Listen Up Poolees!!!
Create Post

Listen Up Poolees!!!

You poolees are here asking questions and getting answers from a group of people who are doing this strictly voluntarily. Time and time again I have seen you people scoff the advice that is given here and chart your own course of action based on what YOU want to do. This web site is NOT in place for your enjoyment, but for your edification. We are responding to your questions based on our combined experience, available reference materials, and often times, just the plain wisdom afforded to us through maturity. If you are serious about getting a leg up and preparing yourselves for the hard road ahead, you have come to the right place. If you consider this just another internet chat room for your leisure and a place to post your opinions, leave and never return!

And, for the record, if I were your Drill Istructor and I caught you with a cross or a scapula around your neck, I would strangle you with it and make it look like a training accident! LISTEN to what we are telling you!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    AMEN Merle! Some of them are just hard headed as hell aren't they? Read and heed Poolees - some of you think you're trying stuff that nobody has tried before. You'll find that there are a lot of things that are important to you personally that the Marine Corps really doesn't give a fat baby's a$$ about - there are NO individuals in the Corps. Having to do without something (be it religious symbols, cigarettes, alcohol, sex or Mommy and Daddy) for 3 months IS NO BIG DEAL.

You'll find that the handbook they pass out to you guys may say that you can take something but, you'll also find when you hit either MCRD that a lot of what they say you can take gets put in storage for 3 months. My handbook told me to take a bathing suit - when I got there, I was told to leave it in my luggage because I wouldn't need it. And I didn't need it - we swam in PT gear or uniform.

Some of us may kid around with you guys but, for the biggest part, we aren't blowing smoke up your a$$ or telling you stuff just so we can give our fingers a workout on the computer. If you're hell bent on doing your own thing - you may as well stay at home and do your own thing on the block. The Corps has no time for you!

That may be the best post I have seen here in months. The cross discussion was just stupid. Everyone with cheverons under their name was telling him not to take it, but some wannabes think they know better. I have a feeling those make up the 1/3 of poolees that never become Marines.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

And for just as many that have

gaffed off our advice there have been the ones that have heeded it and moved on and are now one of the few, the proud, they are Marines and not wannabees. Just keep up your crap and we will see who laughs last go ahead and be an individual. Don't take the advice of any of us. Collectively we probably have a 1000 years of experience and that is probably an underestimate.

Good luck.

"I like the way you talk."

Excellent assessment and comment YLDNDN6.

Even as an undisciplined civilian snot rag, I would not have dreamed of asking for advice and not following it. There is simply too much "what if?" discussion following the advice that is given here.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    This is something that is cyclic and occurs each year as one years Pool advances on to MCRD and the next joins on. Yes it is irritating but no more so than when a Drill Instructor dismiss's his squared away platoon of basic Marines, only to pick up a new herd of turds and start all over again. The Poolee's do grow in their knowlege and understanding as their year in the DEP progress. We must be firm but at the same time patient in dealing with the newbies just as the salts were with us. A question that arises every year is "What Can I Take To Boot Camp?" A Drill Instructor at MCRD San Diego that meets the bus at receiving offered the following thread as to what to bring. If I hadent gotten pi$$ed and locked it there would probably be 4,000 more posts to it by now.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=29048

by jinelson - I cannot believe that this thread has gone this far. The Drill Instructor Gunnery Sergeant has informed Poolees and Wannabes of the only items they will be allowed to have when they enter the recieving barracks at MCRD. He should know as he will likely be the one to greet you when you get off the bus. He did add a bible and religous material which he forgot so only those 11 items. If you take anything else you rate whatever fate falls upon you. This thread is now closed!
    I know as a fact that we as a knowlegable group provide the best advice and knowlege anywhere on the web for Poolee's. As my high school teacher remarked about me "You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink." We can only take solace in the fact that recruit training will be much harder for those who do not heed our advice.

Jim

Thread Information