DUI issues
Create Post

Thread: DUI issues

DUI issues

I am 25 and recently interviewed with a MARINE recruiter and he told me the only thing keeping me from enlisting is that I have a DUI fine and I still have one year of informal probation. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting thier probation reduced or terminated to enlist if they paid the rest of their fine in full? Has anyone heard of anything similar to what I am asking? Also, I have completed my freshman year of college and I am considering trying to continue school and become an officer, do I contact the recruiter to get in contact with an OSO? If not, how do I contact my local OSO? Thank you.

First, determine if you have a problem with alcohol. How many times within the past year would you have been arrested for DUI had you been pulled over. If the answer is three or more times, you have a recurrent alcohol abuse problem. Deal with it. Joining the Marines will not cure an alcohol problem, and in some cases makes it worse. Many Marines get administratively separated from the Corps due to alcohol related incidents.

The Marine Corps has a zero tolerance to drug use. One strike and you're out.

Second, talk to your probation officer to find out if something can be worked out with the court concerning enlisting prior to fulfilling the one year probation. Sometimes a judge will buy off on it.

Third, the recruiter will be able to point you to an OSO.

Stay in college if you can...... my two cents.

I would have to agree with the 1stSgt 100% on this. As a former 58xx(Military Police), If you have even the slightest bit of an alcohol problem now, you cant even imagine how bad it will get once your in. Marine Corps units have not only no tolerance, but no patience for that, you will find yourself in a blue jumpsuit police calling the barracks area after a quit miserable trip to the Brig. Concentratye on whts important at the moment, get help and stay in school

Quote Originally Posted by The1stSgt
    First, determine if you have a problem with alcohol. How many times within the past year would you have been arrested for DUI had you been pulled over. If the answer is three or more times, you have a recurrent alcohol abuse problem. Deal with it. Joining the Marines will not cure an alcohol problem, and in some cases makes it worse. Many Marines get administratively separated from the Corps due to alcohol related incidents.

The Marine Corps has a zero tolerance to drug use. One strike and you're out.

Second, talk to your probation officer to find out if something can be worked out with the court concerning enlisting prior to fulfilling the one year probation. Sometimes a judge will buy off on it.

Third, the recruiter will be able to point you to an OSO.

Stay in college if you can...... my two cents.
    I rarely drink since I got my DUI and I never drive after drinking, so I don't have a problem with alcohol, and I don't use drugs. I'm on informal probation meaning I don't have a PO, it just means if I'm arrested, I will be charged with violation of my probation plus whatever I'm arrested for. I could contact the probation dept. for better answers though. I am not in school right now, but I have completed my first year.

Your best bet is to call your lawyer and have him bring the issue before the judge before filing any motions. If the judge is receptive, which he probably will be, you will file a motion to reduce your sentence, and it can be approved. It isn't uncomommon unless you have had other issues as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Echo_Four_Bravo
    Your best bet is to call your lawyer and have him bring the issue before the judge before filing any motions. If the judge is receptive, which he probably will be, you will file a motion to reduce your sentence, and it can be approved. It isn't uncomommon unless you have had other issues as well.
    That is really good news, the DUI is my one and only screw up with the law and it haunts me wherever I go. IF worst comes to worst I will only have to wait untill next June before I enlist.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by swall359
    I am 25 and recently interviewed with a MARINE recruiter and he told me the only thing keeping me from enlisting is that I have a DUI fine and I still have one year of informal probation. Has anyone ever heard of someone getting thier probation reduced or terminated to enlist if they paid the rest of their fine in full? Has anyone heard of anything similar to what I am asking? Also, I have completed my freshman year of college and I am considering trying to continue school and become an officer, do I contact the recruiter to get in contact with an OSO? If not, how do I contact my local OSO? Thank you.

Yes you must be off of probation. I have seen judges eliminate probation for people who have committed to joining the Marine Corps. You must have your lawyer petition for it. Your recruiter in no way can help you with this.

As far as the officer route is concerned, chances are slim to none with a DUI conviction. It will require a serious waiver. Officers are the ones who dish out the punishment to enlisted ranks. You cant have an officer who is not disciplined enough to follow these basic rules himself. The qualifications for officers say that you must have no criminal convictions of any kind other than minor traffic offenses.

I agree with Cplbrooks...the DUI probably kills your chances of becoming an officer. Now if you were to enlist and serve honorably for a period of four or more years you might have a chance of getting a commission that way.

I agree with Cplbrooks...the DUI probably kills your chances of becoming an officer. Now if you were to enlist and serve honorably for a period of four or more years you might have a chance of getting a commission that way.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Even though you are on unsupervised probation you can save yourself a lawyer fee by calling the local sherriffs dept. and asking to speak to a probation officer. Explain your situation and he/she will be able to steer you in the right direction as far as dealing with the probation. If you are serious about joining and staying sober then carry your recruiters buisness card with you.

I might also add that one year is a relatively short period of time in the grand scheme of things. Keep your nose clean for the probationary period and then go talk to a recruiter.

Thread Information