Create Post
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast
    yellowwing
    Guest Free Member

Its Official, Hillary: "I'm in..."

Clinton to launch presidential bid

January 20, 2007
    BY BETH FOUHY AND MARC HUMBERT Associated Press

NEW YORK---- Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton embarked on a widely anticipated campaign for the White House on Saturday, a former first lady intent on becoming the first female president. ''I'm in and I'm in to win,'' she said on her Web site.
    Clinton's announcement, days after Sen. Barack Obama shook up the contest race with his bid to become the first black president, establishes the most diverse political field ever.

Clinton is considered the front-runner, with Obama and 2004 vice presidential nominee John Edwards top contenders. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who would be the first Hispanic president, intends to announce his plans on Sunday.

''You know after six years of George Bush, it is time to renew the promise of America,'' Clinton says in a videotaped message in which she invites voters to begin a dialogue with her on the major issues -- health care, Social Security and Medicare, and the war in Iraq.

''I'm not just starting a campaign, though, I'm beginning a conversation with you, with America,'' she said. ''Let's talk. Let's chat. The conversation in Washington has been just a little one-sided lately, don't you think?''
    Clinton, who was re-elected to a second term last November, said she will spend the next two years ''doing everything in my power to limit the damage George W. Bush can do. But only a new president will be able to undo Bush's mistakes and restore our hope and optimism.''

In a defiant statement -- and a nod to questions about her electability -- Clinton said: ''I have never been afraid to stand up for what I believe in or to face down the Republican machine. After nearly $70 million spent against my campaigns in New York and two landslide wins, I can say I know how Washington Republicans think, how they operate, and how to beat them.''

With millions in the bank, a vast network of supporters and top status in nearly every poll of Democratic contenders, Clinton is undertaking the most viable effort by a female candidate to capture the White House.

She is the first presidential spouse to pursue the office; her husband, Bill, served two terms in the White House from 1993-2001.

The announcement was the latest step in a remarkable political and personal journey for the 59-year-old Clinton -- from Arkansas lawyer to first lady to New York senator to front-runner for the Democratic nomination.

A polarizing figure since she burst onto the national scene during her husband's first presidential campaign, Clinton engenders strong opinions among voters, who either revere or revile her but rarely are ambivalent.

She often is compared to her husband and found lacking in his natural charisma. Others have criticized her for being overly cautious and calculating when so many voters say they crave authenticity.

Many Democrats, eager to reclaim the White House after eight years of President Bush, fret that she carries too much baggage from her husband's scandal-plagued presidency to win a general election. Among many voters, she is best known for her disastrous attempt in 1993 to overhaul the nation's health care system and for standing by her husband after his marital infidelity.

Clinton's allies counter by citing her strengths -- intelligence, depth of experience, work ethic and immense command of policy detail. Advisers argue those skills, plus her popularity among women and younger voters, position her strongly as both a primary and general election candidate.

In her first run for the Senate from New York in 2000 -- a state where she had never lived and where she was branded a carpetbagger by many -- Clinton won a landslide victory. Through dogged campaigning -- including a ''listening tour'' of the state's 62 counties -- Clinton was able to convince voters even in the conservative upstate region that she would represent them effectively in Washington.

Clinton's 2002 vote authorizing military force in Iraq has become a significant political challenge. It angered activists who want her to repudiate her vote and aggressively seek to block Bush's proposed troop increase.

She has toughened her criticism of the conduct of the war and Bush's handling of the conflict, and she recently called for capping troop levels in Iraq at around 140,000. She has rejected calls from liberal groups and Edwards to cut off funds for Bush's planned increase in U.S. troops.

God help us..

Ellie

Clinton Launches 2008 White House Bid

Saturday, January 20, 2007

Democratic Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton embarked on a widely anticipated campaign for the White House on Saturday, a former first lady intent on becoming the first female president. "I'm in and I'm in to win," she said on her Web site.

Clinton's announcement, days after Sen. Barack Obama shook up the contest race with his bid to become the first black president, establishes the most diverse political field ever.

Clinton is considered the front-runner, with Obama and 2004 vice presidential nominee John Edwards top contenders. New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson, who would be the first Hispanic president, intends to announce his plans on Sunday.

"You know after six years of George Bush, it is time to renew the promise of America," Clinton says in a videotaped message in which she invites voters to begin a dialogue with her on the major issues _ health care, Social Security and Medicare, and the war in Iraq.

"I'm not just starting a campaign, though, I'm beginning a conversation with you, with America," she said. "Let's talk. Let's chat. The conversation in Washington has been just a little one-sided lately, don't you think?"

Clinton, who was re-elected to a second term last November, said she will spend the next two years "doing everything in my power to limit the damage George W. Bush can do. But only a new president will be able to undo Bush's mistakes and restore our hope and optimism."

