Moral Dilema
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moral Dilema

Moral Dilema

Ok... here it is.

The Wife has gone to work and I have the rare day off, so I figured I would run this by all of you. My time in the Marine Corps is too short to deploy with my Unit for its next pump back to Iraq. Most of the guys I came into the unit as a Boot are FAP'ed out just like me and will only return for 1 month untill our EAS. My wife is quite pleased with the very low chance of me having to return for a third time.

But there is something eating me up. I cant stop thinking about extending my contract and going back. I cant get the place out of my head. Plus knowing that the Vast majority of the unit going back will be very green, and knowing that the Corps is hurting for bodies makes me want to come back to keep getting some. If I were to extend my wife would literally have panic attack. There is one thing that is different this time though and that is the feeling in my gut that just KNOWS that I will get smoked this time arround. The past two deployments I just had that feeling that I was gonna make it, and it seems to be gone.

Like I said, its a delema. I respect you all and value your opinions, so please pipe in.

Dude Ill be real honest with you . You can try to talk yourself out of it, you can tell yourself a million reasons why you shouldnt go, your family can try convince you , but you and only you know why you HAVE to go. I can comepletely feel for the situation that your in right now. Im in the exact same one. Something inside you , something that cant be explained drives you to serve and be a part of something bigger than yourself.
    Ive come to the conclusion that I cant go. Ive been on 3 deployments and I've served my time. I still feel like I owe but nothing will ever change that. I have a wife , 2 little boys , a good career and a good life. It hasnt been easy but Ive almost made up my mind that I cant go back. Im starting to feel more comfortable with that decision. Its something that you have to be able to live with, but remember man, you've done your time. Nobody can tell you that you copped out or your cutting when your boys needed you. I know that your all twisted up inside but you just have to know that you've done your time. I know you think they need your guidance and your leadership and its true they do but be comfortable knowing that if you dont go there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.
    In any case Marine whatever you decide Semper Fi and be safe.

Credits
    Savings
    You have done more than most

Your loyalty is admirable

Time to think about your family, they need you !

SF
    10thzodiac

I don't post often and I never agree with anything 10th says.....

I do however, agree with him this time. You have done more than most and you owe nothing to anyone but yourself and your family. Time to guide those little ones to being the man that you are! Whatever you decide, good luck and God bless!

skilletsUSMC- It's understood that you care deeply for your fellow Marines. But consider this...you are but one Marine looking out for the new guys. The entire Marine Corps, literally hundreds of thousands of Marines, now has that duty. You have done enough. Your duty now is to your family.

The other thing to consider...All too often, those who are sure they won't come back, don't. The Corps might want you to fight. It doesn't want you to die.

Whatever you decide, my prayers and thoughts are with you, Marine.
    drumcorpssnare

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    That's between you and the Mrs Skillet. I don't know if you two have kids or not, maybe its time. Pass on your character to some younguns of your own.

You know you've done your best to train your men and you know their character. Trust in that. Trust in the Corps.

You know if Iraq turns into a "Big Show", complete with Syrian or Iranian Revolutionary Guards, that you'd be over there in a heartbeat.

'Snare is right. Prayer don't hurt at all. Semper Fi

Skillets, I agree with the rest of the Marines here. You've had your time in combat and survived it, twice.

Your sense of obligation to train the green Marines back in your unit is commendable.

However, you have a wife that's waited on your return twice and she wants you with her. Be loyal and faithful to her now, she's the great partner you'll ever have.

"Stand down Marine"

Credits
    Savings
    Images

SkilletsUSMC,

You have done your time twice. Nobody should or could ever state that you haven't do your time. Be with the family. We can all understand your dilema and being torn between the Corps and family, it is family time. Stand down Marine you have done your part and more.

Semper Fi

My unit is over there for the second time...I chose to let my contract run out and not go because of 3 reasons. My wife and my 2 little girls. I want to be able to run with them as they grow and not have to take the chance of never seeing them again or losing that leg that I need to run with them. After 8 years, it was time for my wife to have my attention and not the Corps. I cant make your mind up for you, but brother, you did your time...give what you have left to your family and be proud that you have made it as far as you have!

Sepmer!

Credits
    Savings
    I am in agreement with the rest on this one, Skillets. You have done your time and served your Country and Corps honorably. It's time for you to make that same commitment to your family. I thank you for your service, but it's time to move on with your family. God Bless and good luck, Marine.

Well I thank everyone for their input. One thing that I may not have made clear is that I dont have kids, but my wife is still family.

I didnt get the reaction I thought I would, and thats ok. What I needed is a push in any direction, my brain housing group is jammed and I need some help clearing it.

One more thing to add, is if not me then who will? I joined the Corps at an older age because I could see that the US was in for a long hard battle and was gonna need me. I dont see that changing now...

SkilletsUSMC

My opinion...and not a Marine...but a Marine's wife for over 31 years...

I live in Jacksonville. and surrounded by Marines...

I hear their stories of why they are in the Marines, and why they want to continue on..or the complete opposite...

I would look into YOUR heart and see what YOU really want....but Please talk over with Your wife the Pro's and Con's in what is the Best for Both of You..

Ellie

Last edited by thedrifter; 01-04-07 at 03:17 PM.

Kids or no kids, my answer remains the same. You have paid your dues and then some. Give you wife all of you for a change. The Corps and America will be just fine.........thanks for your service Marine!

When my time came to EAS from the Marine Corps I was in the same dilemna as yourself. I went to one of the finest officers I knew and explained to him basically what you wrote. This was the answer he gave me hope it can help you in getting past this problem.
    His answer was: Take a bucket and fill it to the brim with water, then make a fist and place on the bottom of the bucket, pull your fist out of the water as rapidly as possible. See how long it takes the water to settle down and this is the time it takes to replace us in life.
    Two tours is enough for anyone and someday you may have children this will be your legacy not Iraq or even the Marine Corps.
    Good luck in whichever path you choose

Skillets, I too agree with the other Marines that have answered your question.You have done your time twice over and now is the time for some one else to take up the slack.As was said you now need to discuss with Mrs. Skillet on what she wants you to do, either way it is a decision that the two of you must make.Go in prayer and seek the will of your Savior or what ever you believe in during time of needs.Semper Fi Marine carry on job well done,take a rest let someone else take the torch and belive me there are many other Marines waiting for this time. Sgt.Matt

Thread Information