How to spot a Phony SEAL - Page 19
Create Post
Page 19 of 41 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Waveslide View Post
    By any chance you know HM1(FMF) Coates? Now HMC. He was IDC for Team 5.
    I never met any of their Corpsman (at least not that i know of). We either called them by their first names or by their rate (S.O. 3) or whatever there appropriate rates were. From what i remember the majority of the team was in Al Asad, we only worked with a small platoon. I'm pretty sure they were SDV-1 (post-redwing) guys, if i remember correctly. We mostly talked about beer, tried not to talk about work too much. haha, in the suck all you want to talk about is everything but the suck. Nice dudes...The CMC, (Can't remember his name, but he was pretty country for sure...) actually gave another Marine & I team coins. I'm pretty sure it's only because we made him laugh. We asked if we could trade chem lights, because ours were inferior to theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by MotivatorOfTheGuard View Post
    I never met any of their Corpsman (at least not that i know of). We either called them by their first names or by their rate (S.O. 3) or whatever there appropriate rates were. From what i remember the majority of the team was in Al Asad, we only worked with a small platoon. I'm pretty sure they were SDV-1 (post-redwing) guys, if i remember correctly. We mostly talked about beer, tried not to talk about work too much. haha, in the suck all you want to talk about is everything but the suck. Nice dudes...The CMC, (Can't remember his name, but he was pretty country for sure...) actually gave another Marine & I team coins. I'm pretty sure it's only because we made him laugh. We asked if we could trade chem lights, because ours were inferior to theirs.
    I'm glad you did not have to meet any of their HM's!

Quote Originally Posted by Waveslide View Post
    I'm glad you did not have to meet any of their HM's!
    We may very well have, they just rarely wear anything that distinguishes them as SEALs...but i'm pretty sure that there were quite a few dudes who went to the 18D course who weren't HM's...but i'm not sure man. Wish i could help you more...

Crazhorse

I have not ran into a phony seal but have met a fake recon Marine. What a hunk of cheese he was. They finally caught up to him. He had been working the west coast. I did some training with some Seals in 89 when I was in. It was a decent experience. In the end, just about all operators keep a low profile.

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Things that make you go; "Hrrrrmmmm....."

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Brzycki View Post
    "I remember one time when I was in the Boy Scouts . . ."
    - HEY! I resemble that remark!!!!!

I have read this thread from the beginning and am sad to see that the resources for exposing posers seem to have dried up. I was attracted to this thread because there was a gent that I used to work with that professed to be a SEAL. He was hired to design the physical security for the building because he is a Plank Holder with SEAL Team 6 (naturally).

Now - other than his hair being a tad long, I saw no reason to doubt this. Until, he started talking about it himself (I was always taught that if you claimed to be any kind of spec ops, you probably weren't), claimed to be "on call" and said his specialty was desigining security systems for U.S. Emabassies. At this point my Spidey sense was a-tingling and I just kinda nodded politly. But then I think the real last straw was when he said I could find him "on the web site." Now, I know as much about the SEALs as I know about nuclear reactors so I did not have the deep knowledge to try & vet this guy out myself.

So, Marines, I ask - what do you all think? Was this civilian's BS detector operating properly? Or could the guy have been legit? BTW - all this transpired in 2000/01, long after Team 6 became USN Special Warfare Development Group.

Quote Originally Posted by KaosDad View Post
    - HEY! I resemble that remark!!!!!

I have read this thread from the beginning and am sad to see that the resources for exposing posers seem to have dried up. I was attracted to this thread because there was a gent that I used to work with that professed to be a SEAL. He was hired to design the physical security for the building because he is a Plank Holder with SEAL Team 6 (naturally).

Now - other than his hair being a tad long, I saw no reason to doubt this. Until, he started talking about it himself (I was always taught that if you claimed to be any kind of spec ops, you probably weren't), claimed to be "on call" and said his specialty was desigining security systems for U.S. Emabassies. At this point my Spidey sense was a-tingling and I just kinda nodded politly. But then I think the real last straw was when he said I could find him "on the web site." Now, I know as much about the SEALs as I know about nuclear reactors so I did not have the deep knowledge to try & vet this guy out myself.

