Its Official, Hillary: "I'm in..." - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    Much to lose...
    Not disputing you. I fully agree; I was only quoting what I know to be the law. Advocating the violent overthrow of the gov't is tantamount to conspiracy and that is a federal charge.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thzodiac
    Whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends [life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness] it is the right of the people to alter or abolish it, and to institute new government...
    Thomas Jefferson (The Declaration of Independence)
    Playing Devil's Advocate, what are the rights of the Govt to protect itself from 'far flung ideas' or maybe its just a small percentage of folks that are never pleased?

Credits
    Savings
    Off the top of my head, concentration camps ?

Oddly, it only became illegal after 1865. We lost the 2nd revolution and the Constitution died with it. When Jeffersons' principles were exercised, they were crushed by federalism.

hilary?

hilary is aliar just like her hubby.when she ran for reelection ,she promised the ny voters that she would serve out her full term of office.new yorkers believed her.as aresult they only have one senator,because she'll be too busy raising money and bsing the rest of the country as to how great she is.

better govt?

to all those unhappy with the govt,dont you think we should try even harder to make it accountable to us?*****in'is ok but lets get off our butts and do something about it,let's face it as bad as some of you think our govt is,is there abetter one somewhere else?we were given a pretty good start in this country.we allowed the crooks and con artists to take over.get involved get like minded people to join in.lets take back our country.lock and load.

It used to be a long time ago; I've noticed that the attitudes of a large number people seems to be that as long as the gov't doesn't interfere too much in their personal lives, they don't seem to care how much their liberties are limited.

About a 100+ years ago, back before the concept of States' Rights became associated with racial discrimination, the States used to interpose their Sovereignty between the Federal Gov't and their citizens. The States were seen as a vehicle to protect the liberties of the people from the Federal Gov't. In the early days of the Republic no one ever believed the Federal Gov't should be the sole guardian of the people's Liberties and for good reason. When we allowed the Federal Gov't to take on that role they have sought to weaken the Bill of Rights whenever possible.

Examples:
    1. The Free Exercise Clause (1st Amendment) has been completely overshadowed by the Separation of Church and State doctrine, which, as it is currently interpreted goes way beyond the intent of the founders. Today no Federal Court will hear a case concerning the Free Exercise Clause, because under the current interpretation of the Church and State doctrine, the Free Exercise Clause, if interpreted as it should, would undermine much of the Church and State Doctrine.
    2. The Right to Bear Arms (2nd Amendment) is being re-interpreted by gun-control proponents in an effort to take our guns and rifles away from honest citizens, by claiming that the Right to Bears was only ever intended to apply to the militias.
    3. Iminent Domain originally intended to allow the States to acquire private property for public use is being abused in many parts of the country by local gov'ts taking private property with public money and selling, leasing or giving it to private developers for economic development.
    There is more I could mention, but this is just my two cents.

3077India- You make some good points. I think it's unfortunate that many Americans have become apathetic when it comes to politics. They think their vote doesn't matter.
    It's important for the people of this country to remember that our government is "...of the people, by the people, and for the people." We do have the power, if we will just take it and use it wisely. There are "tools" we can use to effect change, namely- petitions, initiatives, referendums, recalls, and voting.
    I would like to see Americans research these tools, learn how they work, and most importantly...use those tools to make our government what we want it to be.
    drumcorpssnare

Good point drumcorps. In a political science class I just took, the professor was telling us that out of the entire population...
    5% of people were opinion formers
    15% of people were well informed, or politically active
    80% were indifferent or apathetic!

I feel that this is pathetic, especially since more that 20% of people are going to be voting anyway. I feel that it is everyones responsibility as an American citizen to at least have some idea of what is going on in the local, state, and federal governments that affects everyone on a day to day basis.

hoytarcher45- Imagine if a sizeable group of Americans, say for example....U.S. Marines....were to take the initiative to help educate and persuade their family, friends, and acquaintences to take a more active roll in government/politics. In just day to day conversations with people they know; with "Letters to the Editor" in their local newspapers; grass-roots polling and petitioning, etc.
    Leathernecks have always been taught to "adapt and overcome"...so why not "adapt" to the current mess in our political system, and "overcome" by taking action and using the provisions built in to our government to make the needed changes???

One single Marine probably wouldn't make a difference. ALL OF US...would be heard!
    drumcorpssnare

Quote Originally Posted by hoytarcher45
    Good point drumcorps. In a political science class I just took, the professor was telling us that out of the entire population...
    5% of people were opinion formers
    15% of people were well informed, or politically active
    80% were indifferent or apathetic!

I feel that this is pathetic, especially since more that 20% of people are going to be voting anyway. I feel that it is everyones responsibility as an American citizen to at least have some idea of what is going on in the local, state, and federal governments that affects everyone on a day to day basis.
    You are so correct, but as drumcorps has pointed out, too many people think their vote won't matter. But I think there is more to it than just that. For too long now we have had the mindset that there are only 2 parties for which we can vote - Damnocraps and Republicans. True, we only have a choice in most State and local elections for one or both of these parties, but there are other parties people can promote and work to get elected if only they are willing to put up the effort. Most people won't because there is little to no immediate reward. For this reason, among others, people become apathetic and feel their vote doesn't matter. If the 2000 Presidential Election taugh us anything, it's that every vote does count.

One of my pet peeves in American govt. is "career politicians." These elected officials who serve thirty, forty, even fifty years, have developed their "good-old-boy" network of self-serving, behind the scenes wheeling and dealing, that is really not in our best interest. They cater to lobbyists and "pork-barrel spending" instead of representing the interests of their constituents.
    It is my belief that our founding fathers wanted the average American to govern this country. I think it's unfortunate that terms of office are not limited by the Constitution. Only the President of the United States is limited to two terms.
    I would like to see politicians in this country limited to four terms, total, in office. This would include all levels of government....local, state, and federal.
    So, for example, if I am elected to my state assembly and serve two terms, then run for the US Senate, I can only serve two terms there. Then, I am done as an elected official in this country. Four total terms...no exceptions!

What do you think of term limits?
    drumcorpssnare

limits?

drum corps,you have apoint.the only problem might be if you get areally great guy,who does the job right,we could lose some one great.but by and large lets limit these guys.one other thing i'd like to see,is if you want to run for a differant office you must quit the one you are holding.the politicians should not have a safety net in case they lose.if you wanted to move to a better paying job you would have to give up your current one.

rockyusmc- Doesn't it stand to reason that four terms, even for a "good" politician, is enough time for them to effect positive change? For the average mayoral candidate, that's eight years! For a "good" US Senator, it's twenty-four years! If you can't accomplish something decent in that time span, you're in the wrong business.
    And, using Senator Hillary Rodham Slutface as an example....from the time she swears in for that 6-yr. Senate term, until that 6 yrs. has been fulfilled...
    she should not be eligible to run for any other office. Period! If she quits the Senate early, she has to sit around on her fat a$$ until her six years is up!

Just my thoughts...
    drumcorpssnare

All good points. I definatly think that for every genuine and good polititian that is lost because of these theoretic term limits, there will be 10 times more bad ones that need to be replaced.

It is unfortunate that so many people don't vote because they think their vote does not count. If nothing else, you should vote out of principal. If you don't vote, you should have no reason to complain about the current situation. An youv'e got to think...if 80% of the population is apathetic or uninformed about politics, what do they use as the basis of their vote? Looks? Maybe you should be required to take a test before you are allowed to vote to insure that idiots who know nothing about politics or government aren't deciding who get to be our leaders. Of course, this will never happen. Stupid people are still people too.

Thread Information