Mother fights for son who said no to war - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Marine wife AND Marine Mom

My son made Corporal Nov. 1 and I am honored that he has learned to give his all to his committments and blessed to see him be courageuos. No, war is not pretty. I appreciate ALL of our servicemen who defend us, our rights, our counrty.

I am mom to 12 blessings and do NOT coddle them.
    No whining allowed.
    I love them with all my heart. We have fun together work hard and play hard and hug when approriate. I cook their favorite meals on special occassions.....That does NOT mean that I want them perpetually in diapers!
    We have too many whiners in our society today who are unthankful for the many blessings that we have in this country.
    Prior to my son joining the Corps, we had serious discussions regarding what this was all about. He made a committment and is keeping it in honor, courageously. He has spent 2 years combat duty, including Fallujah. Recon 31st MEU. Now he is training young pups stateside and they are talking of him going back in February.
    To all of our men who have faithfully served in any capacity of our military, we say THANK YOU FOR SERVING ! .. but the USMC is the best

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I think you are the one to be thanked, for raising a son as brave and patriotic as you have! THANK YOU, HisSemperFiWife! (Did you say 12; tip o' the hat to you ma'am!) You've got your own squad!

Now there is a Mom a Marine can be proud of!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    what did this idiot think he would be doing joining the military? Some folks.................I swear.

AND................if he's 28 and STILL has Mama fighting for him - he ain't got the balls that I think he needs to wear that bar (for one thing) and to lead other men.

I don't want him in MY Corps! Put him in the brig! Take his bar - shave his head and send him back home to Mama!

Wikipedia:

[edit] Education
    He attended Punahou School, then transferred in his sophomore year to Kalani High School, where he played cornerback on the varsity football team. His father, Bob Watada, served for ten years as executive director of Hawaii's Campaign Spending Commission.

An Eagle Scout and near straight-A student, Watada graduated from Hawaii Pacific University in 2003 [3] and joined the US Army after the war in Iraq began. Watada stated that after 9/11 he was motivated "out of a desire to protect our country." Watada first served a tour in Korea, where he was rated by his superiors as "among the best", "exemplary", and recommended for early promotion ahead of his peers. Watada then returned to the United States in June 2005 and reported to Ft. Lewis army base to begin preparation for deployment to Iraq.[4]

Upon discovering that he would be going to Iraq, Watada began conducting research on the war. After reading about International Law, the history of Iraq, articles by scholars as well as governmental and non-governmental agencies,[5] and speaking with veterans returning from Iraq,[4] he ceased to believe in the legality and morality of the war. In January 2006 he submitted a resignation request, declaring that he would not serve in Iraq. Based on this research, Watada claimed, the war violates the Constitution and War Powers Act which "limits the president in his role as Commander in Chief from using the armed forces in any way he sees fit", as well as the UN Charter, the Geneva Conventions, and the Nuremberg Principles, which "bar wars of aggression." Further, he asserted that the war was based on misleading or false premises such as the existence of Weapons of Mass Destruction in Iraq, alleged links between Saddam Hussein and al-Qaeda, and that the occupation itself does not follow the Army's own legal rules of conduct for occupying a country. For all of these reasons, says Watada, he cannot morally participate in the war.[6]

The Army refused his resignation. Watada has said he is not a conscientious objector because he is not opposed to war as a principle, only the war in Iraq, and so offered to serve in Afghanistan,[7] which he regarded as "an unambiguous war linked to the Sept. 11 attacks." This was also refused. Watada, in turn, refused an offer for a desk job in Iraq without direct combat involvement.[4] Lt. Watada's initial term of service ends on December 3, 2006; however, the US Army may choose to extend its officers' tours of duty at its discretion.

oh well at least he volunteered to go to Afghanistan, and they said he was stellar in peacetime and recommended for quick promotion.

I don't agree with him refusing deployment but I can see where he is coming from.