So, Marines, I ask - what do you all think? Was this civilian's BS detector operating properly? Or could the guy have been legit? BTW - all this transpired in 2000/01, long after Team 6 became USN Special Warfare Development Group.
    Honestly brother, sounds like a poser to me...like i said before, and you stated as well, operators don't advertise. The only person i know that has openly "advertised", and was really legit is Dan Marcinko (hope i spelled that right). He was one of the original 6 members...There may be others but he is the only one i can think of, and he's a renowned author and consultant.

As far as this guy goes, i honestly would ask to see his copy of his DD214 (or if they call it something different in the Navy). Or you could possibly go to a Navy Recruiter and ask about avenues you could take to veryify his warrior history. If i wanted to i could write a resume claiming i was MARSOC, and war hero, doesn't make it true. This guy shouldn't be making bank because people think he's something he's not. Much less one of the warrior elite. It's incredible enough the struggles that SEALs go through to earn their trident, much less a spot in DEVGROUP...that shouldn't be trodden upon by a poser trying to make a quick buck and get undeserved thanks of gratitude from Americans he never provided freedom for. But then again, i have a couple beers in me and i may be crazy, but thats how i see it.

Quote Originally Posted by FistFu68 View Post
    Let them Navy SEALS,police their own as Long as a Wannabee Poser ain't pretending too be USMC I don't really give a flying Fuc.
    Haha, fistfu you ornry old salt...

Guaranteed he is a poser !! Any SEAL (like A Force Recon Marine) will never advertise. Motivator is right - let the SEAL's police up their own crap.

Give me a name, approximate age.. Ill tell you with absolute certainty whether or not he was ever a Navy SEAL.

Team 6, Plankholder? Not likely, that was a VERY SMALL group of guys that Dick PERSONALLY picked out. That includes Harry Humpries. Its not impossible but its NOT LIKELY. But, if the guy is for real and IS from ST6 (now DevGroup) let me know, I can forward it to Dick Marcinko to get back in touch with him IF he wants.

BTW... my Marine buddies over at SOCNET go after the Marine FR posers too. We all have to work together to expose the lies and BS these guys come up with. Semper Fi Marines!

Old Swabbie, Good call and good post. You mention Harry Humpries, the name is familiar, do you know if he was at Nha Be in the Rung Sat in 1967 (I believe they were Team 1). I was with A 5th Recon on assignment to Nha Be and had the pleasure to work with the guys there - up the Long Tau river. The Marine advisors there were Lt Bruce Wincensen and Sgt John Trujillo.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post
    Give me a name, approximate age.. Ill tell you with absolute certainty whether or not he was ever a Navy SEAL.

Team 6, Plankholder? Not likely, that was a VERY SMALL group of guys that Dick PERSONALLY picked out. That includes Harry Humpries. Its not impossible but its NOT LIKELY. But, if the guy is for real and IS from ST6 (now DevGroup) let me know, I can forward it to Dick Marcinko to get back in touch with him IF he wants.

BTW... my Marine buddies over at SOCNET go after the Marine FR posers too. We all have to work together to expose the lies and BS these guys come up with. Semper Fi Marines!
    Hey Swabb, what precisely does the term plankholder implie? Never heard of it until now...

Squad Leader Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MotivatorOfTheGuard View Post
    Hey Swabb, what precisely does the term plankholder implie? Never heard of it until now...

It means being a member of the very first crew of a ship or unit when placed into commission.

