Mother fights for son who said no to war - Page 4
Create Post
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SuNmAN
    I respect Bob Watada for serving in the Peace Corps when he did not believe in the Vietnam War as opposed to fleeing to Canada.

The Peace Corps is no summer camp. Instead of bullets and booby traps, you got malaria and dysentry trying to kill you.

Besides he probably he a lot more good helping people in Peru than he would've done killing people in Vietnam.

I have no problem with that personally.

Sigh.

Malaria/Dysentary. There are meds and shots you can take for that.

Do you think that every single person who served in Vietnam..or even in Iraq for that matter, are out with their ass in the grass getting trigger time?

Why does everyone assume that orders to Iraq (or Vietnam) automatically is gonna be in firefights the minute they get off the plane/ship????

Note that when he returned from his little Peace Corps jaunt, he got another notice for induction, instead, he went to graduate school.

IF he were a Republican, he would be villified far and wide as a coward/draft dodger etc. Instead, he's touted as some sort of hero.

Typical hypocritical liberals.

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    Sigh.

Malaria/Dysentary. There are meds and shots you can take for that.

Do you think that every single person who served in Vietnam..or even in Iraq for that matter, are out with their ass in the grass getting trigger time?

Why does everyone assume that orders to Iraq (or Vietnam) automatically is gonna be in firefights the minute they get off the plane/ship????

Note that when he returned from his little Peace Corps jaunt, he got another notice for induction, instead, he went to graduate school.

IF he were a Republican, he would be villified far and wide as a coward/draft dodger etc. Instead, he's touted as some sort of hero.

Typical hypocritical liberals.
    I don't tout him as a hero whatsoever

but hey, he didn't break the law.

The draft board offered to let him serve in the Peace Corps and he did

Then he was smart enough to get into grad school and the government did not draft students in grad school and he did

he's no hero, but he's a helluva lot better than those who just fled to Canada.

Vietnam was a conflict in which the national security of the United States was NOT threatened whatsoever.

This man did not volunteer for the US military as his son did. He did not want to go to war, so he found a legal means to avoid it.

I don't tout him as a hero whatsoever

but hey, he didn't break the law.

The draft board offered to let him serve in the Peace Corps and he did

Then he was smart enough to get into grad school and the government did not draft students in grad school and he did

Vietnam was a conflict in which the national security of the United States was NOT threatened whatsoever.

This man did not volunteer for the US military as his son did. He did not want to go to war, so he found a legal means to avoid it.
    So, you would apply that same standard to someone who joined the National Guard at the same time period?

I won't get into the Vietnam conflict issue right now, because I simply don't have the time.

Credits
    Savings

Question "C" Courage or Coward

"Courage is the first of human qualities because it is the quality which guarantees the others" ~ Aristotle

We were cursed, beaten, kicked, and compelled to go through exercises to the extent that a few were unconscious for some minutes. They kept it up for the greater part of the afternoon, and then those who could possibly stand on their feet were compelled to take cold shower baths. One of the boys was scrubbed with a scrubbing brush using lye on him. They drew blood in several places.
    Mennonite from Camp Lee, Virginia, United States, 16 July 1918.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conscientious_objector

Hey, 10th, good to see ya! I take it that quote is from a CO from WWI? That's my guess without researching it.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

For the same reason I respect what Scott Baez(Joans' hubbie) did, he went to jail instead of service, on principle. I'd rather serve my country than serve time. He could have run but he wouldn't. Don't like him, but respect him more than any "runners"! Anyone who went to Canada should have had to stay there (and put up with Yellow Wing). And the main point of this , is the Lt. VOLUNTEERED! Was NOT drafted.

Exactly DWG. I'd have more respect if he just said "I'm a coward and scared, I plead guilty prior to trial and take what punishment falls my way".

This case is open and shut, he missed movement and let his brothers go to Iraq with one less person. I say burn the son of a *****.

Many of you are responding emotionally to this story. Ive heard everything from branding him to jailing him... My only question is... What gives you the right. I was a Marine and I dont stand in judgement of other Marines. Just remember as Marines we have to pride ourselves on our strength. It is not the strong thing to degrate this man. But hump a mile in his boots.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Screw him, he's a doggie-string him up!

So, you would apply that same standard to someone who joined the National Guard at the same time period?

I won't get into the Vietnam conflict issue right now, because I simply don't have the time.
    as far as I'm concerned the National Guard is part of the US military.

Exactly DWG. I'd have more respect if he just said "I'm a coward and scared, I plead guilty prior to trial and take what punishment falls my way".

I honestly do believe that he is sincere about what he says based on what I've read

but the law is the law

especially for an Officer that is a leader of US soldiers. He cannot get a blank check and must receive his due punishment.

mom fights for son

It's a shame that people don't understand the oath they take. They think "Well I dont like the job, I will just quit". This is a comittment, not a 9-5'r. I just hope I don't have to see this as a regular event. To my fellow Marines, Welcome home and thank you for your service.

Quote Originally Posted by USMCJohn
    It's a shame that people don't understand the oath they take. They think "Well I dont like the job, I will just quit". This is a comittment, not a 9-5'r. I just hope I don't have to see this as a regular event. To my fellow Marines, Welcome home and thank you for your service.

I hate to be defending this guy because I don't agree with what he's doing...BUT

he's not quitting because he "doesn't like the job". He refuses to go fight in Iraq because he no longer believes in the legality and morality of the Iraq War. And there are many, many (like 2/3rds) of Americans who share his view.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I hate to be defending this guy because I don't agree with what he's doing...BUT

he's not quitting because he "doesn't like the job". He refuses to go fight in Iraq because he no longer believes in the legality and morality of the Iraq War. And there are many, many (like 2/3rds) of Americans who share his view.
    The "blue" states don't make up 2/3, no matter what the MSM says.

Thread Information