TBS December 1964; Chu Lai 1965-67 - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Bill..
    info I have says that pic was taken on 4/3/66. I arrived MAG 12 in late Feb 1966... those huts were all the group HQ offices and were there when I got there.

All the living quarters were still tents but were converted over in the months that followed.

S/F
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by BobTate View Post
    I am interested in finding "old timers" who graduated from Quantico TBS in December 1964 or who served in MAG-12 in the early years of Chu Lai. Also, anyone with Chu Lai photos from that timeframe.....
    I was a GCA and Tower controller with MATCU-67, MAG-12 from March 1966 through April 1967. An incredible experience...

Left photo is the Tower (looking east) taken July 1966. The middle photo is me in the Tower. The photo was taken for the "Sea Tiger" newspaper by a Marine photographer and published in the October 1966 issue. The right photo is an A-4 about ready to lift-off at mid-field (4,000'). Note the "Z" trench in the foreground. The Airfield Ops area is beyond the runway.

Semper Fi!
    Ron Stup

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ChuLai ControlTower1966.jpg‎
Views:	468
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	8882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Chu Lai tower 1966 e-mail.jpg‎
Views:	444
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	8883   Click image for larger version

Name:	A4 depart14.jpg‎
Views:	356
Size:	16.1 KB
ID:	8884  

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I made the landing in 1965 off of the USS Windam County (LST 1167) thru the surf. I was with the Ordnance section of MABS-12. We came in from Okinawa out of Iwakuni Japan. We operated the bomb dump south of the airfield and lived in tents. I was a Corporal, E-4 with nine years in the Corps and supervised the ammo off loading from the AKAs to the beach with "peter boats". I left Chu Lai in November of that year on emergency leave due to my father dying of lung cancer. Returned to RVN 1967 from Iwakumi to fly with VMGR-1 on nite flare missions. We provided the nite light for operations. Left CONUS in 1970 for RVN again to Marble Mountain, where I was the NCOIC of the Ordnance section of HML-167 and flew many missions as a door gunner, port side on gunships. Pics are someplace, no clue. I do remember an Amtrac getting stuck in the river bed during the monsoon season in '65. At the time, it felt like I'd been there forever as everything else was just a dim memory.

1st MAW, MAG-12,MABS-12

Fm: Cpl. John Tate, Chu Lai, R V N, 65-66

Because of P T S D and T B I, I have lost most of my memory of the time
    I spend "in country" and am trying to find anyone that was there at the
    same time I was ! ! ! ! So any info/pics, etc. would help a lot ! ! ! !
    I was in the Comm. section, also spent 30 days on guard duty on the flight line, also 30 days on "body bag" duty.That's about all I remember,
    so anyone that was there that can help fill in the blanks or knows anyone
    that was in my unit, I would appreciate the help ! ! ! !

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I was in the bomb dump where we assembled bombs, belted 20mm ammo and put together napalm bombs for old Ho Chi Min especially on his birthday. We put some quite interesting "stuff" in the 1000 lb napalm bombs as nails, glass, the locking rims from 55 gal drums etc for ****s and giggles. Nothing was too good for him. Didn't get around too much except for the delivering of munitions to the flight line. I think we only made the chow hall (after it was built) four or five times as we just didn't have the time. Same for R&R, never made it. I laugh when I read that when we came ashore, that there was a banner claiming the area was "secure". Never saw that one and do remember digging in for our first night. A foxhole in the blow sand was a joke to say the least. Ended up about 15 ft X 3 foot deep and ended up shoring up the walls with Australian pine branches and limbs to keep the walls from collapsing in on us. Spent a lot of my initial days on the beach unloading ammo for the A4s that came in and watched the Sea Bees have running gunfights at night while building the temp field. They had to inject asphalt into the blowsand to stabalize it for the aluminum matting to be placed on. Also watched an A4 loaded with ordnance get blown off the strip while taking off due to the fact that the JATO bottles used had different cants on the nozzles ie: 15* on one side and 45* on the other. Also remember the night the sappers hit the flight line. We could hear, but not see. I simply took my M-14 and went "hunting" in the dark. Being an "old country boy" I could handle the night. Hope this helps. It's been a long time ago and I don't wish to go there. I did end up with a Navy Comm with Combat V and several other pieces of "pogy bait' all of which, if placed on a bar with $2.50 will get me a draft beer. Retired back in Oct of '76 after 22 years as a Gunnery Sergeant. I was a Gunny and NOT an E-7!! That just happened to be my paygrade. Also flew over 127 combat missions in C-130s with VMGR 152 out of Danang and even more with HML-167 back in '70-71 out of Marble Mountain as a door gunner. Happy Turkey Day to my USMC mates. PS: the Easter Bunny is dead as we shot that sucker at Chu Lai back in 1965.

