Gold Star Siblings

There are many support groups out there for parents, kids, and spouses of soldiers and Marines killed in action but what about their brothers and sisters? A local man wants people to know that there *is* support out there for those who've lost their siblings to war.

David Mitchell and his older brother, George, had a special relationship. They were only 18 months apart.

On April 7th, 2003, David remembers hearing on TV that George's command post near Baghdad had been hit. "That was Monday. On Tuesday, is when the soldiers knocked on the door," said Mitchell. The thirty-five year old husband and father of three was gone. And David had lost his brother forever. But he eventually found a way to work through the pain, with the help of other people across the country who'd lost their siblings to war. "The minute I logged on and signed-up to join their forum and talk, it was like many people took you in and gave you this big hug," said Mitchell.

David joined "Gold Star Siblings"... a non-profit organization in which members support each other and promote patriotism. And now he wants other war siblings to know he's started a Pennsylvania chapter. "They don't have to suffer and try to deal with it like myself, and many other siblings did by ourselves."

David goes to soldier and Marine funerals across PA to let family members know - Gold Star Siblings is there for them. And he's already received responses from several people - like one man who lost his brother in Vietnam, and is thankful to David for starting the PA support group. "I said, 'You know what sir? You're already a member. You just didn't know it. But now we're organized, now we're here for you.'" said Mitchell.

A small pin that carries a hefty weight sits on David's chest - it's one that also carries a special message to others. "I know they're out there, and I'm just trying to reach out to let them know we ARE here," says Mitchell.

Ellie