105! AFTER HE DROPED A BOMB,AND THEN NAPALMED OUR AZZ(LOL)DAM THOSE JET'S WERE FAST!!!!S/F BROTHER'S

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Coming up with an AFCAM is a fine idea - as long as the issuance to 701s (office pogues) is highly controlled. It never ceased to amaze me how AF Remington Raiders could acquire so many medals and never leave the comfort of their offices. Some of those awards could only have been for "meritorious chow line standing," or "valorious missing of happy hour."

The AFCAM should be restricted to certain "combat arms" of the AF, such as security forces, combat controllers (bad ass guys to be sure), PJs (also a tough bunch), and perhaps combat aircrew (although the strike/flight Air Medal should suffice here). It should be restricted much like the Army's CIB.

This is not an inclusive list. My concern is the award will be cheapened by people who only heard gunfire at a distance and the AF is full of those kind of people.

I would guess most AF personnel never dropped a drum stick while playing their snare drum.

Old Marine- LOL ! Hey, there was a time back in the 60's, when Truman Crawford taught the Air Force Academy Drum & Bugle Corps...and they were very good. He was a M/Sgt. with about 16 yrs. in service.

Then...he saw the light, and crossed over to our beloved Marine Corps. He was the man with the Commandant's Own at 8th & I for many years. When he retired as a Colonel, I believe he had 21 yrs. with the Corps, plus his 16 or so with the Air Force.

Col. Truman Crawford was an outstanding Marine, and just a damn fine person! Sadly, he passed a few years ago, not long after he retired.

Although there are still inter-service competitions between the Drum & Bugle Corps, the Commandant's Own is no longer invited. Why? Because in all the years they DID compete against the Navy, Air Force, and Coast Guard Drum Corps, the Marines never lost. In fact, by comparison, the "other" service drum corps looked terrible! They were sick of us Leathernecks humiliating them!

Ooorah!!! and SEMPER FI

drumcorpssnare

Thread Information