In the old Navy, a Plankowner was entitled (by custom, not regulation) to a piece of the ship's wooden deck as a remembrance when the ship was decommissioned. In today's steel decked ships, usually a nice certificate or a plaque is issued to qualified crew members instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambert43 View Post
    Old Swabbie, Good call and good post. You mention Harry Humpries, the name is familiar, do you know if he was at Nha Be in the Rung Sat in 1967 (I believe they were Team 1). I was with A 5th Recon on assignment to Nha Be and had the pleasure to work with the guys there - up the Long Tau river. The Marine advisors there were Lt Bruce Wincensen and Sgt John Trujillo.
    Hoot Andrews was also with him If i'm not mistaken.. along with Roy Boehmn.. but I do not know the details of exactly where they were stationed at... I do know that Harry and some of the guys were at Chau Doc in 68 during Tet...and was awarded a silver star for his heroism. One SEAL team was called Det Bravo and worked with US forces and ARVN.. they were playing hide and seek and grab on HVT's.. basically "Spook Sh**" The SEALS operated all over the Country but quite a bit in the Delta. The UDT/SEALS had their hands full too. Back then UDT & SEAL were two separate things - same training just different jobs. It was the same when I was in the Navy 75-80.. You had to be called out and selected for SEAL from UDT. In 83 (I THINK) they merged them.

BTW.. I was NOT a SEAL just so everyone knows I work with SEAL Authenticators because I was former US Navy, it helps to keep the NSW Community clean and I'm friends with both Retired & AD SEALS.

My hat is off to my web footed green brothers who fought in that crazy place. I was 3 years too young to go before the war ended. I was one of the ones that believed and STILL believes what we did was right going there and fighting. I get angry at people who say we "lost" the war.. we did NOT loose that war. We bombed the North Vietnamese into the stone age to force them back to the peace talks.. (This time we bombed ALL of hanoi).. we fought to an agreed peace and we withdrew. TWO YEARS later the ARVN were just simply overran by superior numbers.. not because they didnt fight like lions.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSwabbie View Post
    Hoot Andrews was also with him If i'm not mistaken.. along with Roy Boehmn.. but I do not know the details of exactly where they were stationed at... I do know that Harry and some of the guys were at Chau Doc in 68 during Tet...and was awarded a silver star for his heroism. One SEAL team was called Det Bravo and worked with US forces and ARVN.. they were playing hide and seek and grab on HVT's.. basically "Spook Sh**" The SEALS operated all over the Country but quite a bit in the Delta. The UDT/SEALS had their hands full too. Back then UDT & SEAL were two separate things - same training just different jobs. It was the same when I was in the Navy 75-80.. You had to be called out and selected for SEAL from UDT. In 83 (I THINK) they merged them.

BTW.. I was NOT a SEAL just so everyone knows I work with SEAL Authenticators because I was former US Navy, it helps to keep the NSW Community clean and I'm friends with both Retired & AD SEALS.

My hat is off to my web footed green brothers who fought in that crazy place. I was 3 years too young to go before the war ended. I was one of the ones that believed and STILL believes what we did was right going there and fighting. I get angry at people who say we "lost" the war.. we did NOT loose that war. We bombed the North Vietnamese into the stone age to force them back to the peace talks.. (This time we bombed ALL of hanoi).. we fought to an agreed peace and we withdrew. TWO YEARS later the ARVN were just simply overran by superior numbers.. not because they didnt fight like lions.
    I think i actually read a book about the SEAL detatchment that was doing snatches...if i remember correctly it was bravo platoon of SEAL Team One that was operating off of a river bardge type of outpost. I believe it was only them and a detatchment of Seabees, and they were running after HVT's in that AO...I know they were participating in the Phoenix program, but i'm not sure if they were the same operators you were referring to. I'm pretty sure the majority of the Phoenix program was being handled by the Green Beret's (my grandfather was one of them), however because of the region they were working in, it was SEAL territory.

Swabbie i'm glad that there are people dedicated to surfacing the posers, the Title of Marine, the SEAL Trident and so forth aren't things that people should take for granted, much less exploit.

And thanks for the info on the Plankholder term, never had come across it before.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Yo S/Sgt.Lambert were You Bn.Recon or Force

Thread Information