In a defiant statement _ and a nod to questions about her electability _ Clinton said: "I have never been afraid to stand up for what I believe in or to face down the Republican machine. After nearly $70 million spent against my campaigns in New York and two landslide wins, I can say I know how Washington Republicans think, how they operate, and how to beat them."

With millions in the bank, a vast network of supporters and top status in nearly every poll of Democratic contenders, Clinton is undertaking the most viable effort by a female candidate to capture the White House. Her creation of a presidential exploratory committee allows her to raise money for the campaign; she already has lined up campaign staff.

She is the first presidential spouse to pursue the office; her husband, Bill, served two terms in the White House from 1993-2001.

The announcement was the latest step in a remarkable political and personal journey for the 59-year-old Clinton _ from Arkansas lawyer to first lady to New York senator to front-runner for the Democratic nomination.

A polarizing figure since she burst onto the national scene during her husband's first presidential campaign, Clinton engenders strong opinions among voters, who either revere or revile her but rarely are ambivalent.

She often is compared to her husband and found lacking in his natural charisma. Others have criticized her for being overly cautious and calculating when so many voters say they crave authenticity.

Many Democrats, eager to reclaim the White House after eight years of President Bush, fret that she carries too much baggage from her husband's scandal-plagued presidency to win a general election. Among many voters, she is best known for her disastrous attempt in 1993 to overhaul the nation's health care system and for standing by her husband after his marital infidelity.

Clinton's allies counter by citing her strengths _ intelligence, depth of experience, work ethic and immense command of policy detail. Advisers argue those skills, plus her popularity among women and younger voters, position her strongly as both a primary and general election candidate.

In her first run for the Senate from New York in 2000 _ a state where she had never lived and where she was branded a carpetbagger by many _ Clinton won a landslide victory. Through dogged campaigning _ including a "listening tour" of the state's 62 counties _ Clinton was able to convince voters even in the conservative upstate region that she would represent them effectively in Washington.

Clinton's 2002 vote authorizing military force in Iraq has become a significant political challenge. It angered activists who want her to repudiate her vote and aggressively seek to block Bush's proposed troop increase.

She has toughened her criticism of the conduct of the war and Bush's handling of the conflict, and she recently called for capping troop levels in Iraq at around 140,000. She has rejected calls from liberal groups and Edwards to cut off funds for Bush's planned increase in U.S. troops.

Clinton grew up in the Chicago suburbs in a conservative Republican household and was a "Goldwater girl" in 1964, supporting conservative icon Barry Goldwater in the presidential race won by Democrat Lyndon B. Johnson.

By 1968, she was a Democrat. After graduating from Wellesley College, she attended law school at Yale where she met her husband, Bill Clinton. In 1974, she worked on the House Judiciary Committee's impeachment investigation of President Nixon before moving to Arkansas where she and Clinton were married in 1975.

An influential player in her husband's political career in Arkansas, she leapt to the national scene during the 1992 presidential campaign when the two fought to survive the scandal over Gennifer Flowers' allegations of a lengthy affair with Clinton when he was the state's governor. The Clintons appeared together on CBS' "60 Minutes" to talk about their marriage _ her first famous "Stand by Your Man" moment.

As first lady, Clinton headed up a disastrous first-term effort to overhaul the health care insurance system. There was more controversy as the couple battled allegations of impropriety over land deals and fundraising, missing records from her former Arkansas law firm and even her quick and hefty profits from an investment in cattle futures.

There was no letup in the second term. The president found himself denying _ then admitting _ having a sexual relationship with White House intern Monica Lewinsky. As he battled impeachment and possible removal from office, his wife's poll numbers rose.

Her own political career began to take shape in late 1998 when New York Democrat Daniel Patrick Moynihan announced he would not seek re-election to the Senate seat he had held since 1976. Within a few weeks, the first lady was being talked up by fellow Democrats as a possible successor for the veteran senator.

On Feb. 12, 1999, the very day the Senate was voting not to remove her husband from office, Clinton met in the White House's family quarters with New York Democrat Harold Ickes, a former Clinton administration deputy chief of staff, to talk about a Senate run.

The campaign trail was not always friendly. For almost every cheer, there was a shouted "Go home, Hillary!" and the emerging Republican theme that carpetbagger Clinton simply wanted to use New York as a launching pad for a later presidential run. She pledged to serve her full six-year Senate term if elected.

In the Senate, Clinton quickly moved to establish herself as someone who could work with Republicans or Democrats, often sponsoring high-profile legislation with GOP colleagues.

Associated Press Writer Marc Humbert reported from Albany, N.Y.

Is there PANICK in the air?

Ellie

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Panic? Not from Ann Coulter's condo. My beloved is jumping for joy.

