Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    5811 & 5816 reporting.

94-98

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thirsty Pilgrim
    As we both got out in Oct. 77 I am assuming that you went in, as I, in 73.

I was in Plt 392 at PI. Yourself?
    Nope. I went in 1 Jul 71, Plt 2071, San Diego. I didn't start in MPs until Aug73 though. 5811 was one of my secondaries.

5811 here 95-99

Another 5831 (MP Corrections)here. Thirsty Pilgram and I served together 1974-78

5811- 1976-1979 at MCRDSD, Iwakuni, ElToro and Tustin.

Any old 5831's out there, know what year the old Mainside Brig (Bldg. 3), Camp Lejeune closed? or how I can find out. I'm thinking 1975, then everything went over to Bldg. 1041 Brig.

I was an MP in the Guard after the Corps. Spent a year doing LE patrol in Germany.

Very interesting.

I also served as an MP (before badges [BADGES? We don' need no stinkin' BADGES!]).
    I served in Yokosuka, Japan, then returned to Camp LeJeune to do a stint as Base MP.
    I left active duty in 1967

Even though I'm apparently resurrecting an older thread, I can't believe that I MUST precede EVERYONE'S stints since when I was an MP at Quantico ('58-'59), it was NOT an MOS. (Myself and 5 others fresh out of PI kind of "volunteered" for it. If anyone was at Quantico around then, Major Britt was the Provost Marshal.)

Some of the posts indicated they were "corrections."

I'm not sure how that fit in at Quantico. I was in Guard Co. on one end and we shared the barracks with Brig personnel on the other end though we were under totally separate commands and did NOT cross-train.

The White Gear we wore was only when on "gate" (Main and maybe Post 2 -Back Gate. I don't recall a post at Hi-Way US-1.) duty. An archived post I've seen spoke of the white pistol belt with the holster "diaper" and the EGA buckle. The White helmet liner with the red/gold stripes and EGA were mentioned in an archuived post.

One item that I have not seen mentioned is, I am wearing a lanyard from my left shoulder crossing over to the holster. My photo is B/W and my guess is the lanyard was red/gold, but I don't recall how it attached at the holster area.

I don't recall having a white nightstick "diaper" even though I recall having my nightstick on me at least one occasion.

I "chased" a prisoner to the Naval Gun Factory in DC and I don't recall that that duty allowed the use of White Gear.

Reason I got into this post is that I'm trying to acquire those items that I wore and my main concern is that some of the info I've seen does NOT seem to distinguish between the width's of both the web belt (about 1 1/2") and the pistol belt (about 2 1/4"), and the belt buckles I've seen mentioned seem to be for the narrower web belt.

Apparently the Dress Blues, NCO, and S/NCO buckles may be of the narrower design. The belt buckle I had, as best I remember, was detachable from the plate for polishing purposes. Any help would be appreciated.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EGA1957 View Post
    Even though I'm apparently resurrecting an older thread, I can't believe that I MUST precede EVERYONE'S stints since when I was an MP at Quantico ('58-'59), it was NOT an MOS. (Myself and 5 others fresh out of PI kind of "volunteered" for it. If anyone was at Quantico around then, Major Britt was the Provost Marshal.)

Some of the posts indicated they were "corrections."

I'm not sure how that fit in at Quantico. I was in Guard Co. on one end and we shared the barracks with Brig personnel on the other end though we were under totally separate commands and did NOT cross-train.

The White Gear we wore was only when on "gate" (Main and maybe Post 2 -Back Gate. I don't recall a post at Hi-Way US-1.) duty. An archived post I've seen spoke of the white pistol belt with the holster "diaper" and the EGA buckle. The White helmet liner with the red/gold stripes and EGA were mentioned in an archuived post.

One item that I have not seen mentioned is, I am wearing a lanyard from my left shoulder crossing over to the holster. My photo is B/W and my guess is the lanyard was red/gold, but I don't recall how it attached at the holster area.

I don't recall having a white nightstick "diaper" even though I recall having my nightstick on me at least one occasion.

I "chased" a prisoner to the Naval Gun Factory in DC and I don't recall that that duty allowed the use of White Gear.

Reason I got into this post is that I'm trying to acquire those items that I wore and my main concern is that some of the info I've seen does NOT seem to distinguish between the width's of both the web belt (about 1 1/2") and the pistol belt (about 2 1/4"), and the belt buckles I've seen mentioned seem to be for the narrower web belt.

Apparently the Dress Blues, NCO, and S/NCO buckles may be of the narrower design. The belt buckle I had, as best I remember, was detachable from the plate for polishing purposes. Any help would be appreciated.
    When I started in MPs (Oct73), we were just adopting civilian style black leather gear. At the time gate MPs still wore the white gear, road patrol the black gear.

The white belt we had was just like the green cartridge belt, with little eyelets and all (the holster was attached with the hook and eyelet system). The buckle was just like you see junior drill instructors wear today. It could be removed from the belt so the belt could be scrubbed and the EGA was also removable from the buckle plate for easier polishing.

The lanyard was red/gold. It had a clip at the end which was hooked to a little lanyard loop on the butt of the M1911A1 pistol. It you weren't armed with the pistol, you didn't wear the lanyard.

In my day, there were white nightstick holders too that had snaps you had to undo in order to release the nightstick. We used the cheap GI black painted wood sticks that were pretty easy to break.

As part of the transition to civilian style equipment, we started carrying straight 26" wood batons that were a lot harder to break and using metal baton rings. I still have my first USMC issue straight baton and even used it for several years on my civilian cop job.

I think I still have my issue pistol lanyard too, somewhere. I never worked gates, so I never wore it.

I served in MP & Guard Co. at CFAY, Japan, and also in MP Co. MCB Lejeune.

I was a MP, 4th MP BN NOLA 1967-72.

Thread Information