Holy cow, Ron, I was there at the same time! I was mostly a sandbag filler and group guard guy until the last half, then I was a GCA controller. I have to tell you, I'm embarrassed that I don't remember you.

Chuck,

I think I do remember your name. I was in the GCA trailer for about a month or so (March-April 1966) then moved to the Control Tower. I was probably in the tower by the time you arrived. I got promoted to Sergeant the first of September 1966. I loved being in the Tower working the traffic. It was loud, fast, and exciting. I'm still flying airplanes as a private pilot. I guess I got addicted to the action.

The photos are the MATCU-67 hut, the GCA Trailers (from the Tower), and the bunker at the west side of the surveillance radar antenna. I remember guard duty in that rat infested bunker. It was the only hole on the perimeter with a roof which made it seem luxurious when on guard duty at night during the monsoon.

Hope your doing well,

Ron Stup

Name:	MATCU67Hut-front.jpg‎
Views:	304
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	8944   Click image for larger version

Name:	GCA trailers.jpg‎
Views:	318
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	8945   Click image for larger version

Name:	CoveredFoxhole.jpg‎
Views:	309
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	8946  

Thanks Ron! If you run across any more, please post them.

Does anyone the name of the CO in 1965 for AMbs12, Mag12? fIRST sGT sHIELDS WAS THE TOP NCO. I was trying to remember the other officers & NCO's I remember a Sgt Ellenberg, but not even sure if he is still alive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mathews View Post
    The only question was when this was taken, because the huts in the back ground were not there in my tour. We where all still in tents. But second from right sitting & standing may have been the MABS 12 Co.
    If this photo you are talking about is the living quarters, the tents were replaced with huts approximately July 1966.

I arrived in Chu Lai March 1966. The enlisted living quarters were all tents at that time. If I had to guess I would say the huts were built around July 66.

I was with H&Ms 12, Mag 12 from 3/66 to 4/67. I was the colonels driver for a while. I asked for another assignment, as it wasn't my thing. Gunny Amico didn't know how to tell the Colonel, but he did. There were no hard feelings. I believe Colonel Hubbard was the CO at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by RobShannon View Post
    I arrived in Chu Lai March 1966. The enlisted living quarters were all tents at that time. If I had to guess I would say the huts were built around July 66.
    I think you're about right about the time the huts appeared. I remember filling sandbags to put on the corrugated metal roofs to keep them from flying off during the monsoon season.
    This is the ATC tent on the west side of the runway, behind the control tower, before huts.

Name:	ControlTowerTent.jpg‎
Views:	352
Size:	18.8 KB
ID:	9031  

Joined you from MATCU 66

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Renfeld View Post
    I was a radar tech in the gca unit that landed in may of 65. There was no base when we came ashore. I have pictures taken in the fall of 65 . I was on hand for the first fixed wing landing. I left chu lai in Jan. of 66. I have those pictures on a cd which I could copyand send to you if desired.
    Jerry:

I arrived morning of your amphib landing Via H-34s with 40+ from MATCU 66. Departed for CONUS the last week of 65. I have sent you a private message for contact. Would like to see photos. You will recognize the Gulf behind me on my profile picture. Remember those first intial baths in seawater before the got our cold water showers up?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Mathews View Post
    Does anyone the name of the CO in 1965 for AMbs12, Mag12? fIRST sGT sHIELDS WAS THE TOP NCO. I was trying to remember the other officers & NCO's I remember a Sgt Ellenberg, but not even sure if he is still alive.
    MABS-12 CO on landing in May 65 was LtCol Alexander Wilson. He is still alive and is active in MCAA. Forgotten the COL who was the Group CO. I was a Capt in MATCU 67

Thread Information