Ann Coulter -->>

Ann is going to make an easy million in the next two years writing her opinion. Easy as in her style of Minimal Effort-Maximum Mud. The RNC is going to make sure she gets maximum publishing.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing

Ann Coulter -->>

Ann is going to make an easy million in the next two years writing her opinion. Easy as in her style of Minimal Effort-Maximum Mud. The RNC is going to make sure she gets maximum publishing.
    LMAO....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing

Ann Coulter -->>

It doesn't matter. Finding things about Hillary is like shooting fish in a barrel anyway. It doesn't take an Ann Coulter to find them.

I remember when Bill/Hill Clinton were elected co-presidents the first time. Rush Limbaugh stated something to the effect that Clinton's election was a tragedy for the country, but for Rush personally, it meant at least four years of guaranteed material. Rush was right on both counts.

well, if she winis the nomination, the republicans could run a dead monkey and win the election.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HardJedi
    ...the republicans could run a dead monkey and win the election.
    Oh man! That's begging sooo many clever retorts, but I'll bite my tongue

no no! feel free to blast away, after all, if you can't pick on your friends, who CAN you pick on!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HardJedi
    well, if she winis the nomination, the republicans could run a dead monkey and win the election.
    They'd have a hard time finding one that would take the job; and a dead monkey would be an improvement over anyone in the wings of the Repub. party at the moment. And don't underestimate the hildebeast, a lot of people out there love her. Course, a lot of people out there shouldn't be allowed to vote in the first place as they probably couldn't find their a$$ with both hands without gov. assistance!

I believe that after 20 years of Bush-Clinton-Bush White Houses, most Americans do not want to turn the reigns of power over to another Clinton.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I'm really starting to like the idea of a dead monkey!
    Would we have to pay him? Could we get more to run for the House and Senate?

Quote Originally Posted by Kegler300
    I believe that after 20 years of Bush-Clinton-Bush White Houses, most Americans do not want to turn the reigns of power over to another Clinton.
    Good point!

Ellie

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Hillary confronts the Clinton name game
    Mark Coultan, New York
    January 22, 2007

HILLARY Clinton's greatest asset in her run for president is that her name is Clinton. Her greatest liability is that her name is Clinton.

A presidential rollcall that might read Bush, Clinton, Bush, Clinton suggests that US politics has degenerated into tribal warfare, but it has as much to do with modern political marketing and brand loyalty.

In a vast country where candidates spend tens of millions of dollars just to have their name recognised by voters, Senator Hillary Clinton is way out in front of any other candidate.

When her husband first ran for office, she remarked that electing Bill Clinton was a "two for one" deal, with her thrown in for free. The same will apply now that she is running. Many Democrats will welcome having Bill Clinton — whose reputation has, if anything, grown in the past six years — back in the White House.

But with the name comes baggage. Others will do almost anything to get him out of the residence he rented out for political fund-raising. (He charged donors to stay the night at the White House.)

Conservative voters see the years when he was president as an era of moral decay and national trauma, of marital infidelities and impeachment.

Opinion polls show that although Senator Clinton is competitive against any possible Republican candidate, her disapproval rating is above 40 per cent.

And despite her best efforts at reaching out to former political opponents, she remains the most disliked Democrat candidate.

There are dozens of books attacking her, there is virtually a whole industry devoted to destroying her.

It's this that has Democrat powerbrokers worried. Can she convince the so-called red states — the conservative heartland of America — to vote for her?

That's why Barack Obama, the Illinois Democrat senator, is her biggest threat for the Democrat nomination.

He is the new rock star of US politics, a man with bundles of charisma and few negatives. He represents a fresh start and makes Senator Clinton look like a calculating political insider.

In fact, Senator Obama's aura is reminiscent of Bill Clinton. It's he who has forced her to declare her presidential ambitions so early — exactly two years to the day from the inauguration of the next president.

She cannot afford to let him get established as a front-runner, nor gain the fund-raising ability that goes with that.

His greatest asset is that he has been in the Senate for only two years, and so has not yet developed entrenched opposition or a voting record that opponents can use against him.

His greatest liability is that he has been in federal politics for only two years, and has no foreign policy experience.

Senator Clinton's declaration of her candidacy is the most expected announcement in US politics. An open secret for months, it is the inevitable landmark in a process that began when she announced she was running for the Senate in New York. Everything she has done since being elected in 2000 has been aimed at a presidential run. She spent vast amounts of money at November's mid-term elections in an apparent effort to show she could win solid Republican areas of upstate New York.

She has served on the Armed Services Committee in an attempt to develop defence and national security credentials. Her recent opposition to the conduct of the war is likely to be used by Republicans as a sign she is a flip-flopper.

But with George Bush ignoring demands to get out of Iraq, the next election is likely to be decided by which candidate voters think can best get the US out without leaving it exposed to terrorist threats.

Thread Information