Getting your specific MOS
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Getting your specific MOS

So how does one actually go about getting his specific MOS? I just got into the DEP program (could a mod change my account to a Poolee one, please?) and my recruiter handed me a BX contract (05xx/06xx), but it didn't actually specify which job I would get, just that I would be in those fields. What's the process for actually getting the MOS you want, and what are your chances of being selected for it?

If it helps at all, I'm looking to be an 0651 and scored a 97/99 on my ASVAB.

you get your MOS assigned to you when you get to your MOS school.

thats it. end of story. You get a field assigned to you, and the Corps does what it wants with you. I can't remember my ASVAB score, but I do remember my recruiter telling me I qualified for any MOS the Corps had. I asked for 03, and got it. When I got to SOI, I was assigned as an 0311 ( obviously, the greatest job IN the Corps)

So there's no way to ask the Corps to assign you a MOS when you get to school, and you are just entirely at their mercy?

For the grunts, we got a wish list, but it doesnt mean they will 100% give you your first wish... I got mine though... 0311 baby!!!!!

You get your MOS when you sign your contract and it is confirmed once you graduate from Boot Camp. I cant think of anyone who didnt get their MOS, that is if you dont rock out of school.

It's been about 8 years since I went through MOS school so it could've changed some but last I checked it stil went like this.

1. Bootcamp (obviously)

2. MCT, about a week before you graduate MCT they read off everyone's occ-field, this is where they tell you that you're going to beautiful 29 stumps for a few months of school.

3. Graduate MCT and take a bus (west coast) or plane (east coast) to the stumps to wait for your class to pick up.

You don't really get to pick your exact MOS, you're guaranteed an occ-field.

Hope that helps.

Well, lately I've been hearing things about a three-MOS dream sheet that you get rather than just a contract for a field. Any information on that? Two Marines I talked to got that instead.

Then, pick the 3 jobs you'd most like to do. MOS selection depends alot on "needs of the Corps" at the time you enlist. Obviously, they need more Field Radio Operators than they do, say, Infantrymen. (Believe it or not. Infantry fills up fast).

So, pick the three you like best.

The only dream sheet I ever saw was for duty stations, and as it turned out it didn't matter anyway because there were 2 slots for Quantico and the rest of us were bound for Oki.

Here's A Thought...

While in BOOTCAMP....They will know YOU better than YOU know Yourself.

How do YOU get Picked to be 0311...a GRUNT???

YOU GUESS....(It Isn't Picked Out Of A Hat, or Randomly).

Do YOU think The US Marine Corps are gonna put THEIR BEST to the REAR...or UP FRONT?

What would YOU DO?

Your Abilities, Conduct, Diciplne, Markmanship, and Internal Fortatude will Determine where YOU FIT.

They have only been doing this for the past 231 YEARS.

Good Luck,
    God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle57
    Your Abilities
    The problem is I don't think they check up on your information technology abilities in boot camp, which is the job field an 0651 gets into. I'm worried they'll stick me on radio or wire despite the fact I know I rock hardcore at computers, and therefore should lend my best abilities to the Corps in that aspect.

It's interesting though; two Marines I have talked to have said that they got a sheet that they signed stating that they were guaranteed one of three MOS's. Then there's other Marines that just sign up and are guaranteed an OccFld. What's up with that? And why didn't my recruiter mention the former to me?

See ...first Problem...can't Read, And Understand.

Look YOU ASKED FOR ADVISE.
    IGAVE IT TO YOU.
    IT'S SOLID, IT EVEN MAKES SENCE TO A 6th GRADER....BUT YOU WANT TO QUESTION IT...DISPUTE IT...AND/OR HEAR WHAT YOU WANT TO HEAR.
    I CANNOT HELP YOU ANYMORE.
    GO BACK ...READ MY POST ...EITHER TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT...YOU WILL EVENTUALLY SEE...THE HARD WAY.
    YOU ARE JUST A NUMBER SON.
    GOD BLESS

Quote Originally Posted by Renian
    The problem is I don't think they check up on your information technology abilities in boot camp, which is the job field an 0651 gets into. I'm worried they'll stick me on radio or wire despite the fact I know I rock hardcore at computers, and therefore should lend my best abilities to the Corps in that aspect.

It's interesting though; two Marines I have talked to have said that they got a sheet that they signed stating that they were guaranteed one of three MOS's. Then there's other Marines that just sign up and are guaranteed an OccFld. What's up with that? And why didn't my recruiter mention the former to me?
    You can only have a guranteed MOS if you are in the reserves. If you go active duty, you pick the field and that is all. You may get to fill out a "dream" sheet but that doesn't promise you anything. If you don't want to be a radio person (and we don't want you either) or wireman, then don't sign an 06xx contract. Simple as that.

There is no need for you to argue with us. We know how things work, you do not-- that is why you're hear asking questions. We can't change the rules, and I doubt any of us would if we could. Either take it as we have it, or go somewhere else. Sorry.

As the other Marines have said Renian, you are guaranteed an occupational field. Your recruiter should have told you all this though. The Marine Corps will fill the open position in that field that you have chosen. The main thing is that you are going to be part of the finest branch of service that America has to offer. You can not compare any of the other branches to the United States Marine Corps. That’s like comparing Diamonds to Dirt! So be happy that you have made a decision that few men and women have the guts to make in the first place. Take care and Semper Fi future Marine. P.S. Boot Camp is what you make of it and that goes for the four years you spend in the Marine Corps too.

Thread Information