Article 32 hearing
    Lt. Watada's article 32 hearing was held on August 17, 2006.[9] Investigating officer Lt. Col. Mark Keith presided.[10]

The Army prosecutor, Capt. Dan Kuecker, described Watada's actions as contemptuous of President Bush, and argued that Watada's public statements hurt morale in his unit, coming as they did as his unit was approaching deployment to Iraq.[10] He played video clips from Lt. Watada's address to a Veterans for Peace conference.[11] In that speech, Watada called on his fellow soldiers to stop fighting.[12] Eric Seitz, Watada's civilian counsel, and Capt. Mark Kim, Watada's military lawyer, raised the issue of the legality of the war. Over the prosecutor's objections, Seitz and Kim called three witnesses to question the legality of the war.[10] University of Illinois Professor Francis Boyle, an authority in international law, testified that the war is illegal because it was not authorized by the U.N. Security Council, and because Congress approved the war only after being lied to by the Bush administration. Also testifying in Watada's defense were Former United Nations Undersecretary Denis Halliday, and Army Colonel Ann Wright (ret.), who resigned from the army in March 2003 in protest of the coming invasion. Like Boyle, both asserted that the war was illegal and that therefore Lt. Watada was within his rights to refuse participation in it. Also, the American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) filed a friend-of-the-court brief, stating that "soldiers should not be court martialled for explaining their views."[13]

Lt. Col. Mark Keith has recommended Watada for court martial on all charges, saying, however, that he thinks that Lt. Watada appears to be "sincere in his beliefs," and that this sincerity may mitigate future punishment. It remains to be seen what will happen. Of the court martial recommendation, Eric Seitz has stated that he is dismayed that the Army seems to be trying Watada without looking seriously at his arguments and that of the other experts appearing at the trial about the legality of the war.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Guess we know where our next john kerry is coming from; only this guy isn't even wasting 3 months in-country!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SuNmAN
    Wikipedia:

[edit]

oh well at least he volunteered to go to Afghanistan, and they said he was stellar in peacetime and recommended for quick promotion.

I don't agree with him refusing deployment but I can see where he is coming from.
    Do you see no irony here?

I don't care what his resume is. I also don't care how much 'research' he supposedly did to justify his cowardice.

He doesn't get to 'pick and choose' where he wants to go and when he wants to serve. Obviously, he never read his officers handbook.

Of course his civilian lawyer "would be dismayed", since his civvie lawyer is a good liberal idiot like himself. As would the LtCol who resigned (wonder if she had her 20 when she did so).

Again, he doesn't get to pick and choose. They even offered him a fobbit job, which he refused.

My opinion remains unchanged.

Acorn not far from the tree

It would appear this runs in the family....
    I'm sure you will all be as shocked as I am.

Watada: Like father, like son

During Vietnam, Bob Watada was able to avoid serving

>> Watada could face prison and discharge for defiance

By Gregg K. Kakesako
    gkakesako@starbulletin.com

More than four decades ago, Bob Watada, who lost a brother fighting in Korea, opposed the war in Vietnam.
    Instead of running off to Canada, Watada approached his draft board in Colorado and was allowed to serve in the Peace Corps for two years in Peru.
    He believed the Vietnam War was illegal.
    Now his son, Army 1st Lt. Ehren Watada, has announced he will not serve in Iraq for the same reason.
    The elder Watada said even after spending two years in the Peace Corps, the Pentagon tried to draft him when he returned home, but he did not have to serve because he was able to enter graduate school at the University of Northern Colorado.
    Watada, former executive director of the state Campaign Spending Commission, said he had many discussions about Iraq with his son before the younger Watada enlisted in 2003 -- the same month the U.S. invaded Iraq.
    "He knew that I had been given the option by the draft board to serve in the Peace Corps for two years in Peru," the elder Watada said. "He also knew I had a brother who died in Korea and what his death meant to the family."
    He spoke yesterday at a state Capitol news conference that was supposed to include a telephone hookup with his son. However, Lt. Watada was ordered not to talk to the media while on duty, so he did not participate.
    Still, supporters carrying light green placards with the words "Thank You. 1st Lt. Ehren Watada for resisting an illegal war" crowded into the Senate conference room yesterday.
    Bob Watada told how of the 10 brothers in his family, seven served in the military, with an elder brother working as a Japanese interpreter at the end of World War II in the Military Intelligence Service.
    Ehren Watada "knew that I had a brother who had died in Korea, and I was concerned about him going to Iraq. I didn't want him to come home in a box," his father said. "He told me that he was very proud of his uncle. He was willing to die for his country as his uncle had. He knew the risk.
    "He was very, very patriotic. He was very much for his country. He didn't realize then that the president could lie."
    Watada said both the invasions of Vietnam and Iraq were illegally done.
    Like the anti-war protests of the 1960s, Watada said, pressure has to be placed on the Bush administration by those who are doing the fighting in Iraq.
    Carolyn Ho, Ehren Watada's mother, said her son's decision is "an act of patriotism, and act of conscience. ... It is a message that blindly following an order is an option. It is a statement that voices of the people must supersede the voices of the politicians."

