CR-S senior chooses Marines

By KAREN SANGILLO
Bucks County Courier Times

This season will be the last for Council Rock-South senior Alex Darr, who will not continue his swimming career in college.

Darr has accepted a Marine Corps ROTC scholarship.

“It's a lot of work so I wouldn't have time to do that and a sport in college,” said Darr, a team captain. “It's sad and I'll miss swimming, but I've been swimming for 12 years and it's time to move on to the next phase of my life.”

His older sister, Elena, is a senior at Villanova on the same scholarship.

“That's where I saw what a great opportunity it is,” he said. “You get a scholarship, all that training, and when you graduate, you're a commissioned officer in the Marines.”

Darr's first choice is Villanova, but he is also considering Penn State and Notre Dame. He would like to major in engineering.

“There's no way I could do that and swim,” he said.

Darr still has plenty to look forward to in his final high school season.

“We're definitely looking toward the SOL championships, and districts and states after that,” he said. “Our 400 free relay got to states last year and we'd definitely like to do that again.

“Last year we had an incredible season. We're not exactly in a rebuilding year, but we do have a lot of young people and it's exciting to watch them come up through the ranks. It might sound clich, but the progress they've made is inspiring.”

CR-South was undefeated last year, but did not win the SOL Continental Conference title, which went to Souderton.

“That's really become such a good rivalry for us,” Darr said. “It really brings out the best in us.”

Ellie