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt Leprechaun
    I don't care what his resume is. I also don't care how much 'research' he supposedly did to justify his cowardice.

He doesn't get to 'pick and choose' where he wants to go and when he wants to serve. Obviously, he never read his officers handbook.

Of course his civilian lawyer "would be dismayed", since his civvie lawyer is a good liberal idiot like himself. As would the LtCol who resigned (wonder if she had her 20 when she did so).

Again, he doesn't get to pick and choose. They even offered him a fobbit job, which he refused.

My opinion remains unchanged.
    wasn't trying to change your opinion, just wanted to look up a few facts before I form mine.

And, he's now become an anti war poster child:

http://thankyoult.live.radicaldesign...tent/view/178/

Want to see more of this 'innocent lads' parents anti war activities?

Simple. Just google 'bob watada'. Plenty of reading material out there.

It would appear this runs in the family....
    I'm sure you will all be as shocked as I am.

Watada: Like father, like son

During Vietnam, Bob Watada was able to avoid serving

>> Watada could face prison and discharge for defiance

By Gregg K. Kakesako
    gkakesako@starbulletin.com

More than four decades ago, Bob Watada, who lost a brother fighting in Korea, opposed the war in Vietnam.
    Instead of running off to Canada, Watada approached his draft board in Colorado and was allowed to serve in the Peace Corps for two years in Peru.
    He believed the Vietnam War was illegal.
    Now his son, Army 1st Lt. Ehren Watada, has announced he will not serve in Iraq for the same reason.
    The elder Watada said even after spending two years in the Peace Corps, the Pentagon tried to draft him when he returned home, but he did not have to serve because he was able to enter graduate school at the University of Northern Colorado.
    Watada, former executive director of the state Campaign Spending Commission, said he had many discussions about Iraq with his son before the younger Watada enlisted in 2003 -- the same month the U.S. invaded Iraq.
    "He knew that I had been given the option by the draft board to serve in the Peace Corps for two years in Peru," the elder Watada said. "He also knew I had a brother who died in Korea and what his death meant to the family."
    He spoke yesterday at a state Capitol news conference that was supposed to include a telephone hookup with his son. However, Lt. Watada was ordered not to talk to the media while on duty, so he did not participate.
    Still, supporters carrying light green placards with the words "Thank You. 1st Lt. Ehren Watada for resisting an illegal war" crowded into the Senate conference room yesterday.
    Bob Watada told how of the 10 brothers in his family, seven served in the military, with an elder brother working as a Japanese interpreter at the end of World War II in the Military Intelligence Service.
    Ehren Watada "knew that I had a brother who had died in Korea, and I was concerned about him going to Iraq. I didn't want him to come home in a box," his father said. "He told me that he was very proud of his uncle. He was willing to die for his country as his uncle had. He knew the risk.
    "He was very, very patriotic. He was very much for his country. He didn't realize then that the president could lie."
    Watada said both the invasions of Vietnam and Iraq were illegally done.
    Like the anti-war protests of the 1960s, Watada said, pressure has to be placed on the Bush administration by those who are doing the fighting in Iraq.
    Carolyn Ho, Ehren Watada's mother, said her son's decision is "an act of patriotism, and act of conscience. ... It is a message that blindly following an order is an option. It is a statement that voices of the people must supersede the voices of the politicians."

I respect Bob Watada for serving in the Peace Corps when he did not believe in the Vietnam War as opposed to fleeing to Canada.

The Peace Corps is no summer camp. Instead of bullets and booby traps, you got malaria and dysentry trying to kill you.

Besides he probably he a lot more good helping people in Peru than he would've done killing people in Vietnam.

I have no problem with that personally.

And, he's now become an anti war poster child:

http://thankyoult.live.radicaldesign...tent/view/178/

Want to see more of this 'innocent lads' parents anti war activities?

Simple. Just google 'bob watada'. Plenty of reading material out there.

yeah thats frickin BS

I think he has become a shame to all those brave Japanese Americans who fought for the 442nd Regimental Combat Team in WW2

Quote Originally Posted by D W George
    Do you see no irony here?
    I see none because I would not refuse a deployment to Iraq, ESPECIALLY as a leader of US troops.